[comp.sys.amiga] New source/binary moderator

akl@j.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) (10/16/88)

     I am posting this to announce that in about a week (as soon as the
necessary administrivia is taken care of), Bob Page will be the new moderator
of comp.sources.amiga and comp.binaries.amiga.  We (that is Pat, Brent, and
I) hope that he will be able to get software out to you in a much more timely
manner than we have.
     Submissions which are still in our backlog will continue to be posted
by us until there are none left.  At the same time, Bob will be accepting
and posting your submissions.  Any submissions that are sent to one of us
personally (instead of through the official moderator address) will be
passed on to Bob.
     The address to send submissions to is "amiga-sources@swan.ulowell.edu",
for both sources and binaries (or at least I assume it is for both since
Bob did not indicate otherwise).  I can't give you any more details than
that, because they are for Bob to decide... I assume that he will make some
sort of introductory posting when he officially takes over.

     To those of you who patiently endured all of the problems Pat and Brent
had keeping the group running, and to all of you who submitted things to us
only to have them disappear into the backlog, I apologize.  I took over most
of the work a couple of weeks ago, but we decided that since Bob wanted the job
and would probably do it better than I, it was appropriate for us to turn it
over to him.  There isn't much else I can say, except that if you have any
questions about the changeover I will be happy to answer them by e-mail.

G'day, eh?
--TS

Rob Tillotson
akl@j.cc.purdue.edu

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/16/88)

In article <7966@j.cc.purdue.edu>, akl@j.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) writes:
>      The address to send submissions to is "amiga-sources@swan.ulowell.edu",
> for both sources and binaries (or at least I assume it is for both since
> Bob did not indicate otherwise).

This name might cause confusion, since the existing *alt*.sources.amiga
address is amiga-sources@sugar.uu.net, and amiga-sources@uunet.uu.net is
also accepted as an alias. I'd be happy to change my address, but I'm afraid
that it would take an indeterminate time for this change to trickle through
the net. In the meantime people are quite likely to send sources to the
wrong place (or to the right one by mistake :->, and I'm not saying which is
the right one... though it may surprise you).
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (10/17/88)

In article <7966@j.cc.purdue.edu> akl@j.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) writes:
=-
=-     I am posting this to announce that in about a week (as soon as the
=-necessary administrivia is taken care of), Bob Page will be the new moderator
=-of comp.sources.amiga and comp.binaries.amiga.

	What about the existing archives at j.cc.purdue.edu?  I realize that
Bob currently has quite an extensive set on swan, but it would be nice if
everything were consolidated under some coherent format.

/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{ihnp4,seismo,...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

sam@csri.toronto.edu (Sam Weber) (10/17/88)

In article <2837@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <7966@j.cc.purdue.edu>, akl@j.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) writes:
>>      The address to send submissions to is .....
>
>This name might cause confusion, since the existing *alt*.sources.amiga
>address is amiga-sources@sugar.uu.net, and amiga-sources@uunet.uu.net is
>also accepted as an alias. I'd be happy to change my address, but I'm afraid
>that it would take an indeterminate time for this change to trickle through
>the net. In the meantime people are quite likely to send sources to the
>wrong place (or to the right one by mistake :->, and I'm not saying which is
>the right one... though it may surprise you).
>--
>		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net

Does this mean that alt.sources.amiga will still continue to send things
out?  No reflection on you, Peter, but I would like to see alt.sources.amiga
disappear.  Why?  Because most of what appears is C code, and I do not
have a C compiler, so I've been routing most, if not all, code that
appears there to nil: .  Also, a lot of places do not get alt groups,
so people there are also left out in the cold.

In a similar vein, are there any plans to send out binaries for all those
things that came out on alt.sources.amiga?
Sam M. Weber -- The Guy Without a Cape
   _|__	...	Recumbent Planes:	 sam@csri.toronto.edu
   -|-- ...    The Only Way To Cycle.	 (pronounced "S-am")

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/23/88)

sam@csri.toronto.edu (Sam Weber) wrote:
>I would like to see alt.sources.amiga disappear.  Why?  Because most
>of what appears is C code, and I do not have a C compiler

Sounds like a good reason.  In fact, now that I know Sam Weber doesn't
have a C compiler, I might as well save my own time and not post any
C code to comp.sources.amiga.

..Bob (I used to get disgusted; now I try to be amused)
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/23/88)

In article <8810170648.AA10653@esplanade.csri.toronto.edu>, sam@csri.toronto.edu (Sam Weber) writes:
> Does this mean that alt.sources.amiga will still continue to send things
> out?  No reflection on you, Peter, but I would like to see alt.sources.amiga
> disappear.

Me too. When I'm satisfied I'm not going to be needed. Right now it looks
like the new groups are doing great, but let's give them a couple of months.
A new broom sweeps pretty clean, and all that.

> In a similar vein, are there any plans to send out binaries for all those
> things that came out on alt.sources.amiga?

I can send the binaries I have to comp.binaries.amiga. Many of them are
available for FTP from uunet. Not to mention that the first posting in it
was a binary (bind.sh.Z).
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	Disclaimer: I accept full responsibility for my own typos.

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (10/25/88)

To our new moderator:  Hip-hip-hoorah!!

I read news this morning after having been gone for a day or so, and I
found a veritable sh*tload of goodies in both sources and binaries!

Thank you, Bob Page!

Gary

--
Gary Heffelfinger  -  Not speaking for Clemson Univ.  (ISD)
uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!disd    inet: disd@hubcap.clemson.edu