[comp.sys.amiga] Transformer questions

childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) (10/15/87)

Hi,

I just got a 5.25" disk drive and Transformer 1.2.  I have some questions that
I hope someone out there can help me with.  First, does the Transformer work
with disks other that 360k format?  For example 720k or hard drives?  Does the
Transformer have any kind of documentation available?  I got my disk drive as
a demo unit, and got Transformer on a disk with it.  I also got a owners
registration card, but no other documentation.  Can anyone help?  Do programs
like Microsoft Word work on it?  Is there any form of mouse input?

I really like the Transformer, because I always thought the best computer would
be one that can run several different computers software.  I hope the creators
of the Transformer can be swayed to improve their product.  It is a bit slow,
but it's really amazing.

Thanks for any help,

David Childs  Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075
childs@cadnetix.UUCP  seismo!hao!ico!cadnetix!childs

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (10/16/87)

in article <950@cadnetix.UUCP>, childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) says:
> Hi,
> I just got a 5.25" disk drive and Transformer 1.2.  I have some questions that
> I hope someone out there can help me with.

Fire away.

> First, does the Transformer work
> with disks other that 360k format?  For example 720k or hard drives?

No.

> Does the
> Transformer have any kind of documentation available?

Yes, there's a manual.

> I got my disk drive as
> a demo unit, and got Transformer on a disk with it.  I also got a owners
> registration card, but no other documentation.  Can anyone help?

Ask the dealer for it.

> Do programs like Microsoft Word work on it?

I don't know what Word assumes about the display.  Remember Transformer
does Mono Text ONLY.

> Is there any form of mouse input?

No.

> I really like the Transformer, because I always thought the best
> computer would
> be one that can run several different computers software.
> I hope the creators
> of the Transformer can be swayed to improve their product.

We don't expect major revisions to Transformer.  Our direction is
more toward hardware emulation.  Transformer has its place as a low
cost PC compatibility option for occasional use.  The 5.25" drive (A1020)
is useful as a means of transferring files between AmigaDOS and MS-DOS,
in addition to running the Transformer.

> It is a bit slow,
> but it's really amazing.

My sentiments exactly.

> Thanks for any help,
> David Childs  Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075
> childs@cadnetix.UUCP  seismo!hao!ico!cadnetix!childs

	Paul.

hansb@ariel.unm.edu (Hans Bechtel) (10/17/87)

The Transformer DOES work with 720k!!!

you have to have 3.2 dos transfered over to 3 1/2 and
change the config.sys file so it has something like
d/1/2 in it (I am not quite sure of the specifics --- you may have to
look at a manual...)
My current transformer formats df1: as a 720k disk and can read and write
it, and dos2dos also can read and write it.

hope that helps!

Hans Bechtel

hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (10/18/87)

childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I just got a 5.25" disk drive and Transformer 1.2.  I have some questions that
>I hope someone out there can help me with.  First, does the Transformer work
>with disks other that 360k format?  For example 720k or hard drives?  Does the
>Transformer have any kind of documentation available?  I got my disk drive as
>a demo unit, and got Transformer on a disk with it.  I also got a owners
>registration card, but no other documentation.  Can anyone help?  Do programs
>like Microsoft Word work on it?  Is there any form of mouse input?
>
>I really like the Transformer, because I always thought the best computer would
>be one that can run several different computers software.  I hope the creators
>of the Transformer can be swayed to improve their product.  It is a bit slow,
>but it's really amazing.
>
>Thanks for any help,
>
>David Childs  Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075
>childs@cadnetix.UUCP  seismo!hao!ico!cadnetix!childs

You can format 3.5" disks as 720K MS-Dos format using the Transformer,
yes, but you'll need MS-Dos..uh...... 3.2 or higher (I think, maybe 3.1
at the lowest). You need to set up a config.sys file to create virtual drives
(usually C: and D:).  See a good MS-Dos manual on instructions how to do
this.

Yes, Transformer comes with a manual. Most of it you should be able to
figure out. The settings you put into "SetATPrefs" are particular
important as far as how the Transformer environment will work with your
hardware.

Yes, it's slow. There are some minimal speedup routines available on
BBS's and networks. One is called 'SPEEDY3.COM' which gives a screen
speed up when working with DOS (doing Dirs and such) but rarely has much
of an effect on applications software.

I've run MS Dos 3.2 and 3.3 under Transformer and passed them through
Norton Utilities' "SI" test which compares the overall performance
against a rock stock IBM PC, which measures 1.0 on the scale. Transformer
gives me 0.2, a 286 AT-type machine usually delivers a 10.0... so
yes, Transformer is very slow. It supports no sound, no color graphics
or hi-res graphics modes, etc. Just yer basic Green screen monochrome
environment.  I've run over 100 different MS-Dos application programs
under Transformer - the list supplied by CBM with the documentation is
rather short sighted. MUCH more stuff will run than what they listed,
however some software, such as WordStar (any version) will be virtually
useless since it will run so abysmally slow.

