[comp.sys.amiga] experiences with A2090A

AXDRW@UDEL.EDU, (10/13/88)

  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com - writes ...

>Attached are the initial experiences one of my co-workers has had
>with the recently released A2090A hard disk controller.  I have
>edited some of Dave's "more critical remarks" [ items in brackets ].
>Suffice it to say that he is less than happy with the product, and
>more than a little bit upset.

>> I bought a 40 meg Seagate ST251 to connect to my new 2090A disk
>> controller last weekend and had a number of problems installing
>> the drive.  [Most of the problems can be attributed to inadequate
>> documentation, and to what appears to be faulty software.]
>>
>> There are a number of things you have to do before you can get Prep
>> to work which are not mentioned in the documentation.  If you
>> don't do them the system will either crash, hang, or make your disk
>> assume unnatural positions.
>>
>> 1.  Don't run interlaced Workbench.

don't know about this...

>> 2.  Make sure your Workbench has enough room on it for the driver,
>>     its icon, the mountlist, and Prep.

There is a nifty icon on my A2090A driver disk called Install,
it copies the necessary files to your workbench disk.  It even checks
to make sure you have enough space, it gives you a choice of what to
delete even, and then deletes them for you.  What could be easier?

>> 3.  Turn off C00000 memory using nofastmem.  (This one I couldn't
>>     believe.  I should expect Commodore software to work on a stock
>>     Amiga 2000).  DON'T DO FASTMEMFIRST!

I didn't have any problem at all using both C00000 memory and Fastmemfirst
on my A2000 with the A2052 memory board.

>> 4.  Check your mountlist entry carefully.  The one generated by the
>>     Install program doesn't seem to work.  In particular, the
>>     "Reserved" field should have a value of 2.  Also, verify that the
>>     number of heads and blocks per track for your disk is correct.

Again, it worked perfect the first time.

>> 5.  If all else fails, try using the original Workbench disk (the
>>     one that came with the machine).

Hey, what a great idea!  Imagine them writing it so it works on the default
workbench setup, instead of anyone's strange startup disk setup.

>> Does anyone know if the fast file system is implemented at the device
>> driver level or at the DOS level?  The disk access is much faster than
>> I expected so I'm wondering if I already have it.

The device driver has nothing to do with the DOS format.  I did some
comparisons using diskperf on my SCSI hard disk running FFS and DF1:

        read    write   avg k/sec
DH1    374491  262144     310.9
DF1     12136    5190       8.5

The word fast does come to mind...  Your milage may vary, depending
on driving conditions ;-)

>> The controller board came with two ROMs to be installed with
>> Kickstart 1.3 to add autobooting. The documentation said that
>> Seagate SCSI drives cannot autoboot because of the long latency
>> in initialization.

The document actually states: "You cannot autoboot with a Seagate SCSI hard
drive and an A2090A Controller Card because of the long initialization process
in the Seagate power-up sequence."
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can autoboot after power-up, just try the three finger neck pinch.

>> After only 2 days of operation, my new Seagate disk started getting
>> massive numbers of r/w errors.  DOS couldn't even validate it, and the
>> whole thing became corrupted.

Bummer, I've had my system up for over a week now.  With absolutly no
trouble.

I've got an A2000, 3 Meg RAM, AmigaDOS 1.3, Seagate ST277N (62MB...),
and A2090A of course.  Hope you get your system working.
Don R Withey                    BITNET: AXDRW@ALASKA.BITNET
University of Alaska            BIX:    dwithey
3211 U.A.A. Drive
Anchorage, Alaska  99508
907-786-1074 (work) 907-277-9063 (home) 907-274-6378 (other home)
Any expressed opinion is my own and in no way represents that of my employer,
the University of Alaska.

perley@mazda.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (10/15/88)

In article <4824@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW@UDEL.EDU, writes:
+  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com - writes ...

+>>  The documentation said that
+>> Seagate SCSI drives cannot autoboot because of the long latency
+>> in initialization.

+The document actually states: "You cannot autoboot with a Seagate SCSI hard
+drive and an A2090A Controller Card because of the long initialization process
+in the Seagate power-up sequence."

+You can autoboot after power-up, just try the three finger neck pinch.

But for a warm boot you could do it off the ram disk, so what good
does the A2090*A* do?  Or can you power on, let the boot fail, wait for
the drive to initialize, then reboot?

-don perley

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (10/15/88)

In article <12350@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@mazda.steinmetz.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:

>But for a warm boot you could do it off the ram disk, so what good
>does the A2090*A* do?  Or can you power on, let the boot fail, wait for
>the drive to initialize, then reboot?

Yes. The Seagates take approx. 25 seconds to initialize from power-on.
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

In article <4997@cbmvax.UUCP> joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) writes:
>Yes. The Seagates take approx. 25 seconds to initialize from power-on.
>  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,

A) 25 seconds? My ST-157 takes 18seconds from first power to last "whir-beep"
Your mileage may vary.

Anyway, the other solution is to buy one of those power sequencers that
various people use to power cycle time sequenced critical equipment (like a
Seagate drive and a 2000).  Give the Seagate a 20sec head start and you
should be fine.

The other two amazing items are :
	1) The autoboot code doesn't try again after a while. Certainly it
	   should move through the available autoboot devices repeatedly until
	   one of them boots. This would allow leaving DF0: either empty
	   or filled with an uninstalled disk as a valid option to getting
	   your seagate to boot.

	2) People are so worked up about it in the first place. My personal
	   experience may not be valid here but I find that over 90% of the
	   reboots I do are *not* from power-zero, rather they are of the
	   three fingered variety, instigated from the keyboard.

Cheers,
--Chuck McManis