[comp.sys.amiga] Info about Overdrive Pacific Periphials ?

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) (10/15/88)

Since everyone is talking about controllers and harddrives
these days can anyone tell me something about the
Overdrive standard configuration (Controller + 30Mb Seagate) ?

Michel Langereis

UUCP: ...mcvax!telmail!neabbs!amichel

2Wire: +31 (0)20 - 74 [2717] [2818]
Paper: +31 (0)20 - 742506

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (10/18/88)

From article <44798@neabbs.UUCP>, by amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS):

> Since everyone is talking about controllers and harddrives
> these days can anyone tell me something about the
> Overdrive standard configuration (Controller + 30Mb Seagate) ?
Well, I can tell you about the Overdrive paired with an ST157N (~50M).
It performed really well in the time that I had it.  I had one in my now
dead B2000.  Before it (the 2000) went POP I was enjoying it very much.
Keep in mind that I'm easy to please, but I thought that it performed
smoothly, and was pretty fast.  After hearing all the talk on the net
about how slow DOS 1.2 is with hard disks, I wasn't expecting much in
the way of speed.  If this is slow, I can't *wait* to see FFS!

However, since I only had mine a few days before my 2000 died, and I
haven't determined if the Overdrive had anything to do with said death,
I may not be the best one to talk about it.  A friend of mine here at
Clemson is running the same setup.  Perhaps he'll comment.  Robert?

Gary

--
Gary Heffelfinger  -  Not speaking for Clemson Univ.  (ISD)
uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!disd    inet: disd@hubcap.clemson.edu

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (10/20/88)

In article <3270@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
->From article <44798@neabbs.UUCP>, by amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS):
->>
->>
->> Since everyone is talking about controllers and harddrives
->> these days can anyone tell me something about the
->> Overdrive standard configuration (Controller + 30Mb Seagate) ?
->Well, I can tell you about the Overdrive paired with an ST157N (~50M).
->It performed really well in the time that I had it.  I had one in my now
->dead B2000.  Before it (the 2000) went POP I was enjoying it very much.
->Keep in mind that I'm easy to please, but I thought that it performed
->smoothly, and was pretty fast.  After hearing all the talk on the net
->about how slow DOS 1.2 is with hard disks, I wasn't expecting much in
->the way of speed.  If this is slow, I can't *wait* to see FFS!
->
->However, since I only had mine a few days before my 2000 died, and I
->haven't determined if the Overdrive had anything to do with said death,
->I may not be the best one to talk about it.  A friend of mine here at
->Clemson is running the same setup.  Perhaps he'll comment.  Robert?
->

I have had an Overdrive controller for about 2 1/2 months (1 week
working).  This is a long story so be warned!

we purchased a Seagate 157N drive and an Overdrive controller for our
3Meg 2000 here in our lab.  The 157N wouldn't work with the controller
since the drive's byte count disagreed with the older 157N specs
(I'm told they have changed and this has been reported to Pacific
Peripherals). With help from Pac. Periph. Tech. support, we got this
working OK. This is when I found out that the controller was bad.
Call PP again, they say "send it back and we'll send you a new
one...". We sent it back and waited... and waited... and waited...
Call... call... call.............  Excuses used by Pacific
Peripherals:

	1)	We're fixing it!  (huh? where's my new one?)
	2)	The girl forgot to ship it, I'll do it myself today.
	3)	Wasn't it shipped? Let me check....
	4)	I'm sorry, we're moving right now....
	5)	etc.......

The local dealer had to order a new one for me.

Well, now that I have it and got it installed, formatted, and
partitioned, it seems to work ok.  I do get more frequent crashes
than on my system at home (only diff. is that at home I have a 2090
and a 251 drive).  Also, my 640x400x4 bit plane anims look more
jerky on the lab computer.  Any ideas on why?

The drive+controller does seem quite fast.  I have no complaints about
the performance.  Also, I know someone else on the net that has
2 A2000's in his lab and both have Overdrives with 157N's.  They
have worked perfectly so far (same age as ours).

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel       Best way: (314)889-6379
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

robert@hubcap.UUCP (Robert Reynolds) (10/20/88)

In article <3270@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
> ->From article <44798@neabbs.UUCP>, by amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS):
> ->> Since everyone is talking about controllers and harddrives
> ->> these days can anyone tell me something about the
> ->> Overdrive standard configuration (Controller + 30Mb Seagate) ?
> ->Well, I can tell you about the Overdrive paired with an ST157N (~50M).
>  [Generally positive comments deleted.]
> ->I may not be the best one to talk about it.  A friend of mine here at
> ->Clemson is running the same setup.  Perhaps he'll comment.  Robert?

OK, so I'm a little slow reading news these days.  I have the same
Overdrive hardcard configuration as Gary, the ST157N.  I don't have any
nifty transfer rate testing software, so I can only give you subjective
impressions.  If somebody wants to mail me some nifty testing software,
or for that matter just some ideas on how to measure performance, I'd be
interested in providing some `hard' data.

I have had absolutely zero problems with the system in the month or so
I've had it.  I'm still using 1.2, and my reaction to the allegedly slow
disk response is like Gary's:  ``This is slow?!''  I'm looking forward
to 1.3 and the FFS, but I'm happy enough with current performance that
I'll probably wait to get 1.3 until an ARP compatible with it is released.

I have some fairly large directories that get searched reasonably
frequently, like c: and bin and AmigaTeX fonts.  Maybe I'm just easy to
please, but I'm quite happy with the response I'm getting.

Speaking of AmigaTeX, allow me to break into an advertisement.  Tomas
Rokicki has done a remarkable job with the TeX port, the previewer, and
the NEC P6 driver (he's probably done a wonderful job with the other
drivers, but I don't own any of them).  I never would have believed I
could get such quality from any dot matrix printer.  If you're
interested in producing quality output on your Amiga and you're not hung
up on WYSIWYG you owe it to yourself to check out AmigaTeX.

Disclaimers:  I'm just a happy customer of Pacific Peripherals, Seagate,
and Radical Eye Software (AmigaTeX).  I have no business relationship
with any of them.  I've never met Tomas, but I'd like to.  And, no, I
don't speak for Clemson University (I'm not sure anybody does).

--
Robert Reynolds                 uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!robert
CS Dept, Clemson Univ.    	ARPA: ROBERT@TECNET-CLEMSON.ARPA

rss@ece-csc.UUCP (ML) (10/21/88)

I've had the Overdrive controller with ST157N drive (48Meg) now for about
7-8 months.  It's worked flawlessly so far.  No crashes or problems as
of yet.

Seems like a good combination.

I don't believe the controller autoboots with the V1.3 release of the
OS but I don't know this for certain.  It may be possible that mine
does not but newer versions of the controller card may.
Of course, since I haven't got V1.3 yet either....

          Mark Lanzo  (borrowing ...ece-csc!rss)