[comp.sys.amiga] BlitzDisk and FFS ok?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/08/88)

I just started using BlitzDisk on my hard drive, and there are all kind
of dire warnings in the manual about possible unknown "BAD THINGS"
happening with the FFS and BlitzDisk. The manual says to check with
Microsmiths on BIX to see if BlitzDisk has been officially approved for
use with the FFS.

Could some kind soul with a BIX account inquire of Charlie Heath if the
combination of FFS and BlitzDisk has been blessed?

For those using BlitzDisk (part of the TxEd Plus package), I've found
that a very small CLIP limit (I'm using 5) is better than DIRONLY if you
use the Workbench much. DIRONLY means just that, you get no caching on
.info files, so opening drawers come off the HD instead of out of the
cache. Using a CLIP value of 5 lets 2.5K files load in to the cache,
which is plenty for most icons.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/10/88)

In article <1062@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Could some kind soul with a BIX account inquire of Charlie Heath if the
>combination of FFS and BlitzDisk has been blessed?

Charlie has not blessed the combination; he suggests waiting
until he comes out with a version of BlitzDisk that he knows is
safe to use with FFS.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (11/17/88)

In article <5208@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>Charlie has not blessed the combination; he suggests waiting
>until he comes out with a version of BlitzDisk that he knows is
>safe to use with FFS.

But it is probably worth pointing out that AddBuffers, when applied
to an FFS hard disk partition, uses *fast* RAM, not chip, giving most
of the effect of BlitzDisk.  The missing features are, of course,
caching directory blocks only, and allowing you to decrease as well
as increase the cache size during a given session.
   I have AddBuffers FAST: 200 in my Startup-Sequence and am pleased
with the result.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu