[comp.sys.amiga] Transparent / opaque icon backgrounds

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (11/09/88)

Some icons I see require you to click on one of the non-background colours
in order for the click to be registered. Others accept a mouse press anywhere
in the rectangle they define, and when dragged their "background" colour
obscures the screen underneath.

What's different with these two sets of icons? Is it just a flag, something
in the planepick, or something different in the image data itself?

John
--
In the Globe and Mail a few days ago, there was an ad for "dehydrated water",
complete with a price and an address to order it.

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (11/10/88)

In article <4989@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>Some icons I see require you to click on one of the non-background colours
>in order for the click to be registered. Others accept a mouse press anywhere
>in the rectangle they define, and when dragged their "background" colour
>obscures the screen underneath.
>
>What's different with these two sets of icons? Is it just a flag, something
>in the planepick, or something different in the image data itself?
>
>John

The difference you are seeing is related to the highlighting methods used
by the respective icons.  The icon editor allows you to specify backfill or
complemented highlighting.  Backfill only affects the icon in areas where
it contains non-background information.  Complement just inverses the whole
"select box" of that icon.  For reasons that escape me, it was decided that
the same information would be used for determining the "active" areas of an
icon too.

	Steve

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (11/10/88)

In article <4989@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>Some icons I see require you to click on one of the non-background colours
>in order for the click to be registered. Others accept a mouse press anywhere
>in the rectangle they define, and when dragged their "background" colour
>obscures the screen underneath.
>
>What's different with these two sets of icons? Is it just a flag, something
>in the planepick, or something different in the image data itself?

Those icons saved by IconEd with HiLite = Inverse accept a mouse press
anywhere in the rectangle, those saved with HiLite = Backfill do not
(HiLite is one of IconEd's menus).
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100