[comp.sys.amiga] AmiTeX

ugfeldmn@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Jon Feldman) (10/17/88)

I'm interested in purchasing this product.  I know it's produced by Radical
Eye Software, but I have no idea what their EMail/US Snail address is.

Some questions:

	+ How much is it going for, lately?  (TeX itself, the fonts, the
					      previewer, and a printer driver)

	+ Is there a printer driver available for a CItoh ProWriter?
		If so, approximately how fast does it print?

	+ What _is_ Radical Eye's address?

	+ Is anybody out there dissatisfied with AmiTeX for one reason or
	  another?

Much thanks.

						--Jon
--
Jon Z. Feldman                      | "A fool's brain digests philosophy into
ugfeldmn@joey.cs.buffalo.edu        | folly, science into superstition, and art

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/18/88)

Incidentally, it's called AmigaTeX.

In article <1998@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugfeldmn@sunybcs.UUCP (Jon Feldman) writes:
>Some questions:
>	+ How much is it going for, lately?  (TeX itself, the fonts, the
>					      previewer, and a printer driver)

AmigaTeX is $200 (that's initex, TeX, all the standard macros including
LaTeX and all its macros, tfm files for all standard fonts, previewer, pk
font files for all standard fonts).  The printer drivers are sold separately
and are $100 each.

>	+ Is there a printer driver available for a CItoh ProWriter?
>		If so, approximately how fast does it print?

It is not listed as being available.  However, the manual does say "if you
have a printer not on the list and not compatible with any on the list,
call us."  The printers on the list include several QMS printers,
PostScript, LaserJet, Epson LQ and MX series, and the ImageWriter II.
Some less expensive printers will not have the resolution or clarity to
make TeX output look decent.  Tom Rokicki (Mr. AmigaTeX) recommends either
a laser printer or a 24 pin printer.

>	+ What _is_ Radical Eye's address?

	Radical Eye Software
	P.O. Box 2081
	Stanford, CA  94309

>	+ Is anybody out there dissatisfied with AmiTeX for one reason or
>	  another?

Quite to the contrary.  It is a wonderful package.  It uses ARexx for
inter communication that allows the previewer to display page 1 while TeX
is still working on page 2.  I have not seen that it any other TeX
environment, and it is a really wonderful feature (provided you have
enough memory to run both simultaneously---1 meg is almost enough).  There
are many other nice features about the system...too many to enumerate
here.  I'll be glad to mail more details (about features and such) to
anyone who requests it.  I think that it's worth the price (and I won't
say that about very many $200 pieces of software).  His upgrade policy is
also very reasonable ($10 per disk---some upgrades may only require 1 or 2
disks).

If you want to "try before you buy", he has a demo disk that he sends out
for free (at least he did when I requested it).

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (10/19/88)

In article <2018@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
    [ about AmigaTeX ]
>If you want to "try before you buy", he has a demo disk that he sends out
>for free (at least he did when I requested it).

    The demo is also available as Fish Disk #83, if you have access to
that collection.

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/21/88)

>>If you want to "try before you buy", he has a demo disk that he sends out
>>for free (at least he did when I requested it).

>The demo is also available as Fish Disk #83, if you have access to
>that collection.

Please request the new demo; the Fish Disk demo is outdated, difficult
to use, and has some (at this point) incorrect information on it.  The
address is Radical Eye Software, Box 2081, Stanford, CA~~94309.

-tom

intern@dasys1.UUCP (intern ) (10/21/88)

In article <1998@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugfeldmn@sunybcs.UUCP (Jon Feldman) writes:
>I'm interested in purchasing this product.  I know it's produced by Radical
>Eye Software, but I have no idea what their EMail/US Snail address is.
>
>Some questions: ...

US Mail: 	Radical Eye Software
		P.O. Box 2081
		Stanford, CA  94309

UseNet: 	rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU

Price:	$200 for TeX/LaTeX/BibTeX/SliTeX/AmsTeX + fonts + Previewer
	$ 80 for MetaFONT
	$100 for printer driver set (for either Dot-Matrix or Laser)

Since I didn't feel like laying out the bucks for the printer drivers
(and since I have the public domain BEEBE drivers on the VAX), I
adopted the drivers to the amiga.  The drivers work reasonably well
(lots of seeks, though.  I gotta spend some more time cleaning it up).
I do have a driver for the C.Itoh ProWriter since I use it myself.

You need AT LEAST a meg to run LaTeX or MetaFONT.  I have 2.5 Meg
system so I run mg, TeX and the Previewer simultaneously.

If you do order it, make sure to ask for his (Tom's) version of mg.
It is ARexx compatible (and so is TeX).  Make sure to get ARExx too.

I'm very happy with AmiTeX.

Steve Faiwiszewski	   ..!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!intern  or  intern@dasys1.UUCP
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

If you'd turn on the light quickly enough,
you could see what the dark looks like.