[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga --> Mac LaserWriter II

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (10/25/88)

I am anxious to purchase a desktop publishing program but
cannot yet afford a laser printer. Where I work, there are many
Mac's hooked to LaserWriter II's. Is there any path (comercial
or public domain) to take the output of an Amiga publishing
program, put into a Mac-readable file on a Mac-readable disk
for printing on the LaserWriter??????
There just isn't enough room in my budget for a 020/881 board,
frame buffer, 100 Meg hard disk, AND a laser printer.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9229               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/26/88)

From article <796@savax.UUCP>, by thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark):
> Is there any path (comercial
> or public domain) to take the output of an Amiga publishing
> program, put into a Mac-readable file on a Mac-readable disk
> for printing on the LaserWriter??????

     Professional Page, from Gold Disk, will send its Postscript output to
a disk file.  Postscript files are readable ASCII text, so you should be
able to transmit the file through your modem to a Macintosh, then send it
to the printer.  Hmm.  Maybe the Mac doesn't have a utility like "type"
that allows you to send a file to the printer.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3
      ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

rmf%Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%UNCAEDU.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (Russ Forster) (10/27/88)

        One thing you can do, is use Expresspaint II to write the
        image to a postscript file.  Kermit that file to your
        MAC and then print it off from there.  We do it all the
        time and it works great.

        /Russ
-----
Russell M. Forster, Systems Programmer II.

Mount Royal College        DECnet: RMF @ Janus
Computer Operations        BITnet: RForster @ UncaEdu.BITnet
4825 Richard Rd. S.W.      ICBM:   51 03 N / 114 05 W
Calgary, Alberta           Phone:  (403) 240-6052
T3E 6K6

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (10/28/88)

The original posting in this thread asked about the feasibility of somehow
getting Amiga files printed out on a LaserWriter.

In article <5040@louie.udel.EDU> rmf%Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%UNCAEDU.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (Russ Forster) writes:

>        One thing you can do, is use Expresspaint II to write the
>        image to a postscript file.  Kermit that file to your
>        MAC and then print it off from there.  We do it all the
>        time and it works great.

That certainly sounds possible, but only if one has a spare Macintosh lying
around (that isn't being used as a doorstop).  The original question echoed
one of my pet fantasies.  You see, there are dozens of places now where one
can go and rent time on a Mac/LaserWriter for a pretty cheap price.  I envy
this public-access laser/hard-copy capability the Mac world has.

Since it's probably unlikely that these places will start installing Amigas
tied to laser printers, the only solution is to show up with a Macintosh-
readable disk.  I think it has been discussed before, but is it possible
for the Amiga to produce a Mac-readable disk, ready to be cheaply lasered
at the neighborhood copy store?

		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP)

whitcomb@vivaldi.Berkeley.EDU (Gregg Whitcomb) (10/28/88)

> ...  You see, there are dozens of places now where one
> can go and rent time on a Mac/LaserWriter for a pretty cheap price.  I envy
> this public-access laser/hard-copy capability the Mac world has.
>
> Since it's probably unlikely that these places will start installing Amigas
> tied to laser printers, the only solution is to show up with a Macintosh-
> readable disk.  I think it has been discussed before, but is it possible
> for the Amiga to produce a Mac-readable disk, ready to be cheaply lasered
> at the neighborhood copy store?
>
> 		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP)

They may not install Amigas, but they may do what some of the centers
in this area do: install modems!  It's no problem to dial up their
machines and download the postscript files.  They do charge a bit
more for downloading however (about the same or less than the printing
charge).

-Gregg Whitcomb (whitcomb@ic.berkeley.edu)