[comp.sys.amiga] BADGE KDC meeting info needed.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/10/88)

If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
judged at this month's BADGE meeting. I've got the chance to be in the
Bay area around the 19th to 21st of October. Can someone supply me with
the details on where and when? (I know the SF and Marin area a bit, but
don't know more than the general location of Berkley.)

Is it possible to get copies of the entries/winners at the meeting?

	Hopefully, Blaine.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/13/88)

.If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
.judged at this month's BADGE meeting.

Yep, sure will.  Actually, the Oneth Annual.  It will be held at
Turing Auditorium at Stanford University.

From 280, take the Page Mill exit (or is it called Oregon Expy
there?) heading west.  At El Camino Real, head north, past
California Avenue, past Serra/Park, past the Town and Country
shopping center, and to University Avenue (which is Palm Drive
on the Stanford Side.)  Take a left on University Avenue (the
exit right before the underpass.)

From 101, go south until you hit the University Avenue exit;
go east on University avenue, until it turns into Palm drive.

Now everyone should be on Stanford Campus on Palm Drive.  Take
a right on Campus Drive.  You will make a gradual left turn when
on Campus, followed by a more ubrupt right turn.  After this
right turn, take a left on Via Ortega.  Go down a block and a half,
and park in either parking lot.  Turing is behind the buildings
facing the parking lot on your right.

The contest will start at 8:00.

.Is it possible to get copies of the entries/winners at the meeting?

No.  Unfortunately, the scores will need to be tallied and that
will take a bit.  A small donation will guarantee that at least the
top three winners will be sent to you; a larger donation is always
appreciated.  I'm not sure what small is, but it is either $5.00
or $10.00 . . .

See you there!

kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Gordon Moffett) (10/13/88)

In article <4424@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>.If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
>.judged at this month's BADGE meeting.
>
>Yep, sure will.  Actually, the Oneth Annual.  It will be held at
>Turing Auditorium at Stanford University.
>
>From 280, take the Page Mill exit (or is it called Oregon Expy
                    ^^^^^^^^^  this is the correct name...

>there?) heading west.  At El Camino Real, head north, past
>California Avenue, past Serra/Park, past the Town and Country
>shopping center, and to University Avenue (which is Palm Drive
>on the Stanford Side.)  Take a left on University Avenue (the
>exit right before the underpass.)
>
>From 101, go south until you hit the University Avenue exit;
>go east on University avenue, until it turns into Palm drive.
    ^^^^ this should be WEST

--
UUCP:  kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (10/16/88)

In article <1002@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
                       ^^^
			+-----  aarrrggg

Not to be picky, but everytime I see 1st for the 2nd killer demo contest
I want to bite my lip. If you want to keep it computerish then I think
the proper term is 1th (pronounced oneth). I'm not flaming you Blaine,
I tried emailing Randy Spencer awhile back about what I consider a misuse
of terminolgy but it bounced, maybe on purpose?.

I hope Mr. Proctor, my high school English teacher appreciates what I
am trying to do.

This isn't comp.sys.amiga.tech is it? good. Hope I don't beat over the
head to much for this posting.

--
Dale Luck     Boing, Inc. {uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}|!amiga!boing!dale
Although I do contract work for Amiga-LosGatos, my opinions probably

u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@utah-gr.UUCP (John M. Olsen) (10/16/88)

In article <438@boing.UUCP> dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>In article <1002@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
>                       ^^^
>			+-----  aarrrggg
>
>the proper term is 1th (pronounced oneth).
>I hope Mr. Proctor, my high school English teacher appreciates what I
>am trying to do.

I would think Mr. Proctor would be upset at using the "th" suffix on the
number 1. :^)  It *used* to be bad style.  Besides, this would make next
year's the 2th (pronounced tooth?) contest.  This could get very
confusing. :^O

Your reasoning decays at the number 4, where it's the 4th contest
irrespective of your counting system, even if it's the fifth time the
contest has been held.  Ya gotta love it.

>Dale Luck     Boing, Inc. {uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}|!amiga!boing!dale

 /|  |     /|||  /\|       | John M. Olsen, 1547 Jamestown Drive
 \|()|\|\_  |||. \/|/)@|\_ | Salt Lake City, UT  84121-2051
  |	u-jmolse%ug@cs.utah.edu	or  ...!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse
		"Heisenburg may have been here."

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/17/88)

From article <438@boing.UUCP>, by dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck):
> In article <1002@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
>                        ^^^
> 			+-----  aarrrggg
>
> Not to be picky, but everytime I see 1st for the 2nd killer demo contest
> I want to bite my lip. If you want to keep it computerish then I think
> the proper term is 1th (pronounced oneth). I'm not flaming you Blaine,

No problem, I agree its a bit silly to call the second contest the 1st,
but that's the way its been promoted.

1th? Ok, sounds good to me.

So from here on out we've got the 1th, 2th, 3th, 4th (naa, 4th is
already taken, 4st?) Annual BADGE KDC?

Or should we just call the joke a success and renumber the contests from
1 instead of 0?

Insert :-) as required.
--

kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (10/19/88)

In article <1011@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>From article <438@boing.UUCP>, by dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck):
>> In article <1002@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>>If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
>>                        ^^^
>> 			+-----  aarrrggg
>>
>> Not to be picky, but everytime I see 1st for the 2nd killer demo contest
>> I want to bite my lip. If you want to keep it computerish then I think
>> the proper term is 1th (pronounced oneth). I'm not flaming you Blaine,
>
>No problem, I agree its a bit silly to call the second contest the 1st,
>but that's the way its been promoted.
>
>1th? Ok, sounds good to me.
>
>So from here on out we've got the 1th, 2th, 3th, 4th (naa, 4th is
>already taken, 4st?) Annual BADGE KDC?

  I think trying to use 1st, 2nd.... is never going to work.  We should
start refering to this BKD as Badge Killer Demo contest number 1.  The
first one was of course 0.  This is how I refer to elements of an array
in C.  0 is the first......

>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

Kevin
--

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/19/88)

In article <1011@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>From article <438@boing.UUCP>, by dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck):
>> In article <1002@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>>If memory serves, the 1st annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest is due to be
>>                        ^^^
>> 			+-----  aarrrggg
>>
>> Not to be picky, but everytime I see 1st for the 2nd killer demo contest
>> I want to bite my lip. If you want to keep it computerish then I think
>> the proper term is 1th (pronounced oneth).
>Or should we just call the joke a success and renumber the contests from
>1 instead of 0?

How about "The annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest #1"?
Or "The #1 annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest"?
And "BKDC #1" for short?
In other words, drop the "st" and "th" and make it clear that it is
an arbitrary numbering scheme.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University