[comp.sys.amiga] Prolog, Lisp and Scheme for the Amiga

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) (10/19/88)

     I have just finished the semantics for an object-oriented concurrent
language for the Amiga.  The final version will be in Modula-2, but I would
like to prototype in either Prolog or Lisp.  If Lisp I would probably use
Scheme.

     I would appreciate some comparative reviews of VTProlog, SBProlog,
Scheme and XLisp 2.0, focusing on performance, completeness, and
suitability for my application.  If you feel it would be of any general
interest (I do) then post here, otherwise just send me email.

     Thanks in advance.

Dan Hankins

bennete@romana.cs.orst.edu (Erik J. Bennett) (10/19/88)

Is Xlisp 2.0 pd?
Where might one get it?
-Erik

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (10/20/88)

In article <10175@cup.portal.com> dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) writes:
>     I would appreciate some comparative reviews of VTProlog, SBProlog,
>Scheme and XLisp 2.0, focusing on performance, completeness, and
>suitability for my application.  If you feel it would be of any general
>interest (I do) then post here, otherwise just send me email.

The only version of VTProlog I saw didn't work.  I looked at the code for
a while, and decided that, even if it worked, it wouldn't be good for much.
Like SIOD (Scheme In One Defun), it's basically a toy, not a serious tool.

I haven't used SBProlog much, but it seems fairly complete.  You do need
more than a Meg to run it.  Not being much of a Prolog programmer, I really
can't say much about suitability for your application.

XLisp 2.0 is also fairly complete, and mostly Common Lisp compatible
(except for the scoping rules), but it's on the slow side.  There's a lot
excess overhead, especially in the I/O and math.  I've been thinking about
trying to speed it up some, but haven't got far yet.

I like Ed Puckett's Scheme implementation a lot, but it doesn't have
floating point math.  If you need reals, then you'll have to look elsewhere.
Otherwise, it's great.  It doesn't have engines, or access to a timer
interrupt; it does have continuations, dynamic-wind, and lots of other
neat stuff.  It's reasonably fast, but the memory allocation/garbage
collection method is a bit of a hog (these two facts are correlated...).
The cleanliness and conceptual power of the Scheme language make it a
good match for your application.  This would be my first choice for
language prototyping, but that may just be because I haven't really
learned Prolog yet...

None of these have been particularly AmigaIzed:  none of them offer access
to the system libraries, or any special Amiga features.  Source to Scheme
is not available (as far as I know); source for all the others is.

Hope this helps.

-Dan Riley (dsr@lns61.tn.cornell.edu, dsr@crnlns.bitnet)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (10/21/88)

In article <6635@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
> In article <10175@cup.portal.com> dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) writes:
> >     I would appreciate some comparative reviews of VTProlog, SBProlog,
> >Scheme and XLisp 2.0, focusing on performance, completeness, and
>
> None of these have been particularly AmigaIzed:  none of them offer access
> to the system libraries, or any special Amiga features.  Source to Scheme

Not exactly. I've AmigaIzed XLISP 2.0, with the following points:
1) ability to call ANY libraries that can be specified by a fd.file
(that is arguments are passed in registers, not on the stack)
2) manipulation of C structures form XLISP, using the OO features.
this uses a modified form of include files.

All this needs only a tiny object module that provides a new function
I called callasm, and also some functions to read/write directly memory
at a given address, bye/word/long at a time.
Besides this object module, EVERYTHING is written in XLISP. yes.

Now, what's my problem: I have the permission of Carolyn Scheppner to
distribute my modified include files needed for manipulating C structures.
BUT, David Betz requires that people willing to distribute a non-standard
version of XLISP ask him for permission. I send Mr Betz a disk with
my implementation on it monthes ago, and I've had no answer.

I think I will send to Fred Fish the only parts needed to AmigaIze XLISP2.0,
together will the lisp code and include files as soon as possible.
If one of you has the possibility to reach Mr Betz, I would appreciate
his/her help

--
*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *

brant@alberta.UUCP (Brant Coghlan) (10/30/88)

In article <1121@inria.UUCP> rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>In article <6635@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
>> In article <10175@cup.portal.com> dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) writes:
>> >     I would appreciate some comparative reviews of VTProlog, SBProlog,
>> >Scheme and XLisp 2.0, focusing on performance, completeness, and
>>
>> None of these have been particularly AmigaIzed:  none of them offer access
>> to the system libraries, or any special Amiga features.  Source to Scheme

	The WISDOM implementation of Edinburgh Prolog is available for the
Amiga, as well as a disk full of instructional programs.  I was reading
Sterling and Shapiro's "The Art of Prolog", and since I am sick with
the flu I was flipping around more than I usually do.  At the very end of
the book is an add for WISDOM prolog.  Has anyone used this prolog on their
Amigas?  How much memory is needed?  How fast is it?
	Enough questions, my head is spinning already (that is probabily
the flu again :-&
	Here is the text of the add:

WISDOM PROLOG
developed by Shmuel Safra
at the Weizmann Institute of Science

A new Prolog interpreter with these special features:
* user definable shell and environment
* 100 system predicates
* 320K RAM used by user-data (PC only); up to 80Mb on UNIX machines
* powerful debugger
* screen management
* exit to OS w/o leaving interpreter

For more info contact Motti Goldberg at: max@wisdom (CSNET or BITNET)

The MIT press is selling it at $95 US  (code SAFWA) Amiga version
They also have a companion disk of the programs from the book for the
same price.

	This is quite commercial, but since we would all like to know
more about this product I thought it was justified.  I have nothing
to do with any of the above including the content of this message.
I am currently delirlous and not responsible for my ravings.
-Brant

--
 Brant Coghlan	(career student)  (403) 487-3619     ...!alberta!brant
 Dept. of Comp. Science, 615 GSB, U of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) (11/01/88)

About the availability of Wisdom Prolog:  It ain't.

I tried to get this, and was informed by the MIT Press that the author had
decided not to produce an Amiga version.  It's basically what I would
consider false advertising.

Dan Hankins