[comp.sys.amiga] Which blt routine?

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (11/04/88)

    Which blitter routine do the bob routines use for blitting through
a mask into the background?  I thought it was the bltmaskrastport
thingy but I'm told that's a really slow.  I want to do about the same
thing without using bobs and am not sure how to go about getting
the blitter to do an AB | ~BC to C where B is a mask and A is a bitmap
and C is the dest bitmap.

thanx,
--j
--
... {seismo | harvard } ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo
"And when the sky is blue, there'll be no cocktails for you.

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (11/05/88)

In article <1268@astroatc.UUCP>, jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:

>     Which blitter routine do the bob routines use for blitting through
> a mask into the background?  I thought it was the bltmaskrastport

The blitter functions that bobs use are integral to the bob handling
themselves.  They do not call the normally externally accessible
masked blitter ops as you have surmised.  The function qbliti() and/or
qbsblit() are called, the blitter is taken over by the bob function,
and its registers are directly manipulated.  At one time, while at
Amiga, I had looked into the work required to make those functions
externally accessible, but they are very tightly integrated into the
rest of the bob functions and it seemed pretty tough and R.J. was
pretty busy as it was trying to do Intuition (R.J. did the bob/vsprite/
animob system too, prior to doing the initial design and release of
Intuition).

I'd suggest you get the PD BlitLab stuff and see what you can discover
for your own application from that.  It is on a sorta recent FISH disk
and as I remember, it has some relatively-direct-access blitter
functions in source form that might be of help.  BlitLab is a
contribution of Tom Rokiki (see Tom - I spelled it right this time :-))

Rob Peck

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (11/05/88)

>I'd suggest you get the PD BlitLab stuff and see what you can discover
>for your own application from that.  It is on a sorta recent FISH disk
>and as I remember, it has some relatively-direct-access blitter
>functions in source form that might be of help.  BlitLab is a

I'd be happy to mail anyone a copy of BlitLab and associated
documentation.  Please do not send disks.  A coupla bucks to
handle paper, disk, and postage costs would be nice but is
not required . . .

>contribution of Tom Rokiki (see Tom - I spelled it right this time :-))
>Rob Peck

For those not in on the joke, my name is actually spelled
Rokicki.  Think Ro-kick-i, a kick in the middle, y'know?
It's a classic Polish name.  And it's Tomas, not Thomas.

-tom

eric@icus.islp.ny.us (Eric L. Hyman) (11/05/88)

While I can't answer your inital Q: which was which Blt routine
the Bob routines use, I can tell you that no matter which one you
decide to use, it will be SLOW. The one you mentioned is the only
canned routine good enough for cookie cutting, alhtough you can
get the same results with Dual calls to BltBitMap one for the mask
and one for the data. this in itself is pretty slow.
After thrashing my head against the
wall about this for the last year while writing my 3 SSI
conversions, I decided to do something about it for my new Game.
If you would like I can send the the source to A NIce nifty
routine I wrote for Doing Cookie Cut Blits in a single funtion
call with no Tmpras needed....Or if others are interested, I will
posted...(That is if you give me a day to clean it up :) )
...In addition, let me just say that it doesn't become clear how slow
the Stock routines are for "specific" needs untill you write
a less geenral routine yourself and then try it!...My map refreshs
Zoom along now at twice the speed, And the amazing part is Im
Blitting twice the
Data in A Higher Resolution!

--
   Eric Hyman       |             ...att    \
   eric @ icus      |                talcott  !icus!eric
                    |                pacbell /
                    |                sbcs   /

eric@icus.islp.ny.us (Eric L. Hyman) (11/05/88)

Referene
>>WReply-To: eric@icus.DdCP (Eric L. Hyman)

While I can't answer your inital Q: which was which Blt routine
the Bob routines use, I can tell you that no matter which onenyou
decide to use, it will be SLOW. The onenyou mentioned is the only
canned routine good enough for cookie cutting, alhtough you can
get the same results with Dual calls to BltBitMap one for the mask
and onenfor the data. this in itself is pretty slow.
After thrashing my head against the
wall about this for the last year while writing my 3 SSI
conversions, I decided to do something about it for my new Game.
If you would like I can send the the source to A NIce nifty
routine I wrote for Doing Cookie Cut Blits in a single funtion
call with no Tmpras needed....Or if others are interested, I will
posted...(That is if you give me a day to clean it up :) )
...In addition, let me just say that it doesn't become clear how slow
the Stock routines are for "sp'cific" needs untill you write
a less geenral routine yourself and then try it!...My map refreshs
Zoom along now at twice the sp'ed, And the amazing part is Im
Blitting twice the
Data in A Higher Resolution!

--
   Eric Hyman       |             ...att    \
   eric @ icus      |                talcott  !icus!eric

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (11/07/88)

In article <5P5@icus.islp.noles> eric@icus.islp.ny.us (Eric L. Hyman) writes:
>Referene
>If you would like I can send the the source to A NIce nifty
>routine I wrote for Doing Cookie Cut Blits in a single funtion
>call with no Tmpras needed....Or if others are interested, I will
>posted...(That is if you give me a day to clean it up :) )

    Please do!  This is what I've been looking for for quite some time.
I'm also sure I'm not the only one who'd want to look at this!  I tried
e-mailing directly, but it bounced next to immediately. :-<

--j