[comp.sys.amiga] MiniScribe Parking when I don't want it to!

joseph@garfield.MUN.EDU (Joseph Dawson) (10/24/88)

Hi,

I have had some problems with my 2090 and my MiniScribe [3650],
I finally had the drive replaced with a new MiniScribe [3650] and
it looks to be working now.  (It has not had an error for 48
hours!  That breaks the 24 hour best that my old MiniScribe had.)

As soon as I plugged in the new drive, I had an orange light come
on it.  I then perped it and said no to the parking the head
option. Then I went through with a normal prep, and now every 6
seconds when the drive is not used I get this orange light again.
I personally think that my heads are parked while the light is
orange, as if i try to read/write to the hard drive while the
light is orange it will make some loud sounds before doing my
task.

Can someone please tell me how I can stop my heads from being
parked.  I am quite sure I did not pick parking the heads in the
prep so I need a different way.

P.S. I am not sure about how my mountlist should look.  My local
store knows nothing about hard drives on Amigas.  Do I need to
have a mount for "DH0:".  I only have one for "RES0:" now.

This is a copy of my mountlist:

/* ST-506 hard disk drives are units 1 and 2 */
res0:      Device = hddisk.device
           Unit   = 1
           Flags  = 0
           Surfaces  = 6
           BlocksPerTrack = 17
           Reserved = 2
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0 ;  HighCyl = 1
           Buffers = 1
           BufMemType = 0

#

In article <4951@garfield.MUN.EDU> joseph@garfield.MUN.EDU (Joseph Dawson) writes:

>I have had some problems with my 2090 and my MiniScribe [3650],
>As soon as I plugged in the new drive, I had an orange light come
>on it.

	I hope you didn't plug it in with the power on...  :-)

>  I then perped it and said no to the parking the head
>option. Then I went through with a normal prep, and now every 6
>seconds when the drive is not used I get this orange light again.
>I personally think that my heads are parked while the light is
>orange, as if i try to read/write to the hard drive while the
>light is orange it will make some loud sounds before doing my
>task.

	If you say yes to "park" it will park the heads after 3 seconds,
not 6.  Either the drive is doing it itself (possible, I suppose),
or perhaps it's every 3 seconds, and you answered 'Y' to park??  Try
re-prepping if all else fails.  Note that some filesystem operations do
some writing a few seconds later, like delete.  This does not happen on reads.

>P.S. I am not sure about how my mountlist should look.  My local
>store knows nothing about hard drives on Amigas.  Do I need to
>have a mount for "DH0:".  I only have one for "RES0:" now.

	No entry for dh0: is needed.  dh0: will be automatically created
according to the information you gave prep when you prepped the drive.
RES0: is ONLY used for prepping the drive.  Do not try to use it at
any other time.

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup