[comp.sys.amiga] Whither Prolog?

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (10/16/88)

I'm doing a Prolog course this term. Having a Prolog at home to experiment
with would be very convenient. What sort of (preferably PD) Prolog support
is available? What sort of memory requirements do current implementations
include (I have 2.5 megs)?

John
--
"The 68000 processor can't possibly handle a colour display. You must have a
 68020 system and not know it."

In article <4936@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
|I'm doing a Prolog course this term. Having a Prolog at home to experiment
|with would be very convenient. What sort of (preferably PD) Prolog support
|is available? What sort of memory requirements do current implementations
|include (I have 2.5 megs)?

UNH (University of New Hampshire) Prolog is available for $75. Call
(603)862-3778 for more info.  There is a review of this package in the
new issue of AmigaWorld (November 1988).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

hummel@s.cs.uiuc.edu (10/17/88)

Written  6:19 pm  Oct 15, 1988 by john13@garfield.MUN.EDU in comp.sys.amiga
/* ---------- "Whither Prolog?" ---------- */
> I'm doing a Prolog course this term. Having a Prolog at home to experiment
> with would be very convenient. What sort of (preferably PD) Prolog support
> is available? What sort of memory requirements do current implementations
> include (I have 2.5 megs)?
/* End of text from comp.sys.amiga */

Stony Brook Prolog (SBProlog) is available on Fish Disks 140-141.  The
Fish, Amicus, and CUCUG (Champaign-Urbana Commodore Users' Group) collections
are available for anonymous FTP at:

		128.174.5.54	uxe.cso.uiuc.edu uxe uiucuxe

I know this isn't much of a place for an "advertisement", but since our
supply of the latest Fish disks has been running behind, I've taken the
opportunity to upload the CUCUG collection mentioned above.  There are
monthly disks (ten so far) plus a Jukebox disk (w/player) and a Sound
disk (w/player).  There's a fair amount of original material on these
disks, downloaded from the nation's BBSs by our diligent club librarian
and snake oil salesman, Kevin Hisel.  All neatly run-able from the
Workbench, and guaranteed to provide hours of fun and amusement for the
whole family:-)

For those without FTP access, disks can be ordered by mail for $6 each
from:
		CUCUG
		P.O. Box 716
		Champaign, IL  61820

				< Lionel
----------

Lionel Hummel					404 W. High St., #6
ldh90267@uiucuxa.cso.uiuc.edu			Urbana, IL  61801
{seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxa!ldh90267		(H)  (217)344-5303
Dept. of Computer Science			(W)  (217)333-7408

Headline from this week's National Computer Science Enquirer:

	CIA SECRET: Proof of P=NP found in UFO!

#include <disclaimer.h>

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/18/88)

In article <4936@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>I'm doing a Prolog course this term. Having a Prolog at home to experiment
>with would be very convenient. What sort of (preferably PD) Prolog support
>is available?

I use Stony Brook Prolog, which is copyrighted but explicitly made freely
redistributable.  The amiga port is contained on fish disks #140 and 141.
It runs just like its Unix counterpart (ignoring speed differences caused
by different processors/clock rates).  If you can't easily get ahold of
fish disks, but do have network access, you can get zoo files of fish
disks contents via anonymous FTP from "uxe.cso.uiuc.edu".  These two disks
are in the directories "amiga/fish/ff140" and "amiga/fish/ff141".

>What sort of memory requirements do current implementations
>include (I have 2.5 megs)?

One meg isn't quite enough, but 2.5 should be quite comfortable (I have 3
meg).  SB-Prolog does have options to change the amount of space allocated
for the static areas.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/18/88)

Stony Brook Prolog is available on fish disks 140 and 141.

A prolog called 'VT Prolog' appeared on fish disk 145.

I'd like to find the latest version of VT Prolog.  Any pointers?

..Bob (not endorsing either)
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I can't tell the difference between ABC News and Hill Street Blues" -Bono