Transformer gives you access to the Amiga's Parallel port (as LPT1:)
and Serial port (as COM1:) so your printer and modem will still function
rather normally while using MS-Dos based software, however your mouse
will be a useless appendage when the screen is green.

There's a Transformer version 1.2 out there somewhere which due to some
(rumored) legal hassles, CBM has not yet released. Dunno if they ever
will either. From what I understand, it's not any faster than the
release Transformer anyway, but just modified to work with FAST RAM boards
attached and under Enhancer 1.2 system software.

Also on BBS's and networks (such as PeopleLink) there is a hot "patch"
program for Transformer to allow you to use it under 1.2.

Transformer is a pretty amazing piece of software. I use it all the time
so I can do PC type work at home, move it to a 5.25" disk, and then take
it to an office and mount it on someone's "real" PC - sure beats sitting
in an office all day doing the work!

Harv Laser
PeopleLink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM

whorfin@pixar.UUCP (Rick Sayre) (10/18/87)

In article <2528@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) writes:
>in article <950@cadnetix.UUCP>, childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) says:
>> First, does the Transformer work
>> with disks other that 360k format?  For example 720k or hard drives?
>
>No.
Sure it does, for 3-1/2 disks, at least.  Find yourself a DOS that supports
double-sided 3-1/2 disks (I used the DOS from a Data General laptop).  Works
just great...purty damn good emulation.

                                ____
                               (_  _) ()
                                 ||   ||
                             **********|
                            | | \__/ |**
                            | |      |
                            | |      |
                            |  ******
                            ( /  ||  \
                              |**||**|
                              \  /\  /
                               **  **
                              ********

WARNING - I've only tried this with the older Transformer, and the disk
would occasionally crash when things got full.  No idea if this was the
Transformer, the DG's DOS, or what...I just stopped using MessyDOS. :)
--
   	Rick Sayre				     "Use more honey;
       	   {sun|ucbvax}!pixar!whorfin	              find out what she knows"

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (10/19/87)

in article <1667@charon.unm.edu>, hansb@ariel.unm.edu (Hans Bechtel) says:
> The Transformer DOES work with 720k!!!

My apologies re: my erroneous statement that it didn't work.  I think the
original question was more general about "other formats" and I was
thinking about the 1.2Mb AT format I think.

Anyway, glad the net voyeurs are watching out for me, :-)

	Paul.

bob@uel (Bob Duncanson) (10/23/87)

in article <2528@cbmvax.UUCP> Paul Higgenbottom replies:
> in article <950@cadnetix.UUCP>, childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) says:

> > I just got a 5.25" disk drive and Transformer 1.2.  I have some questions that
> > Does the
> > Transformer have any kind of documentation available?
>
> Yes, there's a manual.
>
> > I also got a owners
> > registration card, but no other documentation.  Can anyone help?
>
> Ask the dealer for it.

I got mine (Transformer and 1020) with sketchy preliminary Beta
"Dealers Demo" Documentation in early 1986.
That dealer doesn't carry Amiga anymore.  (just PC's and Macs now)
And I have moved 4000 miles away.
How can I get a proper Transformer manual ???
--
Bob Duncanson
AT&T Unix Europe Limited	uucp Europe:	mcvax!ukc!uel!bob

TSI@cup.portal.com (02/25/88)

I am sure these were covered months ago so sorry about brining it up
again:

1: Is there any way to get Transformer to work with AmigaDOS 1.2 with auto-
config memory?

2: Is there a new release of transformer?

3: Is it possable to format 3.5" disks to 720K using DOS 3.2?

4: Is there a PC terminal that will work under Transformer?

5: Will PKARC work?

Thanks, David

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (02/29/88)

In article <3478@cup.portal.com> TSI@cup.portal.com writes:

>I am sure these were covered months ago so sorry about brining it up
>again:
>
>1: Is there any way to get Transformer to work with AmigaDOS 1.2 with auto-
>config memory?

    There was/is a few PD patch's to make this happen.

>2: Is there a new release of transformer?

    Yes, and it runs under 1.2 and uses auto-config memory. Stop by your
    local dealer for the details. (You wont be sorry)

>3: Is it possable to format 3.5" disks to 720K using DOS 3.2?

    Sure is. Read up on "Driver.sys" & "Driveparm".

    I used a ShareWare program called ProCOMM, and it worked ok @ 3/1200 baud.

>5: Will PKARC work?

    What is PKARC ?!?

