[comp.sys.amiga] Circuit Celler INK

dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) (10/24/88)

[BYTE Magazine] - here Mr. Lineeater, oh please...

   This is the same Steve Ciarcia who, in the August 88 issue of Bytewad
magazine, in the "ASK BYTE" column on page 44 said...

   "The Amiga 500's joystick port is for input only, and there is no way
- short of re-designing, cutting, soldering, and praying - that you can
change this. - Steve"

   You would think that a hardware hacker of this caliber would check this
out before making such a definitive (and totally wrong) statement, or
maybe he never heard of I/O ports.

   My response citing the appropriate Rom Kernal Manual and Hardware
Reference Manual pages has never been published.

   It is symbolic that my BYTE subscription expired with the IBM Special
Edition.

--
| @ @     //    Save the Ewacs Society                  Dave Kinzer         |
|  L     //                                             noao!nud!fbog!dbk   |

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) (10/24/88)

In article <1339@fbog.UUCP>, dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) writes:
> [BYTE Magazine] - here Mr. Lineeater, oh please...
>
>    This is the same Steve Ciarcia who, in the August 88 issue of Bytewad
> magazine, in the "ASK BYTE" column on page 44 said...
>
>    "The Amiga 500's joystick port is for input only, and there is no way
> - short of re-designing, cutting, soldering, and praying - that you can
> change this. - Steve"

	Dave, I am not going to begrudge the guy for being human.  After
	all you made at least one mistake I know of; a common mistake many
	of us made - you subscribed to BYTE :-) :-).  Lighten up dude.

	Ciarcia is one of the guys who made early Byte, ie pre McGraw-Hill,
	interesting.  I figured I owed him a one year subscription to
	CCInk for all of his articles back in those days.  Turns out
	that CCInk is well worth following, however.  And he did say
	he is looking to publish more articles using the Amiga!  So why
	haven't you written an article instead of PMG'ing? :-)  I guess
	I will not subscribe to any newsletters YOU publish :-)  Ha!

>    It is symbolic that my BYTE subscription expired with the IBM Special
> Edition.

> | @ @     //    Save the Ewacs Society                  Dave Kinzer         |

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook

dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) (10/28/88)

In article <1752@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) writes:

>	Dave, I am not going to begrudge the guy for being human.  After
>	all you made at least one mistake I know of; a common mistake many
>	of us made - you subscribed to BYTE :-) :-).  Lighten up dude.

I subscribed to get Best of BIX on Amiga.  Guess what they deleted on my
first issue.

>	Ciarcia is one of the guys who made early Byte, ie pre McGraw-Hill,
>	interesting.  I figured I owed him a one year subscription to
>	CCInk for all of his articles back in those days.  Turns out
>	that CCInk is well worth following, however.  And he did say
>	he is looking to publish more articles using the Amiga!  So why
>	haven't you written an article instead of PMG'ing? :-)  I guess
>	I will not subscribe to any newsletters YOU publish :-)  Ha!

I am not claiming that you should not subscribe, I have had the subscription
form tacked up taunting me for many months now.  Further, I run an Amiga
User group which puts out an approx. 8 page laser typeset newsletter
every month (take that and put a smiley on it).  Giving a CLI class to
help out novice users has also cut into my free time.  The intent of
my flame was to point out the following:

   Steve spoke with authority from a position of ignorance to a large
audience of potential Amiga owners.  He claimed that the machine could
not do something that the designers spent quite some time making it do,
thus de-valuing the computer to the potential buyer.

Steve is a very smart guy, smart enough to know that an Amiga is not
an IBM clone, smart enough to get help when he needs it.  He didn't.

He earned the flame as surely as I would earn it if I stated as fact that
1.4 would not work on a 1000 (WHICH WE ALL KNOW IS FALSE BECAUSE THE
DESIGNERS SPEND QUITE A BIT OF TIME MAKING SURE IT WILL).

So, what is PMG'ing and how many articles have you written yet? :-) :-)

--
| @ @     //    Save the Ewhacs Society                 Dave Kinzer         |
|  L     //New, Improved.^^^^^^ Now even spelled right. noao!nud!fbog!dbk   |

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (11/14/88)

Several people have condemned BYTE magazine lately for a number of things:
	1. Dropping Steve Ciarcia
	2. Leaning heavily toward IBM/Mac/MS-DOS
	3. Promoting the --> OPINIONS <-- of Jerry Pournelle
And I think BYTE deserves all the bad press they've gotten.  I have subscribed
to BYTE since 1980 but I cancelled my subscription last August and they
recently refunded my subscription fee.  Now I only subscribe to Amiga-specific
magazines like Amiga-World, Amazing Computing and Transactor for the Amiga.
Used to get Dr. Dobbs but they are too IBM/MS-DOS/C/Unix for my taste.  I have
five years of back issues to digest.

To return:  Dropping Steve C. is *D*U*M*B*.  Steve's presence made BYTE unique
among the IBM rags.  No longer.  Now they are just another DOS rag.  I
understand they need to keep centered in the computer market to keep readers,
but they have gone so far they are NOT a ->microcomputer <- magazine any
longer.  And their articles seem to consistently slam Amiga and Atari macchine