[comp.sys.amiga] PC transfer possibilities

sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) (10/04/88)

	I hate to admit the need to do this, but I need to
transfer standard data files from an MS-DOS disk to an Amiga disk.
The files are data obtained from our astronomical observations.  We use
PC's at the mountain, but I would prefer to reduce the data on the Amiga.
I tried to use a friend's A2000 with bridgecard, but the supplied routine,
awrite, does not allow wild cards and thus, can transfer only one file at a
time. Since I currently have 20 disks with 30 files each, this method is
not the way to go.  Is there a better way to do this transfer on the PC
equipped 2000?  I envision a command like copy A: df0: all.
	I had also considered purchasing a 1020 for my A1000 (with C.Ltd
1 meg expansion) for such data transfer purposes.  Do programs exist that
can satisfy my needs on my A1000 with 2  3 1/2" drives and a 1020?
Another question along these lines:  Will I need to add an external power
supply for the 1020, or can I daisy chain it to my 1010 with no problems?
Second related question:  I've heard they do not support the 1020 anymore with
the PC software they once did; will this be a problem?  And can I get the
software if I need it?  Finally, is there
a cheaper way (I've seen 1020's for $200) to get a 5 1/4" drive to read PC
disks than the 1020?  I am not afraid of electronics, but I'm not up to par
on designing my own generic system.

Thanks for the help.

Scot
sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu
Thanks a million! - Phillip Alvin

thad@cup.portal.com (10/05/88)

Scott Kleinman was asking about software to permit MS/DOS disks to be
read en masse by the Amiga.

What I've used was the A1020 (5-1/4") drive on an A1000 to read, write
and format MS/DOS disks using the FREE PC-Utlities supplied on the 1.2
EXTRAS disk.

The PcCopy program has a nice, easy-to-use interface and does the job
well (at least to/from an A1020 drive).

May ALL you data be processed on the Amiga!    :-)

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

mlelstv@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (10/05/88)

In article <3215@utastro.UUCP> sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) writes:

>	I hate to admit the need to do this, but I need to
>transfer standard data files from an MS-DOS disk to an Amiga disk.
>	I had also considered purchasing a 1020 for my A1000 (with C.Ltd
>1 meg expansion) for such data transfer purposes.  Do programs exist that
>can satisfy my needs on my A1000 with 2  3 1/2" drives and a 1020?
There is a program called Dos-2-Dos (d2d) that can copy msdos-files
to and from Amiga. It also supports wildcards and linefeed-translation.

>Another question along these lines:  Will I need to add an external power
>supply for the 1020, or can I daisy chain it to my 1010 with no problems?
>software if I need it?
The only problem might be the power supply. In Germany the power supply is
somehow stronger since I don't know of anyone who needs an external power
supply. I use my A1000 with an external 3 1/2"-disk and an external 5 1/4"
disk. These are self-made.
>a cheaper way (I've seen 1020's for $200) to get a 5 1/4" drive to read PC
>disks than the 1020?  I am not afraid of electronics, but I'm not up to par
>on designing my own generic system.
There is no easier way to do it. You have connect a usual (shugart-bus type)
disk drive through a small interface.
You can order the plans from CATS, I think. They call it Technical Reference
Manual A1020.
BTW, you can connect an 80 tracks 5 1/4" disk with the usual 3 1/2" interface.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!faui44!mlelstv

phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Philip E Staub) (10/06/88)

In article <9741@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
>Scott Kleinman was asking about software to permit MS/DOS disks to be
>read en masse by the Amiga.
>
>What I've used was the A1020 (5-1/4") drive on an A1000 to read, write
>and format MS/DOS disks using the FREE PC-Utlities supplied on the 1.2
>EXTRAS disk.
>
>The PcCopy program has a nice, easy-to-use interface and does the job
>well (at least to/from an A1020 drive).
>

>May ALL you data be processed on the Amiga!    :-)
>
>Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

I think that the operative problem here was the need for multiple file
transfers. If you've found a way to get PcCopy to copy all files on a disk
without having to do them one at a time, I'd like to hear about it. If not,
I agree with Scott about it being a pain to have to click on each file,
possibly having to descend into multiple levels of subdirectories, etc.

Scott, have you checked into DOS-2-DOS (sp?). I don't own a copy, nor have
I used it, but from descriptions I've heard of the product, I suspect it
may do what you need. Alas, its not freeware, but if you have a need for it,
it might be worth the cost.

-Phil

Phil Staub
Tektronix, Inc., Vancouver, Washington 98668
phils@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM

micha@ecrcvax.UUCP (Micha Meier) (10/11/88)

In article <3215@utastro.UUCP> sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) writes:

>	I hate to admit the need to do this, but I need to
>transfer standard data files from an MS-DOS disk to an Amiga disk.
>The files are data obtained from our astronomical observations.  We use
>PC's at the mountain, but I would prefer to reduce the data on the Amiga.
>I tried to use a friend's A2000 with bridgecard, but the supplied routine,
>awrite, does not allow wild cards and thus, can transfer only one file at a
>time.

First, the DOS-2-DOS program does what you want, it allows wildcards when
copying the files. However, when you use the 'for' command of MS-DOS,
you can actually use any wildcards you want, e.g.
	for %i in (*.*) do awrite %i ram:%i

--Micha

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (10/19/88)

In article <3215@utastro.UUCP> sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) writes:

>	I hate to admit the need to do this, but I need to
>transfer standard data files from an MS-DOS disk to an Amiga disk.
>The files are data obtained from our astronomical observations.  We use
>PC's at the mountain, but I would prefer to reduce the data on the Amiga.
>I tried to use a friend's A2000 with bridgecard, but the supplied routine,
>awrite, does not allow wild cards and thus, can transfer only one file at a
>time. Since I currently have 20 disks with 30 files each, this method is
>not the way to go.  Is there a better way to do this transfer on the PC

AWrite supports wildcards for Version 2.0 of the Janus software. This software
is in the beta test phase and should be available in the months to follow.

					BK

Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
The official word, is NO. I am therefore going anyway!
   						          Kirk - Star Trek IV

                Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!

Ata@radc-multics.arpa (John G. Ata) (10/22/88)

    Date:  Tuesday, 18 October 1988 16:04 edt
    From:  Bill Koester CATS <bill at CBMVAX.UUCP>
    Subject:  Re: PC transfer possibilities

    AWrite supports wildcards for Version 2.0 of the Janus software. This software
    is in the beta test phase and should be available in the months to follow.

                                                      BK

Will this latest version be available for all bridgeboard owners?  I
would really like to run the latest version even though I purchased my
bridgeboard almost a year ago.

                              Thanks,
                              John G. Ata (Ata@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA)

bill@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Bill Koester CATS) (10/24/88)

Anyone can get the new software once it's out. It's just a question of when
it gets out.

				BK