[comp.sys.amiga] amiga parallel lines?

diradin@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Dean I Radin) (10/22/88)

I want to test a special IC chip that uses a total of 11 I/O
lines (8 for data I/O, 3 for address lines).  I could design
a serial-to-parallel translator with a UART, and go through the
serial port, but for the quick and dirty test I want to do I'd rather
use the Amiga's parallel port.

Problem: The parallel port only provides 8 parallel I/O lines.

Question: Does the Amiga provide three other output lines controllable
    by software? Perhaps some of the game or mouse port pins?

Dean Radin
Dept. of Psychology
Princeton University
diradin@phoenix.princeton.edu

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (10/24/88)

In article <4070@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> diradin@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Dean I Radin) writes:
>Question: Does the Amiga provide three other output lines controllable
>    by software? Perhaps some of the game or mouse port pins?

Locate a copy of the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual and check out the chapter
on "Interface Hardware".  Table 8-5 shows the bits used in the POTGO register.
It says: "Instead of using the pot pins as variable-resistive inputs, you can
use these pins as a four-bit input/output port.  This provides you with the
equivalent of two additional pins on each of the two controller ports for
general purpose I/O".

I sent a letter to Steve Ciarcia with this information after he stated
(wrongly) that the pins on that A500 joystick connector could not be used
for output.  Note that getting 2 bits is easy - use the joystick connector.
With a break-out cable, it is possible to get the 3rd bit and still have
use of the two-button mouse.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |