[comp.sys.amiga] Will there be a "FaccIII"?

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/16/88)

[ "The best government, is no government at all." ]

Now that hard disks are becoming alot more available for the Amiga, and since
ASDG has blown-off the SDP/SDPI controller (sniff), I'd like to know if there
are any plans for a "FaccIII", (or maybe a "HaccI" :-) ), hard disk caching
program?

Done properly, and with some intelligent prefetch and replacement algorithms,
such a product could provide even better filesystem performance than we're
seeing even with the FFS (perhaps especially so for DMA controllers, that
can suffer when lot's of DMA cycles are being used to display hi-res pics,
etc.)

Has anybody tried the hard disk patch to FaccII that was posted awhile back
to see if it works OK with the FFS, and if so, what were the results?

Anyone else working on HD caching programs?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

glenns@microsoft.UUCP (Glenn Steffler) (11/17/88)

In article <d2ri.cbz4g1010ka7VE@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> I'd like to know if there ... hard disk caching program?

>Done properly, and with some intelligent prefetch and replacement algorithms,
>such a product could provide even better filesystem performance than we're
>seeing even with the FFS

All I know is that a hard disk caching can be done adequately with
simple track caching.  ( LRU algorithm )  Some more complex algorithms
and mechanisms actually degrade your performance.  I haven't
seen the FFS specs, so I can't comment on how the directory info
is stored, so directory caching smarts may not be required.

Since path searching is the main problem (the Amiga doesn't have
memory management stuff, so multiple reads aren't too common
compared with machines (I mean OS's) that page swap etc) A cach which
uses some smarts could even avoid track caching in favor of some
type of file path/name cach.

Just some thoughts for you guys with hard disks.  I'm still soft :-((

--
Microsoft doesn't know             Buggs                Glenn Patrick Steffler
I have these opinions.                                   glenns@Microsoft.UUCP