[comp.sys.amiga] Sonix and samples

rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (08/30/88)

>In article 8450@cup.portal.com  Andrew writes:

>While I'am posting I should ask a question that I have been meaning to ask for
>quite some time now.  I would like to know if it is possible to use a sampled
>sound (from Perfect Sound Sampler for example) in a sonix score?

Andrew,

The answer is yes and no.  No, you can't do it directly because Sonix uses RFF
file format (Mark Riley) instead of IFF format.  Yes, many of the sounds that
come with Sonix are sampled (especially ones from the instruments disk).  In
order to do it you need a conversion program and there is one but I forget the
name of it etc.  Sorry been a long time since I've done Sonix.

Ran

mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) (08/30/88)

>> Sampled sounds and Sonix

Sonix supports both the IFF and RFF sampled sounds directly.  In order to
utilize an IFF sampled sound (of the 8SVX variety) in a Sonix score, just
rename it with a suffix of ".instr" - you will then be able to use that
instrument as you would any other Sonix instrument.  As to the RFF format,
it is particular to Sonix alone.  It adds some features to sampled sound
playback that IFF doesn't support (BTW, it also predates IFF.)  Among
these: vibrato and a dynamic envelope using a Yamaha style EG.  Sonix
is able to convert most IFF samples to the RFF format itself.  One other
feature of the RFF format is it's ability to create many different
sounding instruments from the same sample.  This is done by using
different patches (vibrato and envelope) on the same waveform data.
The patches are short (100 bytes), so it pays to use many of those
since the waveform data can run anywhere from 8K to 40K or more.  If you'd
like to generate RFF sounds directly with your sampler, than I'd
suggest you get a copy of AudioMaster from Aegis.  The program is
quite handy for manipulating samples of the IFF and RFF type and
converting between the two.

-Mark-

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!crash!gryphon!pnet02!mriley
INET: mriley@pnet02.cts.com

"Hey, I don't _use_ programs, I write them..."  ;-)

ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) (09/02/88)

In article <3877@louie.udel.EDU>, rsine@nswc-wo.arpa writes:
> >In article 8450@cup.portal.com  Andrew writes:
> >quite some time now.  I would like to know if it is possible to use a sampled
> >sound (from Perfect Sound Sampler for example) in a sonix score?
>
> order to do it you need a conversion program and there is one but I forget the
> name of it etc.  Sorry been a long time since I've done Sonix.
>
> Ran

Ooops!  The name of the conversion program is Sonix! :-)
If you put the right extensions on your sampled sound (and it's in IFF,
of course) Sonix will accept it. If you then save it, it is saved as
an "RFF" file. Of course, you can't do all of the nice manipulation of
the sound that you can with Sonix sounds, but if you've got Perfect
Sound that should pose little problem.

meyers@wybbs.UUCP (John Meyers) (09/13/88)

In article <2590@sugar.uu.net>, ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) writes:

> If you put the right extensions on your sampled sound (and it's in IFF,
> of course) Sonix will accept it. If you then save it, it is saved as
> an "RFF" file. Of course, you can't do all of the nice manipulation of
> the sound that you can with Sonix sounds, but if you've got Perfect
> Sound that should pose little problem.

?? Well, I guess MY Sonix 2.0 must be a fluke because once the IFF is
converted to RFF, I get full use of the RFF features, including all those
fancy sample manipulations. (Why else convert it to RFF???)

I [heart] SONIX!

ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) (09/28/88)

In article <105@wybbs.UUCP>, meyers@wybbs.UUCP (John Meyers) writes:
> In article <2590@sugar.uu.net>, ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) writes:
> >
> > If you put the right extensions on your sampled sound (and it's in IFF,
> > of course) Sonix will accept it. If you then save it, it is saved as
>
> ?? Well, I guess MY Sonix 2.0 must be a fluke because once the IFF is
> converted to RFF, I get full use of the RFF features, including all those
> fancy sample manipulations. (Why else convert it to RFF???)
Uh,yeah.... right.  I guess if you save it as RFF and bring it back in
you DO get the same capabilites you get with any other sampled sound.
I guess what I really should have said is that you don't get all of
the goodies you get with SONIX *synthesized* sounds, but of course that
has nothing to do with the original topic, etc.  Compared to some of the
other sound packages you can get for working on IFF sounds, I'd hesitate
to call SONIX's sample manipulatons "fancy".

> I [heart] SONIX!

I'm pretty fond of it, too!

 Scott Denham

rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (11/03/88)

Gentlepeople,

How does one get a sampled sound that is in IFF format to work with Sonix?
Is there a PD/Shareware program to convert from IFF to RFF format?

Ran

bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/05/88)

Sonix should be able to load an IFF sound file.  Check to see if the file has
.IFF tagged onto the end of the filename.  This is the only way it will see the
instrument (I think.)  If not, then it needs to have a .instr file to accompany
it.

There should be an example file that came on the original disk.  All of this is
guessing as I don't have my Amiga here and haven't used Sonix recently.

Brian Yamanaka
U of Illinois student