[comp.sys.amiga] KickFont2, Screenx, Ushar

CJC105@PSUVM.BITNET (10/31/88)

Kickfont2:
  Does anybody know who wrote the KickFont2 program for the amiga?  I would
  like to find if there will be an update for 1.3.  I HATE TOPAZ!!!!  Yuk!
  If not could someone tell me where Kickstart 1.3 stores the fonts?  Kickfont
  replaces the orginal topaz font on the Kickstart disk with a new font.
  (A VERY nice font I might add!)

Ushar and Screenx:
  Is it just my computer or me?  Screenx (the latest version) gives me a
  software error under 1.3 and 1.2.  This evetually leads to a guru after I
  CANCEL it.

  UShar (I found a version on PLINK., the one updated by WECKER)  seems to work
  fine UNTIL it is finishing processing a file.  It says "done" then my machine
  goes GURU!!!  When I reboot the disk does some heavy validating.

  Like I said, Is it just me or has anyone else had problems?  I'm running 1.3
  (but I also tried 1.2).   Im running ARP/CBM commands.

                                                  ---------------------
                                                  Christopher Conrad
                                                  CJC105@psuvm (bitnet)
                                                  ---------------------

In article <59514CJC105@PSUVM> CJC105@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Kickfont2:
>  Does anybody know who wrote the KickFont2 program for the amiga?  I would
>  like to find if there will be an update for 1.3.  I HATE TOPAZ!!!!  Yuk!
>  If not could someone tell me where Kickstart 1.3 stores the fonts?  Kickfont
>  replaces the orginal topaz font on the Kickstart disk with a new font.
>  (A VERY nice font I might add!)

Assuming that the font is in a regular Amiga font file, then the program
"FF" supplied with 1.3 will replace the topaz font with it if you choose.
The command "FF -0 myfont.font" will replace the Topaz 8 and 9 pixel fonts
with 8 and 9 pixel versions from the myfont font. If you have problems with
this you should be aware that some fonts don't have all the bits set correctly
in their structures. The easiest way to correct this is to use the FixFont
program first, an then use the font editor (FED) to read in the font and
then _save_ it out again. That should make it into a completely legal font.

>Ushar and Screenx:
>  UShar (I found a version on PLINK., the one updated by WECKER)  seems to work
>  fine UNTIL it is finishing processing a file.  It says "done" then my machine
>  goes GURU!!!  When I reboot the disk does some heavy validating.

Try setting the stack to 25000. That is what the original SHAR by Wecker
required.

--Chuck McManis

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (11/06/88)

In article <75495@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

> In article <59514CJC105@PSUVM> CJC105@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> >Kickfont2:
> >  Does anybody know who wrote the KickFont2 program for the amiga?  I would
> >  like to find if there will be an update for 1.3.  I HATE TOPAZ!!!!  Yuk!
> >  If not could someone tell me where Kickstart 1.3 stores the fonts?  Kickfont
> >  replaces the orginal topaz font on the Kickstart disk with a new font.
> >  (A VERY nice font I might add!)
>
> Assuming that the font is in a regular Amiga font file, then the program
> "FF" supplied with 1.3 will replace the topaz font with it if you choose.
> The command "FF -0 myfont.font" will replace the Topaz 8 and 9 pixel fonts
> with 8 and 9 pixel versions from the myfont font. If you have problems with
> this you should be aware that some fonts don't have all the bits set correctly
> in their structures. The easiest way to correct this is to use the FixFont
> program first, an then use the font editor (FED) to read in the font and
> then _save_ it out again. That should make it into a completely legal font.
>
> --Chuck McManis

Ugh!  I had almost forgotton how ugly Topaz was!  Anyway...

A look at the doc file that accompanied the KickFont2 archive uncovered the
following:

# KickFont - v2.0 - Greg Browne - FOR ALL THE A-1000 OWNERS who hate TOPAZ.
...docs deleted
#                  GREG BROWNE     [CIS 72250,106]
#                   Alamo FastKODE (505) 437-2280 (3/12/24/96-24 hr)
#                   New Horizons   (505) 437-9117 (3/12/24-7pm/7am)

Now, TYPE OPT Hing the executable shows that buried in the middle is the
text 'nutopaz.font' followed by what looks like the font itself.  I'll bet
that with a little fiddling the .font could be coaxed out, massaged per
Chuck's info, and loaded via FF.

Rick Plavnicky
{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav

As has been discussed on BBS-JC, if you want to coax out the Kickfont2's
fonts, simply fire up FED (aka FontEditor), specify TOPAZ 8 ( and TOPAZ 9),
then save the fonts to files on disk.

Then you can use 1.3's ``FF'' to establish those newly-saved files as your
fonts.

In case this isn't clear:

boot under 1.2, extract out the fonts using FED, save to disk.

boot under 1.3, then specify those saved-font files to ``FF''.

Personally, I think altering the fonts directly on the Kickstart disk is more
fun!  :-)

And I discovered an interesting "trick" that one can exploit if the
Kickstart's checksum is NOT modified:

a three-finger-reset will send you all the way back to the "Insert Kickstart"
prompt.

Think about THAT for a moment.

You can boot up alternate Kickstarts WITHOUT having to power down the machine.

The above works only for the A1000 systems, and exploits the (apparent) fact
the OS doesn't check its checksum on a "cold" boot (from Kickstart disk) but
does checks its checksum on a "warm" boot (CTRL-AMIGA-AMIGA).

No more having to power-down/-up the system (with attendant current surges,
thermal shock, etc.) when one wishes to display the ol' Flying Eagle demo
from 1985 under Kickstart V27  (the 1.3 Kickstart is V34.5)

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (11/07/88)

In article <10986@cup.portal.com> I wrote:

> Ugh!  I had almost forgotton how ugly Topaz was!  Anyway...
 [munch munch - deleted stuff]
> Now, TYPE OPT Hing the executable shows that buried in the middle is the
> text 'nutopaz.font' followed by what looks like the font itself.  I'll bet
> that with a little fiddling the .font could be coaxed out, massaged per
> Chuck's info, and loaded via FF.

Yow!  I must've been in need of my morning coffee or something.

Christopher, cold boot with your modified 1.2 Kickstart and 1.2
Workbench.  Assign fonts: to ram:, then run the 1.3 Font Editor from
the Extras disk.  Load the Topaz/8 font (which was modified by
KickFont2) and Save As some other name.  Copy this font to SYS:fonts on
your 1.3 Workbench, then replace the stock call to FF in your 1.3
startup-sequence with FF -8 yournewfontname.font.  Finally, cold boot
1.3.  That font you liked so much will be back where it belongs - and
in a supported manner, too.

Rick Plavnicky
{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav