[comp.sys.amiga] Info about Overdrive Pacific Peripherals ?

FINEBERG%WUMS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/20/88)

From:   uucp%"disd@hubcap.uucp" 20-OCT-1988 00:43
To:     FINEBERG_C
Subj:   Re: Info about Overdrive Pacific Periphials ?

From: Gary Heffelfinger <disd@hubcap.uucp>
Subject: Re: Info about Overdrive Pacific Periphials ?
Date: 18 Oct 88 15:56:23 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

From article <3270@hubcap.UUCP>, Gary Hefflefinger <disd@hubcap.uucp>:
>From article <44798@neabbs.UUCP>, by amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS):
>>

>> Since everyone is talking about controllers and harddrives
>> these days can anyone tell me something about the
>> Overdrive standard configuration (Controller + 30Mb Seagate) ?
>Well, I can tell you about the Overdrive paired with an ST157N (~50M).
>It performed really well in the time that I had it.  I had one in my now
>dead B2000.  Before it (the 2000) went POP I was enjoying it very much.
>Keep in mind that I'm easy to please, but I thought that it performed
>smoothly, and was pretty fast.  After hearing all the talk on the net
>about how slow DOS 1.2 is with hard disks, I wasn't expecting much in
>the way of speed.  If this is slow, I can't *wait* to see FFS!
> [Infant mortality deleted :-)]
>Gary

I have exactly the same setup and it is very good.  Well it sure beats
the h*ll out of floppies.  I have two identical 2000's running with
the Pacific Peripherals Overdrive controller and there have been no
problems with it.  Another installation of the card came up with a
problem in the PP software.  The provided mountlist modification
program always assumes that the ST157N has 608(?) cylinders, but this
is not always so.  Some drives seem to be released with 607 cylinders.
If you get a formatting error on the last sector then you should
modify your mountlist entry by hand.  Other than that there have been
no problems.  Can anybody compare the Overdrive to the GVP products?
These machines are for the lab, should I get the same thing at home?
        Charlie