[comp.sys.amiga] Unplugging MIDI interface with power live

ewilts%Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%UNCAEDU.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Ed Wilts, CanadianOxy) (11/10/88)

Bob Page writes:
>Hmm.  I do this all the time, unplugging/plugging my modem and MIDI
>interface (someday I'll get a switcher, really) for over three years
>now and I'm still in business.

You're lucky, Bob.  I did it for about 2 years because I didn't want to
power down just to change from modem to MIDI.  I fried my interface one
day (by Mimetics) and now own a MIDI interface with RS-232 passthrough and
a nice little toggle switch on the front (home-made from the old Amazing
article).  This one's nicer than the Mimetics anyway with multiple ins and
outs.

I suggest that you either get a switcher or replace the MIDI interface with
one that passes through the RS-232 lines and allows you to toggle.
Remember that most MIDI interfaces draw their power from the Amiga.  I guess
I can consider myself lucky that I blew out the interface and not my Amy.

        .../Ed          (ewilts%janus.mrc.adhocnet.ca@uncaedu.bitnet)

Ed Wilts
Sr. Systems Analyst, Canadian Occidental Petroleum Ltd.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada                 (403) 234-1007