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/01/88)

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>In article <3478@cup.portal.com> TSI@cup.portal.com writes:
>
>>5: Will PKARC work?
>>
>    What is PKARC ?!?

Yo Dan! Looky here:

PKAX    FAST!    Archive Extract Utility    Version 1.0    12-08-87
Copyright (c) 1987, PKWARE Inc.  All rights reserved.  PKAX -h for help.

Extracts files from an archive to their original name, size, time, & date.

Usage: PKAX [options] archive [file...]
Options are:
   -r = replace existing files     -v = verbose listing of archive(s)
   -c = extract file(s) to screen  -p = extract file(s) to printer
   -t = test archive integrity     -l = display software license
-e,-x = extract file(s)

archive Archive file name, wildcards *,? ok.  Default extension is .ARC
file    Names of files to extract.  Wildcards *,? ok.  Default is ALL files.

If you find PKAX fast, easy, and convenient to use, a registration of $25
would be appreciated.  With each registration of $50 or more you will be
registered to receive a diskette with the next version of PKAX & PKARC
when available.  PLEASE state the current version of the software which
you have.  Send contributions to:       PKWARE, Inc.
                                        7032 Ardara Avenue
                                        Glendale, WI 53209
------
The IBM boys have had PKARC for a while. It has an additional 'squashing'
compression algorithm we Amigoids don't have in AmigArc0.23.  But we
do have PKAX from PKWARE to de-ARC both ARC'd files built on the Amiga
with AmigARC and ARC files built on a PeeCee with PKARC.

Are you confused yet? :-)

Now...back to the Transformer... I've tried and pretty much given up
trying to use ARC when running MS Dos under Transformer. It works okay
for smallish files but barfs on bigger ones.  A better solution would
be to get something like Central Coast's Dos2Dos and move the PeeCee
files over to an Amiga Disk or RAMdisk and then AmigARC them there.
I've done this plenty of times with complete success.

Meanwhile, the plot thickens.  While we wait for PKWARE to release
PKARC for the Amiga, Mark Riley is bashing away on PAK 1.1 trying to
get it to compress files down smaller than ARC does.  He says he's got
it doing exactly that on most types of files except IFF pictures.
When he's happy with what he can make it do, he'll release it. PAK
is shareware too.

Harv Laser, Sysop, the People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink ID: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
"The man in the crowd with the multicolored mirrors on his hobnail boots"

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/03/88)

In article <2749@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>>In article <3478@cup.portal.com> TSI@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>>>5: Will PKARC work?
>>>
>>    What is PKARC ?!?
>>

>Yo Dan! Looky here:
>

>PKAX    FAST!    Archive Extract Utility    Version 1.0    12-08-87
>Copyright (c) 1987, PKWARE Inc.  All rights reserved.  PKAX -h for help.

   [PKAX Instructions deleted]

>The IBM boys have had PKARC for a while. It has an additional 'squashing'
>compression algorithm we Amigoids don't have in AmigArc0.23.  But we
>do have PKAX from PKWARE to de-ARC both ARC'd files built on the Amiga
>with AmigARC and ARC files built on a PeeCee with PKARC.
>
>Are you confused yet? :-)

   It takes more than that to confuse me, huh what? Seriously though, since
   im not a big MS-DOS user, I appreciate the information. Thanx!

>Harv Laser, Sysop, the People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink ID: CBM*HARV
 ^^^^ ^^^^^
 Hmmmm..... Ive heard that name before. Now where was it...... Oh yea - on the

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net
   1200 Wilson Drive			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS
   West Chester PA 19380		phone: (215) 431-9100	   ext. 9542
   All spelling mistakes are a result of my efforts to avoid education  :-)
        I help Commodore by supporting the AMIGA. Commodore supports
         me by allowing me to form my own suggestions and comments.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (03/05/88)

Since I dutifully sent in my warranty card when I bought my 5-1/4 "
drive and Transformer software a couple of years ago, does this
imply that some ugrade (not free of charge, of course) will be
offered for the WB 1.2 version of transformer?

Might I just as well bag that thought and just up and buy the new
version at my friendly local dealer?

--Bill

TSI@cup.portal.com (03/05/88)

Dan,

I am very surprised to hear that there is an official update for
Transformer. Since I don't seem to have a dealer within stopping by
distance can you elaborate?

Is there an update path for owners of the original?

David

TSI@cup.portal.com (03/05/88)

Harv,

I was trying one of the PK self-unarcing files and it seems to just
hang the system. I guess there is nothing to be done about that.

BTW, You mentioned DOS2DOS. What is the advantage of it over the
PC copy utility from the Extras disk. I just started playing with
the thing a couple of weeks ago but it seems to work ok.

David

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (03/07/88)

    The main advantages of using Dos-2-Dos over the PC Utils supplied on the
Extras disk are:

    1) You don't need a 5.25" drive to use Dos-2-Dos.
    2) You can use wildcards to copy groups of files
    3) If you get some pics that happen to be on an Atari ST disk you can copy
       them over to AmigaDOS or vice versa.

                                                           ...Art

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/09/88)

In article <1038@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Since I dutifully sent in my warranty card when I bought my 5-1/4 "
>drive and Transformer software a couple of years ago, does this
>imply that some ugrade (not free of charge, of course) will be
>offered for the WB 1.2 version of transformer?

  Upgrade cards were not mailed out like they were for TextCraft. Remember
  that TextCraft Plus was a $35.00 upgrade. Transformer is *FREE* - big
  difference there :-)

  To get your Transformer disk upgraded, just take the disk to your dealer.
  Your dealer will then copy the new V1.2 Transformer over your original
  transformer disk. (Original means - CBM labeled version, not the copy
  you made from a guy down the street or dealer!)

  If your dealer says "Transformer upgrade?!? Huh?" - Then tell him/her
  to call their regional rep. for all the details....

  Easy huh? You bet!

  What? You deal mail order with VWXYZ - well then I guess you just found
  out why your local dealer charges just a bit more for the same thing :-)

>Might I just as well bag that thought and just up and buy the new
>version at my friendly local dealer?

  Well its your money :-)

--

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/10/88)

TSI@cup.portal.com writes:
>Harv,
>
>I was trying one of the PK self-unarcing files and it seems to just
>hang the system. I guess there is nothing to be done about that.
>
>BTW, You mentioned DOS2DOS. What is the advantage of it over the
>PC copy utility from the Extras disk. I just started playing with
>the thing a couple of weeks ago but it seems to work ok.
>
>David

I've never tried a PK-self-unarcing file under Transformer so you're
one step ahead of me. Guess now I don't have to bother trying, eh? :-)

The advantage Dos2Dos has over PCcopy is that you don't need a 5.25"
Amiga disk drive to use Dos2Dos.  So...... if you want to move files
off of or onto an MS DOS formatted 3.5" disk (whether 360K or 720K
format) it's a less expensive solution since Dos2Dos is cheaper to
buy than a 5.25" drive.

Dos2Dos will also pretty much elminate the need to find a terminal
program that runs under Transformer/MS Dos. Why? Here's why:

Fire up your usual Amiga term program and go download some IBM stuff
from somewhere. Log off, and fire up Dos2Dos. Shove an MS DOS format
3.5" disk into DF1: and using Dos2Dos' features, copy your downloaded
IBM stuff (after de-arcing, if necessary) directly to that MS DOS
format disk sitting in your drive.  Copy it FROM your Amiga format drive
(be it a physical drive, or RAM: or VD0: or VDK: or VDWhatever:) to the
MS DOS disk.

Now quit Dos2Dos, fire up Transformer and run your IBM stuff.

This way you can download the IBM stuff at the fastest speed your modem
will go, rather than having to crawl along at an effective rate of about
300-600 baud or so which is what you get under Transformer with, say,
Qmodem, even if you get a 2400 baud connection.  Make sense?

disclaimer: I use this stuff but I don't work for any of the companies
who make any of this stuff.

Harv Laser, Sysop, the People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink ID: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
"The man in the crowd with the multicolored mirrors on his hobnail boots"

rn999@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) (08/06/88)

I am interested in purchasing the Transformer software and 5.25" drive
for an Amiga 500, but I know very little about it and would like
to hear opinions.  I am just basically interested in using it to run some
nongraphics oriented software such as Wordperfect 4.0, or Supercalc 3.
Is it possible to purchase Transformer software without the drive,
or is that the only way that it comes packaged?

Also if anyone has either a Transformer that they are thinking about selling
I would like to buy a used one, and would appreciate it if you would get in
touch with me.  I can be responded to or you can write or call me at the
following:

Ross Niebergall
Box 398
Dept. of Mathematics
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN.,
46656
(219)-239-7245

dedina@cup.portal.com (Michael J Dedina) (11/13/88)

I've never paid any attention to discussions about the Transformer
PC emulation software (remember that?), but now all of a sudden I need
to run some IBM software.  So I have some questions about the Transformer.

Will it work with the A500?  Can it handle any graphics at all?  (I just
want to run Lotus and Dollars and Sense, which displays simple graphs).
I know its slow, but is there any other terrible thing I should know before
buying it?  Will it allow printing through the Amiga parallel port?

Thanks...
	Mike Dedina
	dedina@cup.portal.com
	{ucbvax|decwrl|decvax|seismo|hplabs}!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dedina