[comp.sys.amiga] Bad blocks on hard disks

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (10/21/88)

Well, I found a bad spot on my hard disk yesterday.  When I was trying
to generate some timings for a posting.  I tried sending a 1mbyte buffer
to disk to a file 10 times, and in the process, I got a nifty requester
saying that I had a read/write error on my HD.  It messed up my machine
so I rebooted, and while the drive was revalidating, I got the requestor
again (same spot).  So I copied all of the files from the "bad" partation
to the good partition (I split my drive in half).  And then reformatted
the "bad" partition.  Well, about 20 minutes later, I come back and my
system has locked up on cylinder 813 (I have 820 on the drive).  So I
say, ah ha! there is where the bad block is...  Then I reliased that I
had no idea where on the 6 surfaces the bad area was, I just knew the
cylinder.  So I changed my mount list to stop at cylinder 812.

Now that I have a stop-gap solution to my problem.  How to I go about
fixing it the correct way???  I have a Seagate ST277N, and a A2090A, I
looked at the test sheet from Seagate, all it said was PASSED in big letters.
No error map, like they give you with their ST506 drives...

Any clues anybody???
        Don
Don R Withey                    BITNET: AXDRW@ALASKA.BITNET
University of Alaska            BIX:    dwithey
3211 U.A.A. Drive
Anchorage, Alaska  99508
907-786-4851 (work) 907-277-9063 (home) 907-274-6378 (other home)
Any expressed opinion is my own and in no way represent those of my employer,
the University of Alaska.

phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Philip E Staub) (10/25/88)

In article <4975@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) writes:
[  stuff deleted ]
>say, ah ha! there is where the bad block is...  Then I reliased that I
>had no idea where on the 6 surfaces the bad area was, I just knew the
>cylinder.  So I changed my mount list to stop at cylinder 812.
>
>Now that I have a stop-gap solution to my problem.  How to I go about
>fixing it the correct way???  I have a Seagate ST277N, and a A2090A, I
>looked at the test sheet from Seagate, all it said was PASSED in big letters.
>No error map, like they give you with their ST506 drives...
>
>Any clues anybody???
>        Don
>Don R Withey                    BITNET: AXDRW@ALASKA.BITNET

This gives me a chance to make a suggestion for some future disk driver(s).

I have a homebrew driver which looks for a port to send error reports to
for either hard or soft errors. If the port is there, it sends the drive,
status, track, head, and sector of the offending block. If not, it just does
its normal error recovery: 3 strikes (retries) and you're out.

Now where is this port? It's created by a program which I run in a separate
window. This program creates the port, then waits for messages (alias: disk
errors), then prints them out. When I get an error, there is no longer any
question where it is. I have visions of a future version which will log
errors to a file (probably in RAD:, since the state of the hard disk driver
may be unknown at this point), but for now this is adequate.

Before anybody asks, this driver is not a replacement for hddisk.device from
Commodore, nor for any other commercial product. It is, as I said, homebrew.

However, I'd like to throw this suggestion out for discussion or whatever.

Regards,
Phil
Phil Staub
Tektronix, Inc., Vancouver, Washington 98668
phils@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (10/26/88)

A few days ago, I wrote about a bad spot on my hard disk...  Well, I found
out that it was all due to a stupid error on my part.  I had told the drive
that I had more space on it then I really had... (dumb!)  The problem
appeared because I install/repair IBM equipment at work, and assumed that
the drive was basically the same as a ST251 (which it is, but the SCSI
takes some space...)...  If anyone cares, I factored the number of blocks
for a ST277N (It has 126,790 blocks).  The prime factors are: 2 5 31 409.

I told my sytem it had 5 heads, 31 blocks/track, and 818 cylendars.
Thanks for all the replies!!
        Don
Don R Withey                    BITNET: AXDRW@ALASKA.BITNET
University of Alaska            BIX:    dwithey
3211 U.A.A. Drive
Anchorage, Alaska  99508
907-786-1074 (work) 907-277-9063 (home) 907-274-6378 (other home)