[comp.sys.amiga] Cable for a NEC MultiSync

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (10/25/88)

I'm posting this message for: Tom Claydon ASTLC@ALASKA.BITNET

I am hooking up an NEC MultiSync monitor to the 23-pin video port on my Amiga
500. I am wondering:

1. What the pin addresses are coming out of the MultiSync;
   and does anybody know if the Interlaced mode will
   damage my MultiSync's internal circuitry?
Tom
ASTLC

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/04/88)

From article <5004@louie.udel.EDU>, by AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey):
> 1. What the pin addresses are coming out of the MultiSync;
>    and does anybody know if the Interlaced mode will
>    damage my MultiSync's internal circuitry?

The pinouts for the NEC JC-1401P3A video connector (DB9) in analog mode
are:

1	Red
2	Green or Green & composite sync
3	Blue
4	H sync or composite sync
5	V sync
6-9	Ground

This is with the MANUAL switch set to ON, and the TTL/ANALOG switch set
to ANALOG.

This is the original NEC Multisync, the newer models may be different.

Interlace will not smoke the monitor, but this model does NOT display
interlace correctly. Instead of offsetting each frame one scan line (for
odd and even frames), both frames are displayed on the same set of scan
lines. If you think interlace looks bad, you ain't seen nothing yet!
Anything smaller than 2 scanlines high gets overwritten by the
contrasting image in the other frame.

I've heard that the new NEC Multisyncs do work with interlace, but
haven't seen one myself.

I did find a very satisfying (and expensive) solution: MicroWay's
flickerFixer.  (This defect in the NEC was the excuse I needed to justify
the flickerFixer. :-)

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

childs@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (David W. Childs) (11/08/88)

.
.
>Interlace will not smoke the monitor, but this model does NOT display
>interlace correctly. Instead of offsetting each frame one scan line (for
>odd and even frames), both frames are displayed on the same set of scan
>lines. If you think interlace looks bad, you ain't seen nothing yet!
>Anything smaller than 2 scanlines high gets overwritten by the
>contrasting image in the other frame.
>
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
>There: uunet!iconsys!caeco!pedro!worsel!blaine

That's funny.  My original NEC Multisync works great in interlace.  I don't
remember exactly, but it may have just taken an adjustment on the little
nobs on the top of the monitor.   I got it about 2.5 years ago, and have not
had a single problem with it.  It even lets me adjust Vertical/Horizontal
position, and Vertical size.  I have been running workbench in interlace
for about 1.5 years, and it always shocks me when I boot an old disk
with a non-interlace screen.

I do remember some sort of problem with the monitor when I got it, but
I think that was just the black space between lines while in non-interlace.

Now, I did have a problem when I hooked a genlock 1300 up to my system.
It looked as though it was doing what Blaine described above.  (That was
my explanation to the dealer at least.)  I took it back and havn't tried
any other genlocks.  The dealer I purchased it from was the best I've ever
been to.  They are a mail order house also, and they took it back with no
problems, and their prices were slightly higher than the best mail order
prices I've seen, but you get dealer support.  I got my 2M expansion from
them for $425.  :-)  (I am happy with my 2.5M total.)  I did pay too much
for my Supra 20M disk, but I got it early.  I guess it all equals out.

I am getting a Lucas Board RSN.  I already sent my money.  Just so I know,
is the 030 plug compatible with the 020?  What about the 882 vs 881?  I
have had some problem with my setup, so I hope Lucas doesn't break my power
supply.  I want about 2-4M of 32 bit wide ram.

I just got off the phone with someone who has a 68020/68881/68851 @ 16MHz,
6286 4k words/32 bit wide static ram @ 35ns, 145040 AtoD w/external clock
145041 DtoA w/external clock, all technical manuals, engineering bulitons,
brocheres, etc package for the low low price of $329.50.  You can save $20
per, in orders of 5 or more.  Probably not worth the hassle of a huge order
for multiple people.

Probably every distributer has this deal, but out of two
that I talked to, Hamilton Avnet knew of the deal, Wyle didn't.  You may
actually have to have an account with them to get this offer.  I'm not
sure I want to order many copies and then hope to actually have people
buy them off of me, but I will consider if a good payment sceme is
devised.

Is there room on the lucas board to add a cashe?  This is something I know
how to do.  (Hey, maybe my education will pay off.)  Actually, I could add
it to my 32 bit wide ram daughter board.  Yeh, that's the ticket.

David Childs 818 356-6790 work:

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/10/88)

From article <8529@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, by childs@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (David W. Childs):
> In article <1050@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>(Blaine talking about his NEC Multisync.)

>>Interlace will not smoke the monitor, but this model does NOT display
>>interlace correctly. Instead of offsetting each frame one scan line (for
>>odd and even frames), both frames are displayed on the same set of scan
>>lines. If you think interlace looks bad, you ain't seen nothing yet!
>>Anything smaller than 2 scanlines high gets overwritten by the
>>contrasting image in the other frame.

> That's funny.  My original NEC Multisync works great in interlace.  I don't
> remember exactly, but it may have just taken an adjustment on the little
> nobs on the top of the monitor.   I got it about 2.5 years ago, and have not
> had a single problem with it.  It even lets me adjust Vertical/Horizontal
> position, and Vertical size.

Hmmm, when I asked about this interlace problem on the net about 4
months ago, I got several replys that said the newer NEC Multisyncs work
fine with interlace, and several that said the original simply would NOT
work in interlace. One response was from someone involved in broadcast
work, so the interlace fault was real problem for him. The best guess I
hear on WHY it screws up on interlace was the guess that it resyncs on
every vertical interval, and throws away the odd-even information.

The top adjustments had no effect on the problem at all, and nobody knew
of an internal adjustment.

One big flaw in the NEC is the lack of a horizontal width adjustment.
You get a switch that makes a truly trivial difference in with, but
there is no externally accessable pot. With the flickerFixer I've got
a 704x470 screen, but there is a 3/4" black border on each side. There
is no way to expand the image, and all circles get displayed as rather
narrow ovals. I'm about ready to tear the cover off, and start looking
around for a width adjustment.

Does anyone know how easy/expensive it is to get a tech manual from NEC?

Has anyone tried hooking the Amiga and flickerFixer video outputs into a
switchbox? I've seen some DB-9 switchboxes, and there are times I'd like
to switch back to the Amiga's video (read: GAMES) to avoid the
flickerFixer's image breakup.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
There: uunet!iconsys!caeco!pedro!worsel!blaine (under construction)
"Nobody will ever need more than 64K."    "Nobody needs multitasking on a PC."