[comp.sys.amiga] CMI 68000

rodmar@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Rodney L Martin) (10/07/88)

I have a couple of simple questions for the CMI 68000 2x

1.  Is there any improvements with the MC68881 installed for general
    computing?  What I mean is, would those programs that don`t directly
    address the MC68881 be any quicker?

2.  Would a MC68010 @ 16 Mhz produce faster processing over the MC68000?

3.  What is the speed increase of the IBM Transformer?  (with and w/o MC68881)

Answers to these questions could sway my desision in purchasing the product.

Thanks....

              Rod

billc@percival.UUCP (William J. Coldwell) (10/09/88)

In article <390@ga.ecn.purdue.edu> rodmar@ga.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Rodney L Martin) writes:
>I have a couple of simple questions for the CMI 68000 2x
>1.  Is there any improvements with the MC68881 installed for general
>    computing?  What I mean is, would those programs that don`t directly
>    address the MC68881 be any quicker?

 No.  The 68881 can only be directly accessed, or through the IEEE libraries
 on the 1.3 Workbench.

>2.  Would a MC68010 @ 16 Mhz produce faster processing over the MC68000?

 Yes, but no one currently makes that, to my knowledge.  It's the same idea
 as replacing your 68000 with a 68010.

>3.  What is the speed increase of the IBM Transformer?  (with and w/o MC68881)

 Transformer is increased a little bit.  I mean, it's already extremely slow,
 and if the guy who does PC-Ditto on the ST would do a port for the Amiga, then
 maybe it would be feasable to use MS-DOS on the Amiga through software. (yes,
 I like run-on sentences...)

>Answers to these questions could sway my desision in purchasing the product.
  don't buy --------> buy.  (did I sway enough? Nah, can't be too commercial
  here... ;-)
>Thanks....
>              Rod

 Your welcome.
 Bill

 (also you might check out a previous message to get information.

--
  William J. Coldwell   Creative Microsystems  "We the unwilling,
Amiga Attitude Adjuster  10110 SW Nimbus  B1    led by the unknowning,

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (10/10/88)

From article <390@ga.ecn.purdue.edu:, by rodmar@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Rodney L Martin):
: I have a couple of simple questions for the CMI 68000 2x
:
: 1.  Is there any improvements with the MC68881 installed for general
:     computing?  What I mean is, would those programs that don`t directly
:     address the MC68881 be any quicker?

	No, the 68881 doesn't do anything for you unless the program has
been written to use the IEEE libraries. You wil also need to have the 1.3
versions of the IEEE libraries on your system disk the first time you run
the program for it to access the math chip. We have a distribution license
from Commodore to send the IEEE libraries out with our utilities disk, but
you'll have to move them over to your workbench.

: 2.  Would a MC68010 @ 16 Mhz produce faster processing over the MC68000?

	Yes it would, slightly. But nobody makes a 16Mhz 68010! If you have
access to a lot of 12Mhz 68010s you might be able to qualify one for use at
14Mhz... Make sure you try it with a heat gun going, you wouldn't want to
choose one that fails after an hour or so of use.

: 3.  What is the speed increase of the IBM Transformer?  (with and w/o MC68881)

	Not a lot, but there's some speed up. Since the PA resets to 7Mhz with
either a cold or warm boot, the regular version of Transformer would only run
at 7Mhz. Phil Staub's PSTranformer front end fixes that. He sets up the system
for the Transformer to run, configuring all the memory and such, and then
starts the AT1 program going without reseting the system. This allows you to
use expansion memory and leave yourself at 14Mhz. I don't have much IBM soft-
ware, but the terminal program I have will run at 1200 baud now...

: Answers to these questions could sway my desision in purchasing the product.

	Well, I'm prejudiced, but I sure hope I've swayed you... :)

:               Rod
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (10/11/88)

Sad to say but I ordered a CMI PA card for the A1000 and it was DOA. I was
really bumed. I need it to help speed up some long animations that I have to
do for a local company. I was talking to a gent that I know in Denver and he
said that his CMI PA for the A1000 was "Brain Damaged" too. Is this a
problem with the A1000 version of the CMI PA?

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (10/13/88)

In article <9941@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Sad to say but I ordered a CMI PA card for the A1000 and it was DOA. I was
>really bumed. I need it to help speed up some long animations that I have to
>do for a local company. I was talking to a gent that I know in Denver and he
>said that his CMI PA for the A1000 was "Brain Damaged" too. Is this a
>problem with the A1000 version of the CMI PA?
> Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

I have had absolutely no problem with my CMI PA in my A1000.  Sorry to hear
yours didn't work.  But the CMI guys are VERY good about helping out with
problems (at either end).  Though the PA doesn't give you the same
performance as an '020, I have noticed a significant improvement in my
animation rendering time.  Compared to many other hardware products we've
seen on the Amiga, the CMI products are very solid and reliable.  And the
products are backed by a friendly group of people who stand behind their
products.  I wish we could say the same thing about ALL Amiga hardware
companies.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Wierd, the Wierd go Professional

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (10/31/88)

In article <9346@watdragon.waterloo.edu> drjerrard@trillium.waterloo.edu (Darren Jerrard) writes:
>I too was interested in purchasing the CMI accellerator.
>However, I came across what seems to be a very annoying bug
>when the accelerator is bumped up to 14MHz.
>When I type to the CLI (~50wpm), the Amiga gets confused and begins
>to repeat my keystrokes (usually between 10 and 30 times!).

My boss had this problem when he first installed his PA in his A2000.  The
problem was fixed by simply removing a jumper (as I recall).  There are
a number of A2000 configurations out there (different keyboards etc.),
and some of them screw up the PA.  However the fix IS simple.  You should
give them a call, they'll fix you up.  Hey Bill, you listening?
--

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (11/06/88)

From article <9346@watdragon.waterloo.edu:, by drjerrard@trillium.waterloo.edu (Darren Jerrard):
: In article <390@ga.ecn.purdue.edu: rodmar@ga.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Rodney L Martin) writes:
:
: I too was interested in purchasing the CMI accellerator.
: However, I came across what seems to be a very annoying bug
: when the accelerator is bumped up to 14MHz.
:
: When I type to the CLI (~50wpm), the Amiga gets confused and begins
: to repeat my keystrokes (usually between 10 and 30 times!).
:
	You've run into the infamous Cherry Keyboard bug. With the old
style Cherry keyboards you just can't run the ROMs (and the associated
keyboard read routines) at 14MHz. The solution is to remove the 'J1'
jumper on your Processor Accelerator. This allows the ROM accesses to
be handled at 7MHz at all times, rather than running them at 14 when
the processor is running at 14.

:
: Also, when activating various CLI's the output gets redirected to
: the newly activated one.
:
	Do you mean while the keyboard is in BOZO mode? (BOZO mode is
a technical term for the problem you were having...) :) That would not
be suprising, since the keyboard is still spitting out all those characters.
If you mean something else, let me know exactly what's happening. I haven't
seen any CLI redirection problems at any speed...
:
: This is the only problem that I saw with the accelerator.
: It worked fine at 7MHz.  The system I was using was a
: 3meg 2000, w/bridgecard, hard drive.
:
: I'm still looking for a good accelerator (with 68881 would be nice).
: Any suggestions will be appreciated.
:
	You might try the Processor Accelerator... Again. It works very
nicely on almost any machine.
: