[comp.sys.amiga] drive

stuff@crash.cts.com (David Yip) (10/14/88)

I've had an amiga 500 for 11 weeks now.  The last 7 of which it's been in
the shop for drive problems.  Ever week or so, it comes back supposedly
fixed.  Ever week or so, I take it back to get it fixed.  Now the dealer
I bought it from tells me I need a new drive, but they won't cover it
under the warranty.  No way am I going to buy another garbage drive from
Commodore for $170.00.  Has anyone replaced their internal drive with a
generic 3 1/4 inch drive from say Toshiba or Sony?  Or is there something
special about the drive Commodore uses?

David Yip
stuff@crash.cts.com
yipd@sds.sdsc.edu

dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) (10/15/88)

In article <3526@crash.cts.com> stuff@crash.cts.com (David Yip) writes:
>I've had an amiga 500 for 11 weeks now.  The last 7 of which it's been in
>the shop for drive problems.  Ever week or so, it comes back supposedly
>fixed.  Ever week or so, I take it back to get it fixed.  Now the dealer
>I bought it from tells me I need a new drive, but they won't cover it
>under the warranty.  No way am I going to buy another garbage drive from
>Commodore for $170.00.  Has anyone replaced their internal drive with a
>generic 3 1/4 inch drive from say Toshiba or Sony?  Or is there something
>special about the drive Commodore uses?
>
>David Yip
>stuff@crash.cts.com
>yipd@sds.sdsc.edu

Upon specific recommendation of my dealer, I had the original drive in
my brand new 2000 changed to a Prodrive even before it left the store.
I have subsequently added another drive (drive 0 on left :-) and have
had 0 problems with either.  I think that the actual drive itself is
made by NEC.  Of course, some people on the net do not like their
drive lights to be GREEN, but I would not like to start that flame war
up again.

The dealer services Amigas and said that the drive uses such exotic
materials as metal where the original drive uses the more comventional
plastic.  I was also told that there were fewer returns (if any, I
cannot remember all the details).

I do not know if the drive can be used internally in a 500 but I would
sure check it out.  I am happy with mine.

--
| @ @     //  - This space still under construction -   Dave Kinzer         |
|  L     //                                             noao!nud!fbog!dbk   |

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (10/18/88)

stuff@crash.cts.com (David Yip) writes:
>I've had an amiga 500 for 11 weeks now.  The last 7 of which it's been in
>the shop for drive problems.  Ever week or so, it comes back supposedly
>fixed.  Ever week or so, I take it back to get it fixed.  Now the dealer
>I bought it from tells me I need a new drive, but they won't cover it
>under the warranty.  No way am I going to buy another garbage drive from
>Commodore for $170.00.  Has anyone replaced their internal drive with a
>generic 3 1/4 inch drive from say Toshiba or Sony?  Or is there something
>special about the drive Commodore uses?

        Why won't the dealer cover it?  Did you buy it from the local dealer?
Make sure to get receipts of the work already done from the dealer, and if
you have any problems try contacting Commodore.  Assuming you bought a new
machine which you had for only 4 weeks before having problems with the drive,
it seems to me it should be fixed under warrenty, especially here in
California.

        Like I said, try contacting Commodore.  It's not good for the Amiga's
rep to have this kind of thing happen.

                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM
Opionions expressed are mine, and not necessarily those of my employer.

koeppel@porthos.rutgers.edu (jess) (10/19/88)

A friend of mine has been thinking about buying an Amiga 500, mostly
by my recommendation. Since we made the decision for the Amiga, I've
been reading this newsgroup and have seen more than a few comlaints
about drive problems. They seem to occur very quickly. Within a few
months of owning the machine, people comlpain that the drive needs
repairing, I also seem to notice that the repairs haven't seemed to be
accomplishing much. Can anyone comment on this? I like the Amiga a
lot, and for lack of resources will get the 500 as opposed to the
2000, but I am becoming a bit wary...

			      			jess
				    koeppel@porthos.rutgers.edu

stuff@crash.cts.com (David Yip) (10/20/88)

When I took apart my Amiga drive to find out why it was jamming, I found out
that the magnet had fallen off the write protect switch and was preventing
the tray from sliding forward.  Isn't it a bad idea to have a magnet inside
a disk drive.  All the drives that I've seen generally use a mechanical
or optical switch.