[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 3d modeling

In article <1305@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (870646c) writes:
>Hi all, I have recently bought an Amiga 2000 do do some 3d modeling etc.
>My question is "Could someone who has or is doing this type of work on an
>Amiga please let me know which is the best prg. to use(animate 3d, sculpt 3d,
>etc????" I have 3 megs on board so there is no problem of running out of memory
>(that's what they all say).

	It depends largely on what you want to do.

	My personal preference is Videoscape 3D and Modeller 3D.  Videoscape
is a polygon-oriented renderer which generates very reasonable images in
short order.  Modeller 3D is a model creation package which is tuned to
Videoscape, and is very complete.

	Sculpt-3D is a raytracing package with the modelling software built
into the renderer.  The user interface has a few shortcomings, but is well-
liked by many people, and easy to get started with.  The renderer generates
reasonable images (for a raytracer), but it can take many many hours to get
one.

	Silver 3.0 is another raytracing package with a built-in modeller.
The user interface is not as clean as Sculpt's or Modeller 3D's.  However,
the images it generates are excellent, and the renderer is relatively quick,
too (for a raytracer).

	There is also Forms in Flight, but I've never played with it.

	Interchange is a program which allows you to port objects between
any of the above programs (their object formats are all different).  This is
useful if you like one program's modelling interface, but another program's
renderer.

	Play with all of them, and pick the one you like.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac