[comp.sys.amiga] harddisk on bridgecard slowness woes

Sere@cup.portal.com (Serenella z Ciongoli) (10/16/88)

I also am interested in using the FFS with my Hard Disk (an SCSI Seagate ST299N
connected to the Bridgeboard). I have not been able to create a working
mountlist from the hints that Andy Finkel gave in his original posting.
 Could one of the developers he mentioned please post here an example of a
hard disk partitioned between PC and Amiga side, and the corresponding
mountlist?

                               Thanks a lot
                            Serenella Ciongoli

In article <10066@cup.portal.com> Sere@cup.portal.com (Serenella z Ciongoli) writes:
|I also am interested in using the FFS with my Hard Disk (an SCSI Seagate ST299N
|connected to the Bridgeboard). I have not been able to create a working
|mountlist from the hints that Andy Finkel gave in his original posting.
| Could one of the developers he mentioned please post here an example of a
|hard disk partitioned between PC and Amiga side, and the corresponding
|mountlist?

The "standard" DJMOUNT command doesn't need any mountlist entry.  Also,
I don't think the original DPFORMAT  allows a FFS switch.  At least none
is documented in the original manual for the A2088.
[I just checked with DPFORMAT ? and it does not seem to allow any options,
unlike FORMAT that accepts FFS among others]

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/18/88)

In article <10066@cup.portal.com> Sere@cup.portal.com (Serenella z Ciongoli) writes:
-I also am interested in using the FFS with my Hard Disk (an SCSI Seagate ST299N
-connected to the Bridgeboard). I have not been able to create a working
-mountlist from the hints that Andy Finkel gave in his original posting.
- Could one of the developers he mentioned please post here an example of a
-hard disk partitioned between PC and Amiga side, and the corresponding
-mountlist?
-

Is it really possible to have FFS on a hard disk connected to
the BridgeBoard ?

czs00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Serenella Ciongoli) (10/24/88)

In article <12859@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
In article <10066@cup.portal.com> Sere@cup.portal.com (Serenella Ciongoli) writes:
|I also am interested in using the FFS with my Hard Disk (an SCSI Seagate ST299N
|connected to the Bridgeboard). I have not been able to create a working
|mountlist from the hints that Andy Finkel gave in his original posting.
| Could one of the developers he mentioned please post here an example of a
|hard disk partitioned between PC and Amiga side, and the corresponding
|mountlist?

>The "standard" DJMOUNT command doesn't need any mountlist entry.  Also,
>I don't think the original DPFORMAT  allows a FFS switch.  At least none
>is documented in the original manual for the A2088.
> etc
>- Marco Papa 'Doc'

The original posting by Andy Finkel on 17aug88 was saying:

"If you know the partition information, you should be able to use the
 standard AmigaDOS MOUNT command, by entering this partition information
 into your mountlist."

Then it went on suggesting what to put in the mountlist. He also very
clearly stated that he had not personally tried the procedure, but had been
told that it worked. Also, having defined the Amiga HD partitions this way,
the user should be able to use the FFS with them. If an HD connected thru
the Bridgeboard is mounted using DPMOUNT, it cannot be formatted/used
with FFS.

I tried to create a mountlist according to the original info (I can post the
details of my configuration if someone asks me to), but, when issuing the
mount command, it would not recognize my partition as an AmigaDOS unit.

So again, CATS or whomever developed this procedure, could you please post
a practical example on how to do it? I would like very much to use FFS with
my AmigaDOS partitions.

                                     Thanks
                                Serenella Ciongoli

czs00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Serenella Ciongoli) (10/27/88)

>In article <10066@cup.portal.com> Sere@cup.portal.com (Serenella Ciongoli) writes:
>|I also am interested in using the FFS with my Hard Disk (an SCSI Seagate ST299N
>|connected to the Bridgeboard). I have not been able to create a working
>|mountlist from the hints that Andy Finkel gave in his original posting.
>| Could one of the developers he mentioned please post here an example of a
>|hard disk partitioned between PC and Amiga side, and the corresponding
>|mountlist?

I have received mail from Bill Koester at CATS, in wich he states that
a new release of DJMOUNT, due out in a few months (JANUS 2?) will allow
the use of a PC partition as an FFS volume.

                            Serenella Ciongoli