[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 2.x wish list

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/07/88)

One thing that I would like to see in the next version of VT100 would
be printer support.  This would really make it VT102 but who's
counting :-).  Currently, the mail system that I'm using permits
documents to be printed with the P command.  It then sends the VT102
"printer-on" command followed by the text followed by the VT102
"print-off" command.  Being able to print as easily on my Amiga as my
IBM would be a dream.

The code is basically already there.  Just do "ascii capture" to the
PRN file (make it user setable... please, I think my VAX sends Epson
codes directly) and then turn it off.  Maybe if someone else is using
the printer you could automatically send it to a file.

Is there any plan for this?  Does anyone else know of terminal program
that does good VT100 emulation plus printer support?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
--
       Tom Limoncelli -- Drew University, Box 1060, Madison, NJ 07940
  TLimonce@Drew.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net -- VoiceMail (201)408-5389

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (10/08/88)

Another thing I would like to see in a future version of VT100 is an ARexx
port.  VT100 would be really cool if its script language were accessible from
its ARexx port -- imagine what other programs could do if they could access
VT100's file transfer capabilities through ARexx, or if you were able to
capture a file straight into a text editor.

                        --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (10/11/88)

In article <4XHGpTy00VsfA0UVEI@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Another thing I would like to see in a future version of VT100 is an ARexx
>port.

Funny you should mention that.  I'm in the process of doing that now (well,
not right this moment but you know what I mean).  R2.9 will have AREXX, the
ability to specify "external protocol modules" for handling file transfer
(the release will include Frank Anthes' ZMODEM port), font names AND sizes
and a few bug fixes that are in 2.8A (still in the hands of the moderators
even though I sent it to them over 2 months ago).  Also included will be a
new kermit module by Steve Walton.  Release date? - I can't really say
since it depends on how much time my paying job requires of me but it
shouldn't be too long (< 6 weeks).

>Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
>ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

jones@ingr.UUCP (Mark Jones) (10/18/88)

How about a full blown kermit, complete with kermit commands, server
mode, etc...  So that files could be sent to the Amiga rather than just
received.(With the Amiga left unattended!)

Mark Jones

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (10/18/88)

In article <2692@ingr.UUCP> jones@ingr.UUCP (Mark Jones) writes:
>How about a full blown kermit, complete with kermit commands, server
>mode, etc...  So that files could be sent to the Amiga rather than just
>received.(With the Amiga left unattended!)

A possibility but not a probability as I want VT100 to remain relatively
small.  The new release (2.9 -- not due to be out for a while yet) will
have a REAL kermit transfer module authored by Steve Walton and taken
from (I hope I have this correct) Frank DaCruz's Kermit book.  If all of
the pieces are there and the additional code isn't too large then you can
depend on it being in some later release.

You realize, of course, that there *is* a C-Kermit implementation for the
Amiga that does this now, right?

--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) (10/18/88)

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet since I haven't read all of the
Re: Vt100 2.x wish list messages.

Procomm, a ms-dos pd terminal package, gives you an estimate of how long
your transfer is going to take when you're using kermit.  At least it does
so on the send; I never got the receive to work.  What I would like is for
an extra field to be added to the kermit status line giving the approximate
time remaining for the transfer.  That should be easy for sending, since
you have the file size and the baud rate.  Doing it for receiving, which
is what I do most, would require getting the file size from the host computer.
Can you do that with kermit?

Rich Champeaux
Clemson University

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (10/19/88)

In article <3273@hubcap.UUCP> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>[...] What I would like is for an extra field to be added to the kermit
>status line giving the approximate time remaining for the transfer.[...]

That may be difficult as it will depend of too many other variables. What
may be more informative is the percentage of the file transferred so far.
The full Kermit implementations do this on both sends and get/recieve.

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (10/19/88)

As long as people are putting in requests, is it possible to make the
keypad properly vt100 compatible?  I realize that the A1000 doesn't have
all the keys, but the A500 and A2000 do.  I've been meaning to figure out
how to do this myself, but if somebody who knows what they're doing could
beat me to it I'd be mighty grateful.
		Kevin Dooley
--
Kevin Dooley -- Larn King and Quantum Hero
                      UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (10/20/88)

Here are a couple of things I'd like to see in VT100 2.x:

	1. Have a circular buffer (size can be specified by user) and a
	   scroll bar on one side.  This may necessitate slightly smaller
	   font or less than 80 columns.

	2. Along with 1., I'd like to be able to cut and paste from the
           buffer by using the LMB.  That is, you click and hold the LMB
	   then drag it to the end of text that you want cut adn release
           the button.  Text can be pasted back by using, for example,
	   the LMB in conjunction with the left Amiga key.

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/21/88)

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) wrote:
>Here are a couple of things I'd like to see in VT100 2.x:
> you want cut adn release the button.  Text can be pasted back

mouse cut and paste should be done by the console handler (or something
on top of it) not the application program.  You can do this today
with SNIP, SNIPIT and one or two other PD programs around, check
BIX and PLINK.  I'll try to get one published to comp.sources.amiga
soon (listening Scott E?)

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (10/21/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 20-Oct-88 Re: VT100 2.x wish list Bob*
> *Page@swan.ulowell.ed (569)*
> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) wrote:
> >Here are a couple of things I'd like to see in VT100 2.x:
> > you want cut adn release the button.  Text can be pasted back
> mouse cut and paste should be done by the console handler (or something
> on top of it) not the application program.>

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but VT100 doesn't use the console handler.
SNIP was capable of snipping text out of any window, but the problem was that it
only recognized Topaz and I really hate using Topaz.  It is possible to hack up
SNIP to recognize a different 8x8 pixel font, but better would be a program that
matches a sample of the text versus all the 8x8 pixel fonts in the system.

In any event, a transcript feature with a scroll bar so you can look back at the
last n screens of your terminal session would be handy.  Xterm has it, as well
as most Macintosh terminal programs.

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (10/22/88)

In article <9747@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>mouse cut and paste should be done by the console handler (or something
>on top of it) not the application program.  You can do this today
>with SNIP, SNIPIT and one or two other PD programs around, check

Do either of these work on anything but non-console windows?  nearly
every time I think I have a use for snipit, it doesn't work because it's
not a console window.

The one exception: superbase pro's editor.  The stupid thing doesn't
even have a cut&paste option, but it _is_ a console window.  Now if only
it would let me indent...

--
                               +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
Eric Kennedy                   | Bush   &        |

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (10/24/88)

In article <sXLo6Uy00Vsf41AUkX@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>Well, that's all fine and dandy, but VT100 doesn't use the console handler.
>SNIP was capable of snipping text out of any window, but the problem was that it
>only recognized Topaz and I really hate using Topaz.  It is possible to hack up
>SNIP to recognize a different 8x8 pixel font, but better would be a program that
>matches a sample of the text versus all the 8x8 pixel fonts in the system.

Snip (now TSnip) has been able to use a different font for a couple of versions
now. The fontname was given on the command line. V1.4 has a control panel
you can pop up with a string gadget to change the font name at any time. I use
it all the time with Pearl/8, ST/8, Erics/8, and some other 8x8 fonts... but
for me it's moot in VT100, mine (2.8) has the old broken font option for which
I've lost the fix.

V1.4 should be on PLink soon, and I guess I should send it to Bob Page --
is there a special mailing address for sending sources or binaries?

John
--
"The 68000 processor can't possibly handle a colour display. You must have a
 68020 system and not know it."

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael Leibow) (10/25/88)

In article <9747@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) wrote:
>>Here are a couple of things I'd like to see in VT100 2.x:
>> you want cut adn release the button.  Text can be pasted back
>
>mouse cut and paste should be done by the console handler (or something
>on top of it) not the application program.  You can do this today
>with SNIP, SNIPIT and one or two other PD programs around, check
>BIX and PLINK.  I'll try to get one published to comp.sources.amiga
>soon (listening Scott E?)
>
>..Bob
>--
>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
>Have five nice days.

How does the application program handle text when a console handler is not
used?  I haven't seen any good terminal emulators for the Amiga that use
a console interface.  My terminal emulator uses multiple fonts and the
graphics library primitives Move, Text, etc...

	--Mike

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		rochester!ritcv!msl5864