[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga public impressions

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (10/21/88)

A lot of net discussion centers around the ideas of how an Amiga, what it
is, does, and acts like, impresses the general (buying) public.

Almost 1 month ago now, an Amiga found it's way into my home. Like many of
yourselves, I am not a new user. Like fewer of yourselves, this Amiga is
now nestled in among 8 other computers. Like probably none of you at all,
though, I ran the biggest ST PD BBS (The Club II) for several years. In fact,
larger than Compuserve own selection for a least a year or two.

Before you say it. I think Amiga's are _morally_ superior, so Amiga-freaks
riled at the above, choke on it.

The environments I knew before I came to it include: The TRS-80 crew,
Atari 8bits, ST's and GEM, Ultrix, Data General AOS Rev 6.00, and
Suntools/SunOS and Macs.

Being an Atari 8-bit fan, the Amiga is virtually home again. Thus the graphics
dont "suprise" me. I dont think "what if" about HAM mode, I'm twiddling my
thumbs while people figure it out. It's all been by before, it was called
GTIA modes on the 8 bit, and it took em about 5 years.

Probably the single best feature that shocked me was Amiga Sound. I really
dont understand the Amiga emphasis on graphics, when the graphics are just
great and the sound is tremendous! The first occasion I had to see F-18, we
had alternately been playing the radio, and then using the stereo for sound.
I _didn't even realize_ it was the machine at first. For me, the Amiga is a
virtual Ensonic Mirage.

This, unfortunately, seems to been lending itself lately to many programs
pretty shamelessly digitizing real world sounds as a whole track, rather than
digitizing instruments and then playing music with them.

Some other observations with more marketing value:

Workbench's colors appear "schlocky." After you use the machine for a week or
two, you get used to, then fond of all the color all over hell. But the inital
impact is negative. And a large part of a sale is there. Solutions?

Workbench itself is - hmm - unprofessional. Sorry! But once again, the really
neato colors that you get used to just dont have that business "boring" to
them. No, I take that back. You never really get THAT used to them.
What seems "professional?" GEM on the ST is. With those unchangable icons,
GEM has no choice! But it's crisp and clean. They seem almost identical, so

close that I wonder if they used thinner lines for gadgets or something for a
more "delicate" look.

The existence of CATS makes a real difference, on the street, to people just
walking into the shop. Word travels fast, and when I can tell people something
about what CBM's doing and that I heard it here, I have visibly seen it
positively influence people's purchasing decision.

In a related marketing issue, recently I saw a handful of different British
68000 & gaming magazines. Folks, you _wouldn't_ believe it. If Amiga World
has a review of 13 games, they call it a games issue. One of these things
reviewed 77 games!!! Worse, the obvious ST presence in Europe is devastating.
The time has come for America to take a SERIOUS look at the European titles.
Many of them are just better programmed. Since I still come into contact with
a large amount of ST software, it's annoying to think that, other than sound,
F-18 Interceptor could visually look almost the same on the dramatically less
capable ST. The same can be said of Emrald Mines, Fire Power, Sidewinder, etc.
The first "Amiga-only" title I have seen (as in just couldn't be half as nice)
is a game called Fusion, which I believe is using 32 color 640 X 200 mode.
Dragon's Lair, also just coming out, looks - real. It's incredible.

My feeling has been that, in order to win a customer, you need not only to
show him that you have a superior machine, you need a _clearly_ superior.
Historical precedent: The C64, a relativel simple and low cost machine,
ripped Atari 8-bit sales to shreds. Though the 8-bit was more capable, and
had a much better OS, the 64's "70% as nice" graphics were close enough to
befuddle the issue. Now, the game is the same, the sides reversed. This time,
the ST is the largely off-the-shelf simple machine, and the Amiga is only
marginally strutting it's stuff.

From the business perspective, I just spent 6 months, 70 hours a week, writing
a new operating system for the IBM 386 AT clones. All day long, I worked with
an EGA monitor driving a Nec Multisync. When I got to play with the Amiga,
long and behold the "graphics machine" hit me with the same capacity. 640 X 400
16 color resolution. ?????

Which leads to probably the worst, single, biggest turn off in the world.

FLICKER IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Probably a moot point, having seen references on the net to new chips. Well,
they need to be here, right away. Real Soon, NOW.

The other major impression that I had was, after using the CLI, was that
the non-imbedded commands was needless. I guess this all boils down to the
idea that if I switch to an Amiga, (mentally) it should be a proper
superset. Whether I've used MS-DOS or GEM or whatever, the mentality
behind the scenes says, "Well, if the machine is superior, and worth
getting, then it should be -superior-." Anything that represents a step back
in usability from anything I've used will by association detract from the
real advantages of the machine. I guess I expect CLI to have at least as much
speed and functionality as Mess-DOS. I think I would expect a wristwatch to
have the functionality of MS-DOS.

As a closing (cheers in the back) comment, I dont find myself reccommending
Amiga's to new users. The machine is NOT a total "Click-and-point" system,
(an ST is) and suprisingly, many situations require the use of CLI. The
lack of any option to get no-icon-available files from workbench is, for
Joe Fool, a requirement to use CLI. And poor Joe doesn't cope. When
people ask me for a machine, I have to be able to reccommend with confidence
that they will be able to get where they want to go by themselves.

---

This message, being almost totally negative, is largely unrepresentative of
our experience with the machine. On the other hand, the above mentioned
problems are real. The sole purpose of this message is to identify potential
and necessary areas of improvement in order to assist CBM in refining the
machine. While the 2000 has slots, there is a certain truth to idea that
people (as a whole) will always program for, and expect, the base machine.
On the ST, that attitude produced a generation of new MIDI fans and cheap
local area networking. On the Mac, Appletalk has produced little Macintosh
networks in the MSU dorms. Only by raising the base machine, do you
raise the public perception of the whole machine.

Perhaps the best example - Every Amiga disk holds almost a Meg. When
was the last time you cringed at a 400K file? When was the last time you
used a PC/XT? Let alone a 64k machine. Your basic perception of file sizes
is altered by the base configuration of the machine.

The machine must grow.

Terry Conklin                             "Living on your knees, conformity
conklin@egr.msu.edu                          Or dying on your feet for honesty."
{msudoc|frith}!conklin                         -Metallica, Damage Incorporated
The Club    (517) 372-3131 Online 8 years in December! See BYTE IBM Issue
The Club II (313) 334-8877  p45, para 1 for more BYTE "facts" & research

:Workbench itself is - hmm - unprofessional. Sorry! But once again, the really
:neato colors that you get used to just dont have that business "boring" to
:them. No, I take that back. You never really get THAT used to them.
:What seems "professional?" GEM on the ST is. With those unchangable icons,
:GEM has no choice! But it's crisp and clean. They seem almost identical, so

	No, definately *NOT* GEM on the ST.... The Mac's desktop is
professional.  There's been a lot of flack about our workbench and, in fact,
many people do not even use it.

:ripped Atari 8-bit sales to shreds. Though the 8-bit was more capable, and
:had a much better OS, the 64's "70% as nice" graphics were close enough to
:befuddle the issue. Now, the game is the same, the sides reversed. This time,
:the ST is the largely off-the-shelf simple machine, and the Amiga is only
:marginally strutting it's stuff.

	Mmmm... I would disagree here.  Neither the Atari 8-bits OR the C-64
ever had an OS. Nobody ever used them, anyway, except maybe the file system
(what little of it there was).   I would tend to agree with your 'turn-around
assessment' though I should point out that the ST gets no where near the
support the old 8 bits had.  Atari used a 'bash the other guy' approach and
it backfired on them.

:
:Which leads to probably the worst, single, biggest turn off in the world.
:
:FLICKER IS UNACCEPTABLE.
:
:Probably a moot point, having seen references on the net to new chips. Well,
:they need to be here, right away. Real Soon, NOW.

	Uh huh.  I think we've spent about 50MB on that particular issue.
Get a flicker fixer if you don't like it, I am willing to wait for the new
chips.  But also keep in mind that at least we can *get* that resolution on
a standard (cheap) monitor.  By the time the new stuff gets integrated ,
the cost of higher resolution monitors should be attainable for the general
user.

:The other major impression that I had was, after using the CLI, was that
:the non-imbedded commands was needless. I guess this all boils down to the

	Don't use the CLI, use a shell.  There are several shells out there
and you get a hellofalot more power and convenience out of them.  I never
use a plain CLI.  Also, you *do* have a hard disk don't you?  Got 1.3 yet?
*GET IT* take the time to bring up the FFS on your HD and the machine will
suddenly look more professional ... much more professional.

:As a closing (cheers in the back) comment, I dont find myself reccommending
:Amiga's to new users. The machine is NOT a total "Click-and-point" system,
:(an ST is) and suprisingly, many situations require the use of CLI. The

	With the advent of 1.3, the A2000, and the FFS, I find myself now
recommending the Amiga where before I recommended the IBM... sometimes the
Mac, though *never* the ST.

	Many situations require the use of a CLI because it is impractical
to use a point-and-click system in all cases.  That was amply proven by
the Mac ... sure, it looks kind of flashy, but you can do a lot more for a
C compiler with a Makefile, editor, and shell 10 times faster than you could
ever do with a similar point-and-click enviroment.  I would say that the
LACK of a choice between the two types of interfaces (CLI, WB) is a major
screwup for both the Mac and the Atari.  While both machines have shells and
such, it isn't standard and cannot be counted upon.  The IBM has the exact
opposite problem ... it has only a CLI-like interface and a static (text)
screen size so they have to do all sorts of hacks to give it a more graphical
enviroment.

:lack of any option to get no-icon-available files from workbench is, for
:Joe Fool, a requirement to use CLI. And poor Joe doesn't cope. When
:people ask me for a machine, I have to be able to reccommend with confidence
:that they will be able to get where they want to go by themselves.

	Joe Fool gets icons for those programs that are simple enough for
his tiny brain to understand.  Larger, more complicated programs still have
icons, but it becomes optional because Joe Fool wouldn't be able to use them
anyway (cause he is too stupid to even understand the general purpose of
the program).  If you look closely, *MOST* commercial programs work with both
the workbench and the CLI.  If you are a CLI user or run the programs from
the CLI they usually do not bother creating icons whereas if you run the
programs from the workbench they do.

	Also, a big reason for the fact that not everything has an icon
(apart from what I mentioned above), is that C-A screwed up the workbench/
icon enviroment.... requiring a separate file for each icon is simply
ridiculous, takes too much time to scan, and makes directories look a mess.
Thus, none of us developers have ever had much incentive to use icons.

	So I'd say, C-A, fix the damn workbench!  I can't do everything!

:Perhaps the best example - Every Amiga disk holds almost a Meg. When
:was the last time you cringed at a 400K file? When was the last time you
:used a PC/XT? Let alone a 64k machine. Your basic perception of file sizes
:is altered by the base configuration of the machine.
:
:The machine must grow.

	Uh huh.  I Especially like the 2Gig (or is it 4Gig) partition size
limit under the FFS.  IBM's are still struggling along.

	My basic perception of the Amiga as a professional machine is that
you need, in laymans terms, disk.  A hard disks that is.  The moment I
put together my HD, under FFS, and stuck it to the side of my A1000 everything
changed.

					-Matt

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/22/88)

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) wrote a pretty level article.
A couple comments:

>For me, the Amiga is a virtual Ensonic Mirage.

There's a product (software) that turns your Amiga into a Mirage
player.  Just stick your Mirage disk into the Amiga and you can play
them.  You can do a *little* editing, but that's not what the package
is about.  It can also save the samples in IFF format.

>Workbench itself is - hmm - unprofessional. Sorry!

Fortunately, Workbench is simply an application program, and will be
removed from the ROM in version 1.4 of the OS, so they can squeeze
more goodies in.  Workbench will go to disk, and will probably be
rewritten to such a large degree that you'll barely notice it.
Commodore isn't blind, deaf or stupid - they see what PD and
commercial software people are using.  Although I haven't spoken to
anyone at CBM about a new Workbench, I'll eat my mouse if they don't
have a way to see ALL files from workbench (not just .info files),
some kind of browser capability, and much more user control over what
workbench looks like.

Even if for some reason I have to eat my mouse, I'm sure there will be
loads of Workbench replacement programs available, both commercially
and in the public domain.  But I don't think they will be necessary,
because CBM has a good idea of what people want in a new Workbench.

>The existence of CATS makes a real difference, on the street, to people just

Amen.

>The machine is NOT a total "Click-and-point" system,

I think the focus of that comment is against Workbench.  I agree with it,
but wanted to point out that CBM has said over and over that one of their
priorities for 1.4 was to overhaul workbench.

I'll let everybody read this, it's easy to miss:

>This message, being almost totally negative, is largely unrepresentative of
>our experience with the machine.

Lastly, agreed on the 'need to have a cheap network (presumably
through the MIDI port)'.  I think CBM knows that too, but doesn't know
what to do about it.  Remember, CBM is not a software company - I
think they'd rather see something like SLIP or DNET take off without
any work on CBM's behalf.

These are just conjectures, mind you.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (10/22/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 21-Oct-88 Re: Amiga public impressions*
> *Bob Page@swan.ulowell.ed (2281)*
> There's a product (software) that turns your Amiga into a Mirage
> player.  Just stick your Mirage disk into the Amiga and you can play
> them.  You can do a *little* editing, but that's not what the package
> is about.  It can also save the samples in IFF format.
What is this called?

-Miles

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) (10/22/88)

The solution to Workbench woes is Peter da Silva's Browser.  A fantastic
program that almost completely replaces Workbench.  When he gets CLI mode
working, it'll virtually replace that too.

I use CLI about twice a week now, and I never use Workbench any more.
On second thought, remove the 'almost' in the above paragraph.  *I* think
they should ship it with 1.3 and make it a selectable option in preferences.

Dan Hankins

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (10/22/88)

In article <8810211750.AA12489@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	So I'd say, C-A, fix the damn workbench!  I can't do everything!

Well, even if you dont, what you DO do is great!

(just found Dmouse...)

Terry...

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (10/24/88)

In article <9757@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> There's a product (software) that turns your Amiga into a Mirage
> player.  Just stick your Mirage disk into the Amiga and you can play
> them.  You can do a *little* editing, but that's not what the package
> is about.  It can also save the samples in IFF format.

	I have played with Sound Oasis a bit. This product is pretty hot
as far as getting fantastic sounds out of the Amiga. The package claims
2500 or so sounds available, well I believe it! I drove a music store
salesperson nuts copying everything in sight. (PD samples that is)

	Sound Oasis reads Ensoniq disks, but can be saved in "Oasis" format.
The advantage is you never have to read/decode the Mirage disks again.
Initial reads can take up to 4 minutes. The format is somewhat bizarre
and alien, so that's not very suprising.

	I have hooked this up to a terribly cheap Casio (MT-600, $129.00 at
Circuit City) and use the Casio's keyboard to trigger MIDI events in
Sound Oasis. Instant Ensoniq Mirage - $1000 bucks!

	I am still waiting for my upgrade from Dynamic Drums to Dynamic Studio.
Why? The new version of Dynamic Studio has Sound Oasis built in.

	So now you have a dirt cheap MIDI drum machine (ala Amiga), Ensoniq
Mirage, and MIDI sequencer. What more could a person ask for!

	Anyway, all is not roses. Sound Oasis gave me a lot of trouble, but
being new, and me and my stupid 68010 A2000 probably don't help either.

	I've also been waiting a HELLUVA long time for this upgrade (since
June, SHEEZ). Im still waiting. They say any day now.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business!)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/24/88)

Terry made several interesting points in his article.  From a joe
consumer point of view, he is correct in many instances.
Unfortunaely, the Amiga is often compared with the Atari ST.  Both
machines are in the same general price bracket and do employ the
same central processing element.  Really, the two machines excel in
different applications areas.  I feel that comparing the Amiga
(models) is sort of like comparing the IBM model 80 and Sun 386i.
The latter machines both happen to use an 80386 CPU, but each has
its own niche.

One thing that hurts the Amiga's game image is that some games are
poor ports from other machines to the Amiga.  Of course, the fault
is not the Amiga's, but rather the software author's.  There are
many Amiga specific programs that do use the Amiga's abilities to
the fullest.  Unfortunately, the Amiga's advanced hardware makes it
difficult to port the other direction.  It is relatively less work
to port (but not enhance) some IBM PC CGA program over to the
Amiga.  What you get on the Amiga then is CGA quality graphics.
Since software houses understand economics, stuff tends to get
written to the least common denominator.  Even a year and a half
after VGA graphics have become commonly available in the IBM PC
marketplace, there are relatively few mainstream applications that
use VGA to its full extent.

I've programmed custom graphics applications for both the Amiga and
IBM EGA.  I've frequently cussed at EGA becuase you just can't do
things in the EGA hardware that are easy on the Amiga.  VGA is
better, but it still has realatively minimal harware smarts.

As far as flicker goes, the high end IBM yardstick is the 8514
graphics system (hope I got the number right!).  The 8514 *IS
INTERLACED*.  IBM smelled the same economics that C-A did.  High
resolution non-interlaced graphics requires a *very good* monitor.
To do a 600*400 display non-interlaced at 60 Hz would require doing
600 lines in 1/60th sec.  That translates to 27 uS per line.  Let's
allow 7 uS for the horizontal retrace.  That means that you have to
put out 600 pixels in 20 uS, or a pixel every 33 nS.  To get a
semblance of a decent picture, you'd have to have a video fequency
response that is no more than -3 dB at 30 MHz!  (Even that would be
marginal).  That means that you'd have to get a monitor at least as
good as a NEC multisync Plus.  The Multisync Plus has a frequency
response to about 38 MHz on the VGA connecor, or about 45 MHz
through the BNC connects.  (Why it is better through the BNC who
knows; maybe they factor in some calbing losses for the VGA
connector).  The street price of the Multisync Plus in the latest
Priority One catalog is $900.  (Don't confuse this with the cheaper
Multisync II, which is $600.)  Of course, if your wallet is up to
it, you can get the Microway Flicker Fixer (~$500) and a Multisync
Plus and kick some serious video tail with an Amiga 2000.
Unfortunamely, this makes the entry level price around $3000, which
is not in the same market as the ST.  But with a 40 meg drive, the
Amiga would still be well under $4000, which makes it a very
attractive player in the medium level graphics market.

We use the interlacing to our advantage on the Amiga.  We use the
Amiga to study growth patterns in neurons (brain cells).  We can
collect data on video tape, looking at the cells under a
microscope.  At that time, we don't even have to worry about the
computer.  Later on, we can play the tape back into our digitizer.
One thing you do have to watch is that your VCR has an interlaced
pause feature.  Some of the newer VCRs with digital freeze do.
Standard VHS decks give you a non-interlaced half-frame in pause.
We take the shots in 640*400 mode, save them to disk, and then do a
post hoc video subtraction to see what changed over time.  The neat
thing is that the digitizer + software cost only $129 for the
Amiga.  True, it takes 30 sec to digitize a 640*400 grayscale
image, but for us that is OK.  Our A-1000 based system with hard
disk was well under $3K (exclusive of the cost of student slave
labor to program it).  It would have been impossible or much more
expensive on any other system.  It would have been around $6K on
an IBM system.  On Mac II, I don't even want to think about the
cost (and the Mac has that yucky Mac O/S to deal with; yes I've
really used Macs enough to be fair).

Atari TOS versus Amigados is not a terribly fair comparison either.
No more fair than comparing Unix/Xenix to msdos.  It didn't really
seem to me that using CLI is required to do things equivalent to
GEM operations.  There are things that I can (and do use CLI) for
that are not possible in GEM/TOS.  You can use a Sun strictly in
Sunview or Suntools without ever touching a C or Bourne shell, but
you won't get the most from the machine.  The same is true for
Amigados; CLI can be spurned if desired, but it is there.

The Amiga has "only" been on the market since the fall of 1985.
Considering that the Amiga hardware and software are unique
products, it seems to me that the machine has shown considerable
growth in that time.  The first 3 years of the IBM PC were pretty
dull years, with most software just being knock-offs of CP/M
products.  Really, once one learns how to write for Amigados, the
Amiga is easier to deal with because all hardware configurations
are more-or-less congruent.  In the IBM world, there are umpteen
hardware configurations operating at umpteen CPU speeds.  Wost of
all is the plethora of video types.  It is daunting to thoroughly
test out a PC application.

--Bill

In article <9757@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>There's a product (software) that turns your Amiga into a Mirage
>player.  Just stick your Mirage disk into the Amiga and you can play
>them.  You can do a *little* editing, but that's not what the package
>is about.  It can also save the samples in IFF format.

Unfortunately, what I want is a product that will write Amiga samples to
Mirage disks so I can convert my Amiga sample library to run on the
Mirage. (did most of my original sampling on the Amiga because that is
all that I had).  Heard of a product like that?  Either that or some
specs on Mirage disk format?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (10/25/88)

Several people have, accurately and unfortunately, missed the major point
of my "first impressions" of the machine.

There are all sorts of wonderful products out there, Browers, DMouse, ConMan,
etc. which can fix many of the usabilty faults in the system. However, I
PURPOSELY have NOT gotten them, and DELIBERATELY avoided the net as much as
I could force myself to (no comp.sys.amiga) such that I would NOT be aware
of these products.

Why? Because I was specifically attempting to identify the first reactions
as a new user. New users, the real people, walking into stores and looking at
the 2000 in the local shopping mall, dont GET those things. The store owners
dont know about the stuff in depth, and it's just not part of the machine.

CBM has demonstrated considerable post-Tramiel versatility. Is it conceivable
that they could put together a special Public Domain disk to ship with the
machine? Micro-EMACS came with it, so it's not that big of a leap.

Speaking of leap, the Byte review of the NeXT machine sez it's shipping with
GNU C++ compiler & GNU emacs. What's stopping anyone from including a C
compiler with the 2000? Its a proposition with some drawbacks, (compiler
market pressure for one,) but I think NeXT does come into the realm of
"competition."

An interesting note: A major theme of my original message was that the _base_
configuration of a machine defines (to a large extent) what people think and
expect of it. I was quite suprised to see how wholeheartedly the NeXT crew
took it to heart!

Steve Jobs and I think alike? Is that good? For either of us?

Terry Conklin                   "Eyes dripping blood, realization of death.
conklin@egr.msu.edu                       Transforming of five toes to two."
{msudoc|frith}!conklin                         -Slayer, Altar Of Sacrifice
The Club    (517) 372-3131  3/12/2400 In case you didn't guess ^^^^^^^
The Club II (313) 334-8877  3/12/2400 Club Net features Heavy Metal bases too

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (10/26/88)

In article <12722@eecae.UUCP> conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) writes:
>There are all sorts of wonderful products out there, Browers, DMouse, ConMan,
>etc. which can fix many of the usabilty faults in the system. However, I
>PURPOSELY have NOT gotten them, and DELIBERATELY avoided the net as much as
>I could force myself to (no comp.sys.amiga) such that I would NOT be aware
>of these products.
>
>Why? Because I was specifically attempting to identify the first reactions
>as a new user. New users, the real people, walking into stores and looking at
>the 2000 in the local shopping mall, dont GET those things. The store owners
>dont know about the stuff in depth, and it's just not part of the machine.

I've had my machine for 4 months now and I'm still finding out about some of
these programs.  They make a big difference on first impressions.  I have never
been a fan of the way Workbench works, and it to some extent slowed my decision
to get an Amiga.  Then, one day, I got Dmouse.  The increase in pleasurability
in just doing basic stuff was so great that I felt I had gotten a new machine.
Any dealer that is showing Amigas without Dmouse or Mach or some other such
utility, for example, is not putting the Amiga's best foot forward.

>CBM has demonstrated considerable post-Tramiel versatility. Is it conceivable
>that they could put together a special Public Domain disk to ship with the
>machine? Micro-EMACS came with it, so it's not that big of a leap.

How about a couple of disks?  It would of course be nice if the authors of
the software got a little "reward" for such a thing, but either way.
Speaking of which, what ever happened to the Goldfish disks?  Have they been
updated periodically?  It seemed to me that they were the answer to this
problem, though I've heard zilch about them lately.

Hey, I think a lot more stuff should be bundled with the machine just in
general, like an AmigaDos manual, for instance (wow, radical idea).

>Steve Jobs and I think alike? Is that good? For either of us?

Yikes.

.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
|  Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "I think my cerebellum just  |
|  AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com |      fused." - Calvin        |
.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/26/88)

I belive that the Amiga is not being sold with a C compiler beacuse
it is surmised that the target audiance for the machine does not
want a C compiler.  Of course, this may or may not be true.
Machines like the Macintosh and IBM [or clones thereof] do not
include C compilers.  With IBM, you don't even get DOS!  Of course,
you could use ROM BASIC on the IBM, but I don't know how you'd save
anything since the cassette recorder jacks are no longer included.
I suppose if C-A included Lattice C with every machine it sold,
they might be able to get a pretty good deal on the software
license.  The market that the Amiga 500 competes in is very price
sensative, and margins are relatively thin.   The extra 50 bucks
added to the cost (just guessing) would probably not be palletable.

Dealer support apparenty varies a lot too.  The dealer here happens
to be very good.  He has the complete fish library and a dedicated
Amiga running BBS-PC for an information forum.  Since there are
relatively few Amiga delers, it can be harder to find a competent
one within a given area.  IBM/clone dealers can be just as
incompetent.  All the IBM/clone dealers here are terrible.  The
nearest decent one is about a 45 mile drive.  Macintosh dealers are
usually good because Apple is very insistent that their dealers
provide a high level of support .. but the owner pays for by
suffering Apple's lack of price competetion.  C-A could police
dealers the way Apple does, but then Amigas would probalby have a
biased price structure similar to Apple's inflated prices.  Support
of Atari products is definitely worse than Amiga.  The only local
place that carries Atari is Toys R Us.  The profit has been pared
so thin on STs that nobody else is willing to carry it.  Toys R Us
treats the ST like any other comodity item they carry:  strictly
cash 'n carry.  The lady that rings-up cabbage patch dolls is the
same person that sells you your ST.. basically knows nothing other
than the ST is something that comes in a big box labeled "ST".

ST dealer-bashing is NOT ST-bashing.  Spare the flames.  The ST is
an OK piece of hardware, but it doesn't fit my particular
application as well as the Amiga fits.