[comp.sys.amiga] MSDOS:

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/14/88)

In article <8810131005.AA13277@MATH.Tau.Ac.IL>, finkel@TAURUS.BITNET writes:
> I've received a letter from a BITNET user on Germany who claims he has written
> an MSDOS device/handler, but he did only the read part. he didn't manage to
> write an MSDOS sector or track.

All *right*. Now if he'd publish it, someone would hack that in in no time.

> I also don't see why do you think you will need 'dosmount'.

Convenience. I don't want to dedicate a drive to DOS, and there isn't an
unmount command currently available.

> You will have to get an 'unmount' command to prevent FileSystem from trying
> to validate your MS-DOS disk when you insert it into DF0 or DF1 .

Right, and another when you want to *stop* using the DOS format and use your
amiga drive again (something to tell doshandler.device to go away). These
are the commands I'm calling 'dosmount' and 'dosunmount'.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/15/88)

In article <2816@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Right, and another when you want to *stop* using the DOS format and use your
>amiga drive again (something to tell doshandler.device to go away). These
>are the commands I'm calling 'dosmount' and 'dosunmount'.

Why not just inhibit the handler you're not using ?

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"People who post news as root probably have other bad habits, too."

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/16/88)

In article <4994@cbmvax.UUCP>, andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
> In article <2816@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Right, and another when you want to *stop* using the DOS format and use your
> >amiga drive again (something to tell doshandler.device to go away). These
> >are the commands I'm calling 'dosmount' and 'dosunmount'.

> Why not just inhibit the handler you're not using ?

Fine. You still need a command you can type at "1>" that'll do the job. If I
call that command "dosunmount" does it offend your sensibilities? I don't
recall an "Inhibit" command in 1.2, and didn't see one mentioned in the
article about 1.3.
--

mlelstv@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (10/27/88)

In article <4994@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>In article <2816@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>Right, and another when you want to *stop* using the DOS format and use your
>>amiga drive again (something to tell doshandler.device to go away). These
>>are the commands I'm calling 'dosmount' and 'dosunmount'.
>
>Why not just inhibit the handler you're not using ?
Why not doing anything at all ?
Usually, we have a AmigaDOS FileSystem on trackdisk-formatted disks.
And we have MSDOS FileSystem on ibmdisk-formatted disks. (ibmdisk.device
is nearly completed and reads/writes standard ibm mfm-format).
Now, if you insert an AmigaDOS disk then AmigaDOS recognizes the disk and
the MS-DOS handler says DFx:BAD and vice versa.
You may say that this DFx:BAD is not nice (since the disk isn't really bad),
but inhibiting the handler leads to a DFx:BUSY. That is not much difference
on the display.

An idea for kickstart 1.4: let the user hide unwanted disk icons.
I have 4 partitions on my harddisk, RAM, RAD, 2 drives and my workbench screen
is filled with icons.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!faui44!mlelstv