[comp.sys.amiga] Making music with the AMY

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (11/01/88)

I am interested in finding out what others have done with the audio
capabilities of the Amiga. I have an Amiga 2000, and a professor who
teaches a musical acousitcs course wanting to "modernize" his techniques
of presentation in the classroom. I am particularly interested in any
C code or BASIC code that has been put together to create sound on the
AMY.  I don't have a shopping list  for what it means to modernize, but
I do know that he would like to demonstrate the synthesis of complex
waveforms.

Related to this topic is what can you do with Sonix and DMCII?  Are
they just for entering in musical scores?

Please keep all response in the form of E-Mail. If I receive enough
I will post a summary.
Thanks,
Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/05/88)

Sonix and DMCS are both scoring programs.  Sonix is the lesser of the two,
but offers better samples sound handling.  It does allow some rudimentary
synthesis - offering similar controls of an analog synth.  DMCS is strictly
for scoring.

An interesting program that demonstrates the synthesis of sounds for various
type of instruments (ie string, percussion, etc) is Synthis from The Other
Guys (I think).  I'm not sure if it's still around, but it s very versatile.

Brian T. Yamanaka
University of Illinois student

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (11/13/88)

In article <111400008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Sonix and DMCS are both scoring programs.  Sonix is the lesser of the two,
>
> An interesting program that demonstrates the synthesis of sounds for various
> type of instruments (ie string, percussion, etc) is Synthis from The Other
> Guys (I think).  I'm not sure if it's still around, but it s very versatile.
>
> Brian T. Yamanaka
> University of Illinois student

This is, of course, Synthia and is still available. I just saw an add and
noticed that across the print in big letters it stated "Now Shipping". I
bought a copy a year ago and it was "Now Shipping" then also.

--
"Better graphics with crayons"                 Michael Figg
					       DLA Systems Automation Center