[comp.sys.amiga] A second ST-506

macdonald@mtwain.dec.com (Paul MacDonald - CUP/ML - 223-3439) (10/29/88)

I've been having difficulty getting a second 42Mbyte hard drive to
PREP. I presently have a 5.25" 42 Mbyte NEC drive (ST-506) hanging
off the A2090 controller card. It is partitioned as DH0: and DH1:.
DH1: is formatted as an FFS device. This drive has been performing
flawlessly.

The second drive that I have attempted to install is a 3.5" 42 Mbyte
NEC (ST-506). After cabling it up, I boot the Amiga 2000. A message
comes up saying that "DH0: is not a dos disk." After disconnecting
the ribbon connector from the A2090 leading to the 3.5" drive and
rebooting, everything is back to normal.

To get around that message, I reconnect the 3.5" ribbon cable to the
A2090 with the 2000 powered up. No problem ... In my mount list I have
the 3.5" drive defined as DH2:  (2 sectors) and DH3: (the balance of the
615 sectors). I MOUNT DH2:. No problem. Next I PREP DH2: ...

End of first Partition 2
Sectors 615
etc, etc.

At the final stroke of the RETURN key, the message Device NOT Prepped
appears.

The drive is recognized (I even tried a FORMAT command, and I could
hear the heads moving).

There appears to be two problems:

1.  The second drive on the buss causes the existing drive not to be
    recognized.

2.  The second drive cannot be prepped and therefore cannot be formatted.

Any thoughts on this?

Paul

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/01/88)

In article <8810281431.AA02050@decwrl.dec.com> macdonald@mtwain.dec.com (Paul MacDonald - CUP/ML - 223-3439) writes:
>I've been having difficulty getting a second 42Mbyte hard drive to
>PREP. I presently have a 5.25" 42 Mbyte NEC drive (ST-506) hanging
>off the A2090 controller card. It is partitioned as DH0: and DH1:.
>DH1: is formatted as an FFS device. This drive has been performing
>flawlessly.
>
>The second drive that I have attempted to install is a 3.5" 42 Mbyte
>NEC (ST-506). After cabling it up, I boot the Amiga 2000. A message
>comes up saying that "DH0: is not a dos disk." After disconnecting
>the ribbon connector from the A2090 leading to the 3.5" drive and
>rebooting, everything is back to normal.

You are probably experiencing name collision; the second ST506
drive is going to want to be called DH1:  Unfortunately, you've
used this for the second partition of your first drive.
So, rename your DH1: partition in the mountlist to something else.
(Not DH2:, please, that's for the first SCSI unit...how about FH0: or FH1:  ?)

Also, make sure you've set the unit number in the
mountlist correctly...the second ST506 drive is unit 2
in the mountlist.

Forget all the other things you were trying; they were just confusing
the issue.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"I first began to lose faith in software engineering when I found out
 that no two printers were compatible."