[comp.sys.amiga] CRETIN MANOR MAIL/keymaps

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (10/19/88)

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) writes:
>I know I could have written a keymap for the Amiga, I doubt that a
>novice could have (I suppose if he had heard of Amiga and knew an
>Amiga programmer who could write a keymap, the story would have ended
>differently).

There's a program out there called "SetKey" written by one Charles
Carter (a very talented guy who has just had his "Hole in One Miniature
Golf" game released by DigiTek).  SetKey WAS a commercial endeavor
by Charles but it basically went nowhere so he released it to the p/d.
Designed for the A1000 keyboard, SetKey's purpose in life is to let
even a novice make custom keymaps and save them back to disk.  Its
operating screen is a nicely rendered depiction of an A1000 keyboard...
you just click any key (including a shifted, ctrld, or alt'd key) and
enter the new mapping into a string gadget.  Get everything the way you
want it, then save the new map to disk and use a "Setmap Fookeys" in
your startup sequence and whammo, remapped keys.  SetMap's ARChive
even includes a few premade keymaps including one to play Infocom
games with (i.e.: the up-arrow cursor pad key has been remapped to
spit out "Go North" when you hit it), one to make AmigaDOS ED
friendlier, and a couple more.

By the way, check out Piers Anthony's MACROSCOPE if you've never read it.
A rather amazing book.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->