[comp.sys.amiga] Updating text in requesters.

mike@eklektik.UUCP (Mike Stilson) (10/29/88)

Ok, here's the problem:
 A requester which will let the user set the size of a RAM buffer using a
prop gadget.  What I NEED to do is to to update the amount display as the user
slides the gadget.   (it looks like this)
                 Memory Buffer Requester
		     Size:  ___ k

		________________________
	       | #                      |
	       |_#______________________|

What I WANT to do is to update the ___ as the user moves the gadget.  I know I
can do it using a window instead, then I can print the IText as I go, but I
already have the requester made up & worked into the code, and it SEEMS there
should be a way to do it.

Mike
...{allegra,cadre}!pitt!idis!eklektik!mike
{ucbvax!sun,uunet!portal}!cup.portal.com!sirius

In article <308@eklektik.UUCP> mike@eklektik.UUCP (Mike Stilson) writes:
>What I WANT to do is to update the ___ as the user moves the gadget.  I know I
>can do it using a window instead, then I can print the IText as I go, but I
>already have the requester made up & worked into the code, and it SEEMS there
>should be a way to do it.

	Use the rastport that's part of the requesters' layer (something
like req->ReqLayer->rp, check the include files.)  Then you can just use
PrintIText.

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

In article <308@eklektik.UUCP> mike@eklektik.UUCP (Mike Stilson) writes:
>Ok, here's the problem:
> A requester which will let the user set the size of a RAM buffer using a
>prop gadget.  What I NEED to do is to to update the amount display as the user
>slides the gadget.   (it looks like this)
> [ pretty picture deleted ]
>What I WANT to do is to update the ___ as the user moves the gadget.  I know I
>can do it using a window instead, then I can print the IText as I go, but I
>already have the requester made up & worked into the code, and it SEEMS there
>should be a way to do it.

	There is.  You want to render directly into the Requester using
PrintIText(), right?  But you need a pointer to a RastPort, right?  Well...
--------
	struct Requester	*req;
	struct RastPort		*rp;

	rp = req -> ReqLayer -> rp;	/*  Ta da!  */
--------
	I got this trick from John Draper (remember him?)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac