[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disks for 2090A

870646c@aucs.UUCP (870646c) (10/19/88)

Hi all, could someone please recommand a 20 meg. drive that should be used
with the 2090A disk controller. I was thinking of getting a Seagate ST225
just because of its low price, but I have heard that people were having lots
of problems with these drives??????????
Also can anyone recommand a good 40 meg?
later
Barry

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (10/25/88)

[I think the line eater bug is go^%

In <1312@aucs.UUCP>, 870646c@aucs.UUCP (870646c) writes:
> I was thinking of getting a Seagate ST225 just because of its low price,
> but I have heard that people were having lots of problems with these
> drives??????????

I have been running a Seagate ST225 drive for over a year now, on a 2090
without any sign of trouble. It's no screamer, clocking in at about 240K/sec
Diskperfs (32K buffer) using FFS, but it has been reliable to the point that
I forget it's there. I am running it on the ST506 port, along with a 3.5"
Fuji 20 meg.

-larry

--
If all the MSDos machines were laid end to end,
  they still wouldn't be as fun as a single Amiga.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/28/88)

While I don't have any experience with ST-225 drives attached to
the 2090 / 2090A controller card for the Amiga, I do have
experience with ST-225s connected to lots of other things.  My
experience has been that ST-225 reliability is about average
compared to other brands.  Out of about 150 ST-225s in use here,
one has failed in the last year.  Most of the drives are less than
two years old.  I think the MTBF for the ST-225 is around 25,000
hours, so our failure rate is in the correct statistical range
compared with Seagates claims.

The one drive that did fail had only a few hundred hours on it.  I
tested it, and it showed that the RPM was 3499 when it should have
been 3600.  My guess is that the spindle motor control IC went bad.

As far as I can tell, it only looks like a lot of ST-225s go bad
because there are so many in the installed base.  The only thing
you have to watch out for is that you don't use too long mounting
screws, which can deform the case of the drive.  As long as you
don't go overboard tightening the mounting screws, all should be
fine.

--Bill

:    only thing you have to watch out for is that you don't use too
:    long mounting screws, which can deform the case of the
:    drive. . . .
:This is especially important for the screws you drive into the side of the
:drive.  In its product manuals, Seagate shows a minimum clearance of only
:1/8" from the side to the case.  For two ST-225N's I checked, it was more
:like 3/16".

	Because .... if you use longer screws, you smash them into the
trace-embedded plastic going from the controller board to the drive, and,
Ladies and gentlemen, you break *that* and your drive goes <poof>... and
you can't fix it yourself.

					-Matt