[comp.sys.amiga] Notepad...?

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (10/09/88)

I've a question.  I wanted to use the Notepad to store a full manual
for a software product, but it refuses to store more than 9801 bytes.

Why?

What causes this limitation?

I know the manuals state that it is for short notes, hence the name
Notepad, but I still want to use it for more.  Can I do that?  How?

I looked at the manuals that came with my A500, and I've looked at the
three RKM's I have, none of them indicate what the limitation is.

Help?  Please?

					Thanks!

P.S.  Please respond by mail, I will summarize the results.
--
...!hadron\   "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?" | Edwin Wiles
  ...!sundc\   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (10/12/88)

In article <999@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>I've a question.  I wanted to use the Notepad to store a full manual
>for a software product, but it refuses to store more than 9801 bytes.
>
>Why?

My suggestion to you is to avoid NotePad.  It is a toy word processor,
and is slow and buggy as sin.  You'd be much happier with a real program
like WordPerfect or something else...

-scott

ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) (10/13/88)

In article <820@applix.UUCP>, scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
> My suggestion to you is to avoid NotePad.  It is a toy word processor,
> and is slow and buggy as sin.  You'd be much happier with a real program
> like WordPerfect or something else...

Scott, you"re being far too kind to NotePad to even give it the status
of a 'toy' word processor.  In all probability he'd be happier with a
brick, not to mention a "real program" like WP, etc.

This one hit a nerve with me, 'cause I think NotePad is the worst of
several bad things Commodore did with the Amiga software; it's SO bad
it's a disservice to the machine.  I made the mistake otrying to get
my wife enthused about the idea of using the Amiga by turning her loose
with NotePad (worse yet, NotePad 1.1 that came with my 1000!)  It's taken
a year to undo the damage!!  It escapes me why one would want to put a
piece of software SO unstable and buggy on every system sold!

Whew.... I've wanted to get that off my chest for a long time!!! :)

Scott Denham

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (10/13/88)

In article <820@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>My suggestion to you is to avoid NotePad.  It is a toy word processor,
>and is slow and buggy as sin.  You'd be much happier with a real program
>like WordPerfect or something else...
now, let's see, about half of us are complaining about good ol' JP
because he doesn't like the amiga for one reason or another. And the
other half are pointing out things that would get anybody's blood pressure
up about our favorite machine- like the above-mentioned notepad, which
should have been shipped working or should not have been shipped.
   How many programs that come with the amiga are worth ANYTHING?
Notepad stinks, amigabasic stinks, i guess the calculator is ok ...
is it any real surprise that Pournelle pans the machine? I think he
is right on the money in a lot of his evaluations. Especially re
Electronic Arts and their crummy copy protection schemes. The code
wheel is just about the most rotten deal imaginable. Maybe we ought to
lead a boycott of EA till they get their act together- except it would
hurt the Amiga. EA IS hurting the Amiga with copy protection, though.
Some ally.
   Where he misses the mark is when he tries do design a computer
language; or he cites some law (named after himself)
about 'silicon is cheap, iron is expensive' and acts like he discovered
something that everybody knew already; or he decides the best PC is
a multiprocessor with each processor running one
copy of CP/M (he really did this, long before he moved
over to IBM-like stuff); or ... well, you get it.
He is a real good user, but he oughtta stay out of the computer systems
morass.
ron

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (10/14/88)

I have found that Notepad is a WYDSIWYSW editor.  What You Don't See Is What
Your's Stuck With.  Especially when trying to create a Notepad document with
a sample of all the various fonts.  I changed to a second font, changed my
mind, deleted the text, change to a 3rd, deleted, changed to a 4th, etc, and
then tried to insert some new text in front of the line.  Guess which font
it used?  Beats me!  If it had some sort of "display codes" feature this
would not have been a problem.

The only use for Notepad is a two-page README file for the beginning users.

To the original poster:  If you are intending to have a manual that can be
invoked by clicking on an icon, then do like Fred Fish and include a program
like "less" or "more" to display the manual.  Don't use Notepad.

| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

barrett@jhunix.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (10/18/88)

In article <821@super.ORG> rminnich@duper.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>Electronic Arts and their crummy copy protection schemes. The code
>wheel is just about the most rotten deal imaginable. Maybe we ought to
>lead a boycott of EA till they get their act together- except it would
>hurt the Amiga. EA IS hurting the Amiga with copy protection, though.

	Be aware that EA does not copy protect all its games.  For example,
Bard's Tale II is unprotected... not to mention all the "Deluxe" series
programs.