[comp.sys.amiga] Safety reminder

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (11/01/88)

In article <106@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
>  I had the same problem with my 1080, though not a severe as yours. It
>would pop about every 2 hours or so. What is did was this:
>   1) Open it up.
>   2) Get your handy dandy low power dirt sucker and try to get all the loose dust
>   3) With a damp cloth start getting rid of as much dust and dirt as you can.
>   4) close it.

Probably a zillion people are going to say this, but I will too, because
it's important.  BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL MUCKING ABOUT INSIDE YOUR MONITOR.
THERE ARE >>HIGH<< VOLTAGES INSIDE, WHICH MAY PERSIST LONG AFTER THE
MONITOR IS TURNED OFF AND UNPLUGGED.  Don't touch anything unless you
know the proper techniques for discharging high voltage supplies, and
are extremely confident that you have done so correctly.  Don't go
anywhere NEAR the back of the electron gun with a damp cloth without
(1) discharging the tube and (2) making sure that there is some one
with CPR training watching your every move.  Better yet, just don't go
near it with a damp cloth at all.

-Dan Riley (dsr@lns61.tn.cornell.edu, dsr@crnlns.bitnet)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (11/01/88)

]
] Probably a zillion people are going to say this, but I will too, because
] it's important.  BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL MUCKING ABOUT INSIDE YOUR MONITOR.
] THERE ARE >>HIGH<< VOLTAGES INSIDE, WHICH MAY PERSIST LONG AFTER THE
] MONITOR IS TURNED OFF AND UNPLUGGED.  Don't touch anything unless you
] know the proper techniques for discharging high voltage supplies, and
] are extremely confident that you have done so correctly.  Don't go
] anywhere NEAR the back of the electron gun with a damp cloth without
] (1) discharging the tube and (2) making sure that there is some one
] with CPR training watching your every move.  Better yet, just don't go
] near it with a damp cloth at all.
]
] -Dan Riley (dsr@lns61.tn.cornell.edu, dsr@crnlns.bitnet)
] -Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

 I forgot one step...
    0) TURN THE MONITOR OFF!!! and UNPLUG IT!!

  In 3) when I say damp I mean DAMP, not WET just damp.. very well rung out..
Thanks for the reminder Dan.

Trevor Paquette - GraphicsLand, U of Calgary[Home of The Great Train Rubbery]
UUCP: ...!{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette        ICBM:51 03 N/114 05 W
   Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter. *** Don't worry, be happy