[comp.sys.amiga] Unix Windows-- Has anyone gotten this to work?

echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) (10/13/88)

   I have tried a number of (feeble) attempts to get Unix Windows to work,
and was wondering if there is anyone out there who has gotten it to work,
and if they could tell me just how they did it.

   For those of you who don't know what Unix Windows is, it's supposed to
be a terminal program that will let you open up different windows to different
Unix Shells. (through the serial port i.e., a modem)

   If you have any information, please leave me mail

                                           -Eli Charne
                                        echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu
                                        zebcharne@UCI.BITNET

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael Leibow) (10/16/88)

I have never ran the original Unix Windows program from a macintosh or an
Amiga, but I have written my own VT220 emulator that uses the Unix Windows
protocol.  First thing you do is get a copy of it from a BBS or something.
It is called Meshugena.  I'll be releasing V2.0 in a few weeks.  There
are full instructions on how to start the session manager.  If I were you,
I'd wait 2 or 3 weeks for V2.0 because it is much better.

It also has a programmers interface so that all of you gurus can control
the I/O of each session with your own programs.  For example, a file
xfer program or a script control language can be added effortlessly.  Also,
new terminal emulations can be created in the same way.  All you have to
do is write a parser that transforms one kind of terminal data into
VT220 terminal data.

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		rochester!ritcv!msl5864

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/17/88)

Does anyone have a uw host-side program for System V?
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (10/19/88)

In article <2845@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Does anyone have a uw host-side program for System V?
> --
> 		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
> 		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

Please send any info on this to me, too.  I have seen uw work on
Berkeley-based Unix systems, e.g., Suns, but we haven't seen a
version that will work under System V (actually HP-UX) on HP
320 workstations.  I would much appreciate the info.
-Eric

By the way, I read awhile back that someone had ported uw to Apple's
Unix, A/UX, which is also (at least close to) a System V variant.
No flames against Apple here, please. I am trying to provide what info
I have and am requesting any info any of YOU have.

--
Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP:   bungia!pai!erc            | having

devin@topologix.topologix.com (Devin Hooker) (10/21/88)

In article <240@pai.UUCP> erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) writes:
<In article <2845@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
<> Does anyone have a uw host-side program for System V?
<> --
<> 		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
<> 		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?
<Please send any info on this to me, too.  I have seen uw work on
<Berkeley-based Unix systems, e.g., Suns, but we haven't seen a
<version that will work under System V (actually HP-UX) on HP
<320 workstations.  I would much appreciate the info.
<-Eric
<--
<Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
<Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP:   bungia!pai!erc            | having
<12201 Wood Lake Drive    | UUCP:   sun!tundra!pai!erc        | fun
<Burnsville, MN 55337 USA | DOMAIN: erc@pai.mn.org            | yet?

	I have the source that I compiled to run on a Sun.  If you would
like it I can send it to you or post it somewhere...I don't know if it runs
SysV or not but it couldn't hurt.

			-Devin
Mail me if you would like a copy, if I get several requests I'll send it to
comp.sources.amiga (I'll send both server and amiga sources if I do.)
--
Devin Hooker
Software Engineer