[comp.sys.amiga] NeXT

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/14/88)

To calm the masses . . .

Yes, the NeXT machine has some nice features, but don't sell that
Amiga yet!  You see, the Amiga is a mass-market machine, with a
nice fat low-end market, and a fairly large middle market.

The NeXT machine will sell for $6500 up, which places it out of
reach of probably 90% of the Amigans.  Add to that the fact that
the machine will *not* be available for public purchase until
maybe midyear 1989.  Plus, the $6500 price is to selected
developers and educators *only*, and the public and commercial
price will probably be quite steeper.

The $2000 laser is the only supported printer, so if you want
hardcopy, well, there's some more money.  Not to mention a way
to get software *into* the machine.  (What, they are going to
distribute software on 20MB SCSI disks, or can you dismount your
system optical disk to load a distribution optical disk?)  And
many people might not like the access time or write time for
the optical floppy, so you might need that $2000 Winchester.

While NeXT comes with all sorts of neat software, it will most
certainly be a while before many mass-market applications are
ported.  Especially since NeXT is not targetting the mass market
yet.

And while the display is good, 8xx by 11xx isn't mindblowing,
and neither is two bitplanes of monochrome.  I don't know about
y'all, but VideoScape in grey is kind of boring.

Oh, and the 256K dedicated video RAM seems to make double
buffering impossible, at least with the current hardware.
So smooth animation might not be absolutely trivial.

I am not trying to lambast the NeXT machine.  I love it.  I'd
love to have one.  But at that price, I think I'll enjoy my
Amiga a little longer.

-tom

ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (10/14/88)

I just read the alt.next posting on Steve Jobs's machine.  I think
it'll give the Amiga a run for its money.  Mentally adding up an
equivalent A2000 system, I think NeXT gives us a run for our money.
Oddly, our advantage is that we *don't* run Unix, and so a 4 MB Amiga
has as much RAM for running user programs as an 8 MB NeXT :-).
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (10/14/88)

In article <308@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
>I just read the alt.next posting on Steve Jobs's machine.  I think
>it'll give the Amiga a run for its money.  Mentally adding up an
>equivalent A2000 system, I think NeXT gives us a run for our money.
>Oddly, our advantage is that we *don't* run Unix, and so a 4 MB Amiga
>has as much RAM for running user programs as an 8 MB NeXT :-).
>--

  Three points to consider:
  1. Remember that great boing! ball demo we all saw a few years ago? Think
  of how far we have come since then. The NeXT machine is going to undergo
  the same amount of change, in possibly a little less time. There are still
  areas in which the amiga can be improved, but the key fact is that there
  is room in overall design of the machine for them to occur. We may not
  grow at the same rate as in the past, but possibilities do exist.
  2. $6500 is a discount price for universities and developers. The "general
  user's" price is going to be signifigantly higher.
  3. The NeXT machine and the Amiga are drastically different machines, in
  their design goals and targeted market. I don't think I would be happy
  with one at all, as my single computer at home. At work, though, it might
  be nice. However, I suspect that people will look at what the NeXT machine
  does, pick out the features that they like about the machine, and think of
  ways to do similar things on the Amiga. And the Amiga remains less
  expensive.

   --hal
   hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/14/88)

in article <308@solaria.csun.edu>, ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) says:

> I just read the alt.next posting on Steve Jobs's machine.  I think
> it'll give the Amiga a run for its money.

Apollo makes a nice $10,000 68030 machine with windowing and UNIX.  They
probably don't have an educational discount (though you never know), but
I'm not in school anyway.  I can have a 68030 Amiga for considerably less.

> Oddly, our advantage is that we *don't* run Unix, and so a 4 MB Amiga
> has as much RAM for running user programs as an 8 MB NeXT :-).

Neither does NeXT, it runs Mach.  So take the amount of memory necessary for
a nice System V machine, double it, and you get the amount of memory necessary
for a nice Mach machine.  Which is precisely why NeXT machines are standard
at 8 megs, though they apparently will have a 4 meg version available.  We
have 3 and 5 meg A2500s for similar configurations (cheaper, slower) under
System V.  If you really want UNIX.

The press release claims that 3 or 4 applications should run on the NeXT with
out undue disk paging (to that SLOW optical disk).  Under the Amiga OS, 3 or 4
applications run pretty nicely in 2 megs of memory, though of course we don't
(yet) have virtual paging.

> Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
> RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu
> swalton@solar.stanford.edu    ...!csun!afws.csun.edu!bcphssrw
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/17/88)

Speaking of optical drives, does anybody have the performance
specifications of the Canon drive used in the NeXT computer?  All
I've heard thus far is that it is 256 MB per side, and that the
media costs $50.  Apparently, each disk can hold 512 MB, but must
be flipped over to access the B side.

It would be interesting to know what the access times were.
Apparently, Canon had their optical drives ready about a year ago,
but could not market them independently becasue they had an
exclusive contract with NeXT that stipulated taht Canon could not
sell the bare drives before the NeXT computer was introduced.

If Canon makes one with a SCSI interface, it could be a nifty
add-on to use with our Amigas.

--Bill

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/18/88)

In article <1372@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> What is the access time of the Canon dtive?

According to a blurb in Infoworld, the access time for a 1/3 stroke
seek is average 93 mS.  They cite that NeXT claims that their
averave access time is 60 mS.

Even 60 mS, isn't exactly stellar performance, so that optional $2K
(US funds) add-on Winchester looks more like a reality for people
that want to do some serious hacking.

There was also an article in this news group that intimated that
the display was hard-wired into one frame buffer.  Infoworld
intimated that the display is double-buffered.  They are
journalists rather than computer scientists, so anything they
report should be given an appropriate amount of skeptacism.

--Bill

lbruck@eneevax.UUCP (Lewis S.Bruck) (10/20/88)

In article <1372@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>Speaking of optical drives, does anybody have the performance
>specifications of the Canon drive used in the NeXT computer?  All
>I've heard thus far is that it is 256 MB per side, and that the
>media costs $50.  Apparently, each disk can hold 512 MB, but must
>be flipped over to access the B side.

I saw a figure of about 91 ms access time.  I haven't heard what either
NeXT or Canon are using for interface, but a SCSI drive will probably
be available soon, if at least to satisfy the Mac market, which for better
or for worse is the driving force behind microcomputer SCSI

>--Bill

Lewis Bruck
Who is officially not even here

or anywhere

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (10/22/88)

In article <73828@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
)                               .
)                               .
)                                                     Can Jobs turn
)Universities into dealers?
)                               .
)                               .
Well he can turn university presidents into dealers.  Georgia Tech has
already ordered 100.  Its new and beloved president, Pat Crecine, is on
the NeXT board of directors.  Of course Jobs can't get all university
presidents on the board but since it only has three members right now
there's room for quite a few.

Of course I wouldn't even begin to suggest that any conflict of interest
is involved.
--
-  It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
-  coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -