[comp.sys.amiga] MFM vs RLL drives

drz@csri.toronto.edu (Jerry Zarycky) (10/19/88)

This is probably a silly question, but is there any way to
use an RLL drive in conjunction with the 2090A controller?
I can get a 120 Meg MFM drive which is also a 180 Meg RLL drive
and I hate to lose the extra 60 Meg.
Can one buy an RLL controller and somehow magically interface it
to the 2090A controller?

(Can't you tell it's a software type talking? :-))

Jerry Zarycky

Usenet:	{uunet,watmath}!csri.toronto.edu!drz,  lshum@utzoo.toronto.edu
CSNET:	drz@csri.toronto.edu         EAN:   drz@csri.toronto.cdn
BITNET:	drz@csri.utoronto

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (10/29/88)

In article <8810190228.AA12474@baldwin.csri.toronto.edu> drz@csri.toronto.edu (Jerry Zarycky) writes:
>This is probably a silly question, but is there any way to
>use an RLL drive in conjunction with the 2090A controller?
>I can get a 120 Meg MFM drive which is also a 180 Meg RLL drive
>and I hate to lose the extra 60 Meg.
>Can one buy an RLL controller and somehow magically interface it
>to the 2090A controller?

Well, you could always buy an Adaptec 4070 SCSI to ST506 controller, and
connect it to the SCSI port of your 2090A, but that seems incredibly
inefficient (not to say redundant), since the 2090A already has ST506!  Of
course, the 4070 card can be had for $100 to $130, depending upon the source,
and that amount of $$ doesn't seem too bad for another 60 meg of hard disk
space!

--
  - Mike Shawaluk       (...!uunet!uwmcsd1!lakesys!mikes)

In article <1143@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Well, you could always buy an Adaptec 4070 SCSI to ST506 controller, and
>connect it to the SCSI port of your 2090A, but that seems incredibly
>inefficient (not to say redundant), since the 2090A already has ST506!  Of
>course, the 4070 card can be had for $100 to $130, depending upon the source,
>and that amount of $$ doesn't seem too bad for another 60 meg of hard disk
>space!

	Just a word of advice, if you do get a Adaptec 4070:  with the
current driver software, you must format the drive/adaptec on another machine
for 512 byte sectors before using it on the Amiga.  I'd make sure you had
access to a controller that can format the adaptec before buying one (note
that some of the third-party SCSI controllers are made for use with
Adaptecs, or have software available to do the initial format.)

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup