[comp.sys.amiga] Sticky A1000 Keyboard

mrr@amanpt1.zone1.com (Mark Rinfret) (10/25/88)

This topic pops up from time to time and will probably continue to do so as
more A1000 (and other?) keyboard cross over into the Geriatric Zone.  My
backspace key had been getting progressively worse, to the point where I
would occaisionally see 3 or 4 letters get wiped out with a single depression.
Then the left-hand shift key went, then the 4, then the s, etc.  Having a
fairly high level of motivation (I was getting really P. O.'d!), I first
attempted to clean the key plungers with alcohol, applied with a Q-tip.
This appeared to work but the stickies came back in a couple of days.  I
went out this weekend, looking for something silicone-based with a fine
nozzle tip which would allow me to precisely lubricate the offending keys.
What I found instead was (trumpet fanfare)

Elmer's Slide-All with Teflon, Dry Spray Lubricant.
"More slip than silicone or graphite - no oily stain."

I was a little put off by the fact that this stuff comes in an aerosol can,
but I went ahead and tried it on the backspace key, spraying cautiously,
one short burst on each side.  I was a little worried that I might work some
of the stuff down to the contact (conductive rubber?) at the foot of the
plunger and insulate it.  Success!  It worked like a champ! No drips, no
residue, "no oily stain".  I have a keyboard that works like new again.  This
may not sound like much unless you've been confronted with losing your Amiga
to the "Great Service Void".

For those of you who don't know it already, the keycaps can be very easily
removed by applying a firm, GENTLE prying action to their undersides.  They're
just a press fit.  I used a small jeweler's screwdriver.

That's all...
		Mark

--
< Mark R. Rinfret,  mrr@amanpt1.ZONE1.COM | ...rayssd!galaxia!amanpt1!mrr    >
< HyperView Systems Corp.               Home: 401-846-7639                   >

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/26/88)

mrr@amanpt1.zone1.com (Mark Rinfret) wrote:
>Elmer's Slide-All with Teflon, Dry Spray Lubricant.
>"More slip than silicone or graphite - no oily stain."

I've had remarkable success with my keyboard, never had a key
stick in over 3 years of use, with only two rules:

  1. Keep it in the garage when you're not using it (keeps
     dust and the cat off it)
  2. Keep caffeine products and circular debuggers away from it.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (10/28/88)

In article <9860@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

>   2. Keep caffeine products and circular debuggers away from it.
>
> Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
> Have five nice days.

Ok, I'll byte. What is a circular debugger?

  Greg Garner
  gmg@hcx.uucp
  501-442-4847

/* Come on guys, lets get busy and build a FTL drive! */