[comp.sys.amiga] Transactor confusion?

urjlew@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (10/19/88)

[I apologize for listing AMIGADOS 1.3 in the category of ASDG SDP]
[and sidecar, A2060, ASDG 2001 etc.                              ]
                  now

There has been one article from someone who called Transactor
in Toronto and got an out of bussiness recording, and two
messages (both from Europe) that say they have just received their
Transactor magazines. This raises a couple of questions
1) Did the persons in Europe receive issue 3 of the Amiga Transactor?
rather than issues 1 or 2?
2) Are there two related companies involved? Transactor north america
which is the parent company and has gone broke and Transactor europe
which is solvent?

Could some Toronto area AMIGANs do us a favour by investigating
and posting a report? Rico you know them
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@tucc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@tucc.tucc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-9107

ricom@microsoft.UUCP (Rico Mariani) (10/20/88)

In article <5608@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> urjlew@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:

>There has been one article from someone who called Transactor
>in Toronto and got an out of bussiness recording, and two
>messages (both from Europe) that say they have just received their
>Transactor magazines. This raises a couple of questions
>1) Did the persons in Europe receive issue 3 of the Amiga Transactor?
>rather than issues 1 or 2?
>2) Are there two related companies involved? Transactor north america
>which is the parent company and has gone broke and Transactor europe
>which is solvent?
>
>Could some Toronto area AMIGANs do us a favour by investigating
>and posting a report? Rico you know them

Did I hear my name?

BTW I'm no longer in the Toronto area... I've moved to Seattle...

OK.  Here is the scoop as far as I know it and I don't think that I'm
giving away any big secrets here so here goes.

1)  Transami 3 is finished and ready for publication, at the printers etc.
    This has been the case for some time now.

2)  The publishers are unhappy with Transactor right now and won't
    publish without money up front.

3)  The up front money doesn't exist.

4)  Everyone thinks that the Transactor is still viable.

5)  They want/need to get capital from somewhere to keep printing.
    Maybe a buy out, maybe something else, maybe who knows.
    Anyone wanna invest? :-)

6)  They feel it would be unethical/fraudulent to accept new subscriptions at
    this time.

7)  Speculation:  They don't get anything done with people calling them all day
    about the situation hence the answering machine.

8)  Transactor in Europe etc. do their own printing hence they don't have any
    of these problems.  They are independant companies with some kind of
    agreement for republishing the articles.  I don't know the details and
    they're largely irrelevant.

9)  I hope this all works out because it's a good magazine and it will be
    hard to replace.

	-Rico

utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (10/21/88)

In article <1065@microsoft.UUCP>, ricom@microsoft.UUCP (Rico Mariani) writes:
> 4)  Everyone thinks that the Transactor is still viable.

I hope "everyone" is right; I'm not so sure.

> 5)  They want/need to get capital from somewhere to keep printing.
>     Maybe a buy out, maybe something else, maybe who knows.
>     Anyone wanna invest? :-)

I have an uneasy feeling I sort of already did... :(

> 6)  They feel it would be unethical/fraudulent to accept new subscriptions at
>     this time.

The were pretty responsive cashing my check!  Not long ago either.
And the words "unethical" and "fraudulent" have come to my mind as well.

> 7)  Speculation:  They don't get anything done with people calling them all day
>     about the situation hence the answering machine.

Whew!  I'm glad they got it then.  Now they must be doing wonderful
things again.  Better start looking for ways to increase my shelf space!

> 	-Rico

-Todd

jyegiguere@lotus.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) (10/21/88)

In article <1065@microsoft.UUCP> ricom@microsoft.UUCP (Rico Mariani) writes:

>1)  Transami 3 is finished and ready for publication, at the printers etc.
>    This has been the case for some time now.

Yes, and when I talked to Richard Evers last it seemed like things were
OK...

>2)  The publishers are unhappy with Transactor right now and won't
         ^^^^^^^^^^
>    publish without money up front.
     ^^^^^^^

You mean the printers are unhappy and won't print without money up front...

>8)  Transactor in Europe etc. do their own printing hence they don't have any
>    of these problems.  They are independant companies with some kind of
>    agreement for republishing the articles.  I don't know the details and
>    they're largely irrelevant.

Irrelevant?  Hardly, from this author's point of view.  When I submit an
article to the Transactor, it's on the understanding that I will get paid
for that article.  I don't like the idea of other magazines publishing
my material without the guys in Toronto paying me first.  Either that or
let the other publishers pay me first....  BTW: Can someone who's seen the
UK version of TransAmi tell me if it is indeed #3 and such?  Or are they
still printing some of the older stuff? (i.e., is my article in it?)

>9)  I hope this all works out because it's a good magazine and it will be
>    hard to replace.
>
>	-Rico

I hope so too.  There is NO OTHER magazine with such good techie content
for the Amiga.  All the others remind me of Compuke! with an Amiga bias...
I'll try and get through and see what the situation is like, since I have
a few questions of my own to ask...
Eric Giguere                    268 Phillip St. #CL-46, Waterloo, Ont. N2L 6G9
jyegiguere@lotus.waterloo.edu   (519) 746-0792
GIGUERE@WATCSG.BITNET           "No, that's not how you pronounce it..."

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (10/25/88)

In Message <9237@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, jyegiguere@lotus.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) writes:

>Irrelevant?  Hardly, from this author's point of view.  When I submit an
>article to the Transactor, it's on the understanding that I will get paid
>for that article.  I don't like the idea of other magazines publishing
>my material without the guys in Toronto paying me first.  Either that or
>let the other publishers pay me first....  BTW: Can someone who's seen the
>UK version of TransAmi tell me if it is indeed #3 and such?  Or are they
>still printing some of the older stuff? (i.e., is my article in it?)

  I have a close friend who is also waiting for money from an article that
  was to be published in issue #3. So rather than have everyone ask if their
  article is in or not - why doesn't someone with a copy simply post the
  table of contents. There cant be that many articles and writers names.

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein        {alegra|amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (10/25/88)

In <9237@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, jyegiguere@lotus.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) writes:
>  BTW: Can someone who's seen the UK version of TransAmi tell me if it is
> indeed #3 and such?  Or are they still printing some of the older stuff?
> (i.e., is my article in it?)

It is #3 and yes, your article is in it.

-larry

--
If all the MSDos machines were laid end to end,
  they still wouldn't be as fun as a single Amiga.

ockenden@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Paul T Ockenden) (11/05/88)

In article <3830.AA3830@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>  I have a close friend who is also waiting for money from an article that
>  was to be published in issue #3. So rather than have everyone ask if their
>  article is in or not - why doesn't someone with a copy simply post the
>  table of contents. There cant be that many articles and writers names.

Dan,
	I expect someone else has beaten me to it, but just for the record,
here is the contents list of Transactor 3 as published in the UK.

Fromt cover = "Special late-but-worth-the-wait issue" (their words not mine)
with a picture called "Speed Reader" by Jo-Anne Park.

Inside....

BreakPoint, Part 3			Victor A Wagner
3-D Plotting from Amiga Basic		Anthony Bryant
Ray Tracing Fundamentals		Cathryn Graham
Guardian 1.2				Leonardo Fei
Review : CRP Digitizer			Mike Todd
Review : Prosound Designer		Kevin Miles
The Final ARP.Library Tour		Scott Ballantyne and
					Charlie Heath
The ANSI Standard for C			Eric Giguere
Internationalizing your programs	John Toebes
Survival Guide to the Bridgeboard	Dan Schein (Yup, you made it!)

Letters
Bits
Amiga Dispatches			Don Curtis
ACCESS (PD stuff)			Steve Ahlstrom
The Viewport				Larry Phillips
Review - Manx and SDB			Nick Sullivan
Review - ARexx				Larry Phillips.

All in all, it was quite a good issue (apart from the stuff written in the
UK, and printed out very badly)

Oh, just read through it again, and the following is in the mag, but not in
the contents list...

Facts behind the flashes		Betty Clay

So, a good issue, but with the feel of a newsletter rather than a magazine.

--
Paul Ockenden                          uucp : ....uunet!prlb2!prlhp1!ockenden
Software type person                            ....mcvax!ukc!prlhp1!ockenden