[comp.sys.amiga] Lazy rats

schabacker@frambo.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) (11/03/88)

How many of you folks have ever showed your appreciation for a
certain Freeware/PD program by telling the author that you liked it?
Or made suggestions, or showed in some other way that you use and
like this software.
Especially in the case of utilities you use daily?
And why the heck is that braindead guy asking these questions?

Well, because as far as I can see TurboBackup 2.0 will never be
finished, released, at least not to the Public Domain. And this due
to the fact that the authors received less than five (count 'em)
comments or requests concerning their program.

I can say for my person (and to some extent for the whole Software
Brewery) that only feedback (of any flavour) keeps me producing PD
software (Thanks Kim, Lionel, et al). If I should ever get the
feeling that I'm only doing this for a faceless, greedy mass that
can't or won't say even thanks, I'd quit.

Is it really asking too much to say Hi to the folks whose pretty
little gems your using every day?
I for sure always try to do so.

Think about it...

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > decwrl!frambo.dec.com!schabacker OR schabacker@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  CIS: 71001,210 (be brief!), Phone: +49 6150 4151
------------ Snail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.
"The calls of the machine, drowning in the steam..."
	From the song "P-Machinery" by Propaganda

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (11/04/88)

TurboBackup 2.0 is a very useful piece of software, and I wrote
the `Software Brewery' a long letter thanking them and telling
them features I'd like in a next release---it was this program
that caused me to stop working on dfc.  It's too bad we won't
see a new version . . .

So at least you can tell us; how do you do simultaneous writes
to all the floppies?  Via trackdisk.device, or do you `emulate'
it with tons of your own code?  At least I can put some of the
features into dfc . . .

-tom

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/06/88)

From article <4835@polya.Stanford.EDU>, by rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki):

> TurboBackup 2.0 is a very useful piece of software, and I wrote
> the `Software Brewery' a long letter thanking them and telling
> them features I'd like in a next release---it was this program
> that caused me to stop working on dfc.  It's too bad we won't
> see a new version . . .

Funny, I passed up TurboBackup for DFC. TurboBackup seemed nice enough,
but I dislike large, flashy programs that do small things. I much prefer
DFC's tiny little window to TurboBackup's huge one. A diskcopy is not
something terribly exciting, and I'd just as soon get it started, and
out of my way, so I can go on to other work.

Am I the only one that prefers function over flash? I'm tired of 8 and
16 color terminal programs, I just want something that works, and uses
as little of my precious Chip RAM as possible.

Anyway, back to shareware. The biggest problem I have with it is
remembering to do something about the nice stuff. It takes a while to
see if something is going to be useful enough to keep it around, or
worth the trouble of replacing the programs I'm used to. By the time
I've decided I can't live without it, I've come to take it for granted,
and sending off a thank you or a check slips my mind.

Nothing evil here, just human nature working.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh Gamble) (11/07/88)

I'm in need of a good backup utility to make it as little pain as possible
to back up 80M to a single floppy drive.  I used an old version of MR Backup
once, but mostly I've been feeling lucky & not doing backups :^(

I've got millions of $ to spend on a commercial program, but would
be more than happy to use a PD or shareware one if it were as good
or better than the commercial ones.

I've been meaning to get a copy of the latest version of MR Backup
and use it, but maybe this is a good time to call for recommendations
via e-mail & post a summary if warranted.  How do MR Backup,
Turbobackup, Quarterback, Saf-T-Net & anything else compare?

If turbobackup is as good as MR Backup & either is as fast as any good
(reliable & flexible) commercial one, I'll settle on that as my
backup utility with much appreciation to the author(s).

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (11/08/88)

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh Gamble) wrote:
>I've got millions of $ to spend on a commercial [backup] program

For that amount, get a few large hard disks and do backups to them.
You can use Bernoulli Boxes with the new CLtd software.

I've never heard of TurboBackup.  Was I sleeping?  I agree with the
function vs flash comment (gimme function).

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (11/08/88)

>hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh Gamble) wrote:
>>I've got millions of $ to spend on a commercial [backup] program
>From: page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page)
>For that amount, get a few large hard disks and do backups to them.
>You can use Bernoulli Boxes with the new CLtd software.

	Ahhh..  yah, buy a Bernoulli Box and then back up your HD using
the revised backup/restore program just posted to the moderators (written by
moi, of course!)

				-Matt

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh Gamble) (11/10/88)

> >From: page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page)
> >For that amount, get a few large hard disks and do backups to them.
> >You can use Bernoulli Boxes with the new CLtd software.
>
> 	Ahhh..  yah, buy a Bernoulli Box and then back up your HD using
> the revised backup/restore program just posted to the moderators (written by
> moi, of course!)
>
> 				-Matt
Bernoulis are getting very nice these days.  The bernouli drives &
interfaces Comspec sells for the Amy are *way* faster than the
ancient 8" ones I got for one of my PCs at work.  I think Comspec
has had theirs out longer than CLtd.

I wouldn't get enough use out of one on my Amy to justify it right
now though, besides I really aught to be saving up all my money
to buy a girlfriend :^)

--

devin@topologix.topologix.com (Devin Hooker) (11/10/88)

In article <8811031412.AA14506@decwrl.dec.com> schabacker@frambo.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) writes:
<
[...]

	Hey, don't assume that everyone out there is a jerk.  At this point
I have used two different pieces of PD software, I have written both the
authors with complements.  I have several more on my Unix machine at work
waiting to be downloaded, if they are worthwile, the author(s) will get
compliments from me.  Jeez.

			-Devin
--
Devin Hooker
Software Engineer

schabacker@frambo.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) (11/12/88)

First a thanks to all who responded to my initial posting.
A really interesting tidbit seems to be the fact that you can post
endless technical informations and questions which will get you one
or none response, while "emotional" postings like my original "Lazy
rats" gets you >10 responses ('till now). Strange... :-)

Let me put the following things straight:

1. This posting wasn't a plea for complements for our software, it
was a plea for COMMENTS on TurboBackup.

2. TurboBackup was NOT programmed by the Software Brewery, although
I've been a beta tester and am a friend of one of the authors.

3. We're NOT the Software Distillery (hi John:-), which is lead by
John Toebes (of Lattice C 4.00 and Hack fame).

Thanks again, and hopefully your responses will push the authors
to finish TurboBackup 2.0.

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > decwrl!frambo.dec.com!schabacker OR schabacker@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  CIS: 71001,210 (be brief!), Phone: +49 6150 4151
------------ Snail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.
Try to have fun with Bush for the next four years, god bless you all :-)