[comp.sys.amiga] Deluxe Series protection

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (10/31/88)

In article <190@jhunix.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	Be aware that EA does not copy protect all its games.  For example,
>Bard's Tale II is unprotected... not to mention all the "Deluxe" series
>programs.

Ahem.  I beg to differ; specifically, Deluxe Music Construction Set and Deluxe
Paint II (and DP I, for that matter) are copy-protected, or at least they were
when I bought mine.  Granted, EA would sell you a non-protected version of the
same program if you sent them an extra $20 or so with an enclosed order card,
which I never did.  Also, their mechanism for these programs was the dreaded
Key Disk system (I just *love* leaving out my master Deluxe Paint disk for my
6 year old to pop in the computer when it's asked for -- which is why I
graciously accepted a copy of the non-protected version from a friend.  Which
brings up an interesting question; since I already paid for the protected
version of DP II, am I in violation of the license agreement in accepting the
unprotected version of the program without paying the extra $20?  Especially
when EA's rationale for charging the $20 is to recover their losses on the
piracy that will take place on the unprotected version?)

--
  - Mike Shawaluk       (...!uunet!uwmcsd1!lakesys!mikes)

In article <1146@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Ahem.  I beg to differ; specifically, Deluxe Music Construction Set and Deluxe
>Paint II (and DP I, for that matter) are copy-protected, or at least they were
>when I bought mine.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - The operative phrase. If you sent in your registration
cards you should have been given a subscribtion to "Farther" and "Deluxe News"
which both announced the change in EA's policy with respect to the "Deluxe"
series. Now if you get your disk updated ($7.50 P&H) you will get the
unprotected version. I did this with both DMCS and DPaint II when they
changed the policy. All *new* purchases of these products are the unprotected
version unless they are very old stock.

>  - Mike Shawaluk       (...!uunet!uwmcsd1!lakesys!mikes)

--Chuck McManis