[comp.sys.amiga] Fast Fonts won't change fonts as documented

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (11/05/88)

The FastFonts program is supposed to be able to change the default
topaz 8 font with the font of your choice. I tried it with the "pearl"
font, and when that didn't work I tried it with topaz. It consistently
said "font not found". I tried every permutation of "topaz", "topaz 8",
"topaz.font", changing directories to fonts, etc.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Kansas? Where?                    {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (11/05/88)

In article <10523@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>The FastFonts program is supposed to be able to change the default
>topaz 8 font with the font of your choice. I tried it with the "pearl"
>font, and when that didn't work I tried it with topaz. It consistently
>said "font not found". I tried every permutation of "topaz", "topaz 8",
>"topaz.font", changing directories to fonts, etc.
>
>Has anyone gotten this to work?
>
>Sean
I've just completed doing this. Here's how:

1. Copy Pearl directory and Pearl.font to your fonts directory. (I know,
you've already done this).
2. Run FixFonts in the Utilities drawer.
3. Run FED (never thought it was useful, right?) and resave Pearl as an
non-proportional font. I saved it as Fpearl.
4. Run Fixfonts again.
5. Type FF Fpearl.font.    Bam!

Kinda nice, isn't it?

--hal

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (11/05/88)

In article <10523@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
> The FastFonts program is supposed to be able to change the default
> topaz 8 font with the font of your choice. [describes how it didn't work]

> Has anyone gotten this to work?

From my startup-sequence:

	FF >NIL: plastic.font

Plastic is my own san-serif variant of topaz. It's similar to pearl, but has
more space between the letters. Anyway, I'm totally happy with FastFonts just
from this feature alone. Topaz is an aesthetic disaster.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	Disclaimer: I accept full responsibility for my own typos.

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (11/06/88)

In article <10523@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>The FastFonts program is supposed to be able to change the default
>topaz 8 font with the font of your choice. I tried it with the "pearl"
>font, and when that didn't work I tried it with topaz. It consistently
>said "font not found". I tried every permutation of "topaz", "topaz 8",
>"topaz.font", changing directories to fonts, etc.

I had this problem.  When I tried "FF -8 pearl.font" from a virgin
CLI (not the Dillon/Drew shell I _always_ use) I had no problem.  Are
you using such a shell??

The shell program hands the command line to FF in a way that is
different from what FF expects (it adds a <CR> to the command line).

-scott

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/06/88)

In article <2299@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) writes:
> In article <10523@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
> >
> >The FastFonts program is supposed to be able to change the default
> >topaz 8 font with the font of your choice. I tried it with the "pearl"
> >font, and when that didn't work I tried it with topaz. It consistently
> >said "font not found". I tried every permutation of "topaz", "topaz 8",
> >"topaz.font", changing directories to fonts, etc.
>
> I've just completed doing this. Here's how:
>
> 1. Copy Pearl directory and Pearl.font to your fonts directory. (I know,
> you've already done this).
> 2. Run FixFonts in the Utilities drawer.
> 3. Run FED (never thought it was useful, right?) and resave Pearl as an
> non-proportional font. I saved it as Fpearl.
> 4. Run Fixfonts again.
> 5. Type FF Fpearl.font.    Bam!

Something is very bogus with FF and alternate (non-topaz) font replacement.
I tried the above procedure with "paula" (a slightly modified "pearl"), and
sure enough, when I did a "FF paula.font" from the command-line, it worked.

However ... when I put it into my startup-sequence, I'd get the "font not
found" msg as Sean mentions above.  On a hunch, I put the FF command at the
top of the 1.3 "StartupII" script to see if anything would change.  It did.
It installed "paula" just fine (StartupII is "run execute" started, and
"execute" has been "resident'ed").

But ... when I moved the FF command down further in the StartupII file, sure
enough ... "font not found".  Bahhhhh ...!

So ... I've given up on FF, and am happily using BlitzFonts as I have been
for a year-and-a-half, or so.  Much less finicky program, and besides, it
seems somewhat faster than FF (I was going to run a test to see which one
really *is* faster, which is why I was fooling around with FF in the first
place).

BTW, the way I completely rid myself of (yuck) Topaz, is with the following
sequence:

       .
       .
    setfont  paula
    repfont  >nil:  paula.font
       .
       .
    blitzfonts8  >nil: paula
       .
       .

Poof!

"repfont" is a little gem that came across the net (I think) many moons ago.
I don't recall now which, but it either zaps a couple of 5 char strings in
low memory, or just goes sniffing thru memory replacing "topaz" with the 5
chars of your choice (but you'd better have a font with that name in fonts:).
I imagine it'll break when 1.4 rolls around, but by then maybe there will be
a reliable way to specify alternate default fonts.  FF isn't it.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (11/08/88)

In article <10523@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
->
->The FastFonts program is supposed to be able to change the default
->topaz 8 font with the font of your choice. I tried it with the "pearl"
->font, and when that didn't work I tried it with topaz. It consistently
->said "font not found". I tried every permutation of "topaz", "topaz 8",
->"topaz.font", changing directories to fonts, etc.
->
->Has anyone gotten this to work?

I use it all the time.  I didn't like how topaz looked with my
flicker fixer so I made my own font and load it on boot up time
with Fast Fonts.  Are you sure that fonts: points to the right
place?
	When testing my font out, I typed "ff lyle.font" and
"ff topaz.font" from the CLI to switch quickly between them.
Never had a problem.
	Good luck!

IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel       Best way: (314)889-6379
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel