[comp.sys.amiga] Write IBM 3.5 ?

ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/05/88)

Anyone know of a piece of software that will allow the
Amiga to write/format/read IBM 3.5 inch disks ?

Can this be done ?

Am I crazy for even asking ?

Eric W Sink
ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (11/10/88)

ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Anyone know of a piece of software that will allow the
>Amiga to write/format/read IBM 3.5 inch disks ?
>
>Can this be done ?
>
>Am I crazy for even asking ?
>
>Eric W Sink
>ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Assuming you don't have a 2000+Bridgecard (or you wouldn't be askin'
this question anyway prolly... :-)

Three ways I know of to do what you want:

1) Amiga Transformer, a software program sold by Commodore. Turns your
   Amiga into a green-screen, no-mouse, no-color, no-sound rather slow
   MS-DOS emulating computer.  You need to own MS-DOS as well.  With
   Transformer you can not only read/write/format PC-3.5" disks but you
   can actually run PC/MS-DOS software. Again, it's slow, but it works.
   usually.

2) Dos2Dos, a software program sold by Central Coast Software. Runs under
   the native Amiga mode as a "shell."  Format MS Dos or Atari ST format
   3.5" disks, copy files to them, copy files from them, or read ASCII
   files on them. Dos2Dos is NOT an "emulator" like Transformer is.

3) PC-Utils, a couple software programs on the "Extras" disks found in
   the Commodore-sold 1.2 and 1.3 AmigaDos Enhancer packages.  As they
   come out of the box, PC-Utils require you to have a 5.25" Amiga/MS Dos

   drive connected. However there exists an ARC file with a couple of
   nifty programs called "PcC3.5" and "PcF3.5" (C = "copy", F = "format")
   which will force the PC-Utils program to work with your normal
   Amiga 3.5" drives.   We have this ARC file in the AmigaZone on Plink
   and you can probably source it elsewhere.  Apologies for not knowing
   the author's name... I have the docs around here somewhere in this
   mess...

By this time there may very well be other ways to do these things but
these are the only three of which I'm aware.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

rpa@ukc.ac.uk (R.P.Almeida) (11/12/88)

In article <8596@gryphon.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
:-
:-3) PC-Utils, a couple software programs on the "Extras" disks found in
:-
:-   drive connected. However there exists an ARC file with a couple of
:-   nifty programs called "PcC3.5" and "PcF3.5" (C = "copy", F = "format")
:-   which will force the PC-Utils program to work with your normal
:-   Amiga 3.5" drives.   We have this ARC file in the AmigaZone on Plink
:-   and you can probably source it elsewhere.  Apologies for not knowing
:-   the author's name... I have the docs around here somewhere in this
:-   mess...

 Any chance of posting this ARC file, I'm sure a lot of people would find
it very useful.
 And those of us in the United Kingdom who cant afford to login across
continents to Plink would also be happy.

 If not, could you email me it, then any one in the UK who wants it can
email me.

	Thanks.
		Richard Almeida.