[comp.sys.amiga] Format "Inhibit" option?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/08/88)

As far as I can see, the INHIBIT option of the 1.3 Format command is not
documented in the 1.3 manual. What does this option do?

Thanks to whoever added the QUICK option, that's a nice addition.

While I'm asking questions about Format, how about one more? I've heard
about (but never been exposed to) hard drive formatting on the IBMs. How
does the Amiga get away with a single level of formatting, when I hear
of two or three formats that must be done on the PCLones? Does the
A2090A's Prep command perform some of this magic? Or could you
concievably be forced to format your new hard drive on an IBM before the
AmigaDOS format command could touch it?

(A thousand pardons if you've seen this message before, but I posted
about the time that virus was storming the net, and I don't think it got
out.)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (11/09/88)

:While I'm asking questions about Format, how about one more? I've heard
:about (but never been exposed to) hard drive formatting on the IBMs. How
:of two or three formats that must be done on the PCLones? Does the
:A2090A's Prep command perform some of this magic? Or could you
:concievably be forced to format your new hard drive on an IBM before the
:AmigaDOS format command could touch it?

	Nah, it's about the same.  For both machines you have to

	(1) Low level format (Amiga Prep/equivalent, IBM FDisk)
	(2) Determine how to partition it (I like the Amiga-way better)
	(3) Format it for the filesystem (Amiga Format, IBM Format)

			-Matt

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/10/88)

In article <1064@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>As far as I can see, the INHIBIT option of the 1.3 Format command is not
>documented in the 1.3 manual. What does this option do?

INHIBIT inhibits the drive before it asks you to put the
disk you want to format into the drive.  (rather than after).  This
option is only available from CLI (since it would drive Workbench
up the wall) and is used to format those disks that would otherwise
cause DOS to display a 'DISK CORRUPT' requester (or other requester)
when you insert the disk into the drive.

>Thanks to whoever added the QUICK option, that's a nice addition.

You're welcome.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (11/12/88)

From article <1064@esunix.UUCP:, by blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner):
: As far as I can see, the INHIBIT option of the 1.3 Format command is not
: documented in the 1.3 manual. What does this option do?
:
	The INHIBIT option is used to inhibit the validate and diskchange.
Use it for pretty much all CLI type formats... They had to put this in
because they were using the same format code for both workbench and CLI.
You couldn't have the drive INHIBITed from workbench if you were doing a
single drive format.

: While I'm asking questions about Format, how about one more? I've heard
: about (but never been exposed to) hard drive formatting on the IBMs. How
: does the Amiga get away with a single level of formatting, when I hear
: of two or three formats that must be done on the PCLones? Does the
: A2090A's Prep command perform some of this magic? Or could you
: concievably be forced to format your new hard drive on an IBM before the
: AmigaDOS format command could touch it?

	You could concievably be forced to format your drive on a PC before
using with the 2090... But all drives that I'm aware of come pre-formatted.
The only time you would need to do this on a 2090 would be if you hooked up
one of the ST-506-->SCSI cards to a drive. Luckely, pretty much all the other
HD interface people included some sort of low level format routine. (I like
the Supra one the best, but then I'm prejudiced..)

: --
: Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
: Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
: There: uunet!iconsys!caeco!pedro!worsel!blaine (under construction)
: "Nobody will ever need more than 64K."    "Nobody needs multitasking on a PC."
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey