[comp.sys.amiga] What does flashing caps-lock key mean?

dedina@cup.portal.com (Michael J Dedina) (11/11/88)

Ocassionally when I boot my A500 the caps-lock key flashes steadily on and
off, and the keyboard locks up.  The machine boots succesfully, however,
and the mouse works and I can use workbench.  Usually if I shut off
the power and wait a few minutes, the problem goes away.  Does anyone
know what a flashing caps-lock key means?

mikhe@majestix.liu.se (Mike Henry) (11/15/88)

In article <11168@cup.portal.com> dedina@cup.portal.com (Michael J Dedina) writes:
>the power and wait a few minutes, the problem goes away.  Does anyone
>know what a flashing caps-lock key means?

    For those of you who don't have TransAmi #3 (UK) B^);
    At startup the keyboard does a self test and flashes the CAPS_LOCK
    as a reply, if anything has gone wrong:

	One Blink	The Keyboard ROM check failed
	Two Blinks	The Keyboard RAM check failed
	Three Blinks	The Watchdog timer test failed
	Four Blinks	A short exists between two row lines or
			one of the seven special control keys.

    Maybe this'll help ya' B^)

		-Mike
--
INET : mikhe@majestix.liu.se                                          ///
UUCP : {seismo,mcvax,munnari}!enea!liuida!majestix!mikhe             ///

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/16/88)

In article <1040@majestix.liu.se>, mikhe@majestix.liu.se (Mike Henry) writes:
>     For those of you who don't have TransAmi #3 (UK) B^);
>     At startup the keyboard does a self test and flashes the CAPS_LOCK
>     as a reply, if anything has gone wrong:
>
> 	One Blink	The Keyboard ROM check failed
> 	Two Blinks	The Keyboard RAM check failed
> 	Three Blinks	The Watchdog timer test failed
> 	Four Blinks	A short exists between two row lines or
> 			one of the seven special control keys.

Good stuff to know ... should be in the Tech Ref manual(s), at least, along
with the screen colors (and power led codes, if there are any).  However ...

I think the original poster of this article was wondering what it means when
it starts continuously blinking for no apparent reason once you've been up
and running for awhile (and the keyboard is locked, and if you wait awhile,
the machine'll probably crash).

First, if you have a 2000, and catch the condition before the machine crashes
(or gets sent a reset signal by the keyboard ?), quickly unplugging and re-
plugging the keyboard cable may "clear" the condition.  It did for me (easier
if you have an extension cable between Amy and the keyboard).

When this condition finally became too frequent to be bearable for me (and
thus was happening often enough to try and isolate the problem), I eventually
tracked it down to very ugly looking solder joints where the keyboard's
crystal is soldered to the board.  I re-soldered those two connections, and
haven't had a problem since.

When I responded to a similar problem awhile back here on the net, I got some
email from the person that was having the problem.  He said he'd resoldered
several points near his 500's keyboard and that solved the problem for him
too.  He didn't mention the xtal joints in particular, but that's where I'd
start looking ... try tapping on various components to see if you can localize
it to a "sensitive area", then do a close visual inspection, looking for poor
joints, etc.  Make sure any socketed components are well seated as well (if
there are any).

If working on h/w isn't something you're comfortable with, have someone who
is used to troubleshooting things do it for you.

Hope this helps ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (11/17/88)

In article <1040@majestix.liu.se> mikhe@majestix.liu.se (Mike Henry) writes:
>    At startup the keyboard does a self test and flashes the CAPS_LOCK
>    as a reply, if anything has gone wrong:
>
>	One Blink	The Keyboard ROM check