[comp.sys.amiga] 1.3 AmigaShell "feature" ...

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/11/88)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

Here's a little "anomaly" with the 1.3 AmigaShell that's somewhat of
a nuisance.  Seems that the "Shell-Startup" file doesn't work real
well if it contains embedded tab chars.  At least aliases don't work
if there are any tabs between the alias itself, and the replacement
string!

Comeon!  What happened to that iswhitespace() function, anyway?  I know
I saw it lurking around somewhere or another ...  Sigh.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) (11/14/88)

In article <d0OqV88HaI1010rz=6U@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

> Here's a little "anomaly" with the 1.3 AmigaShell that's somewhat of
> a nuisance.  Seems that the "Shell-Startup" file doesn't work real
> well if it contains embedded tab chars.  At least aliases don't work
> if there are any tabs between the alias itself, and the replacement
> string!

I started defining my own aliases in shell-startup today, and some of them
aren't recognized by the shell.  When I saw this posting, I thought that was
may problem, but I don't have any tabs in my shell-startup file, so there
are some other odd problem with shell-startup, not just tabs.

Upon opening a new shell, only about two-thirds of the aliases in my
shell-startup are recognized by the new shell, and I have no idea why
some take and some don't.  However, if I manually execute my shell-startup,
everything gets recognized.  Wierd stuff.
--
// Alan Bland - att!druwy!mab
// AT&T Bell Laboratories, Denver CO

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/15/88)

In article <3683@druwy.ATT.COM> mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) writes:
>shell-startup are recognized by the new shell, and I have no idea why
>some take and some don't.  However, if I manually execute my shell-startup,
>everything gets recognized.  Wierd stuff.
>--

Send me a copy of your Shell-Startup file and I'll see what's
going on.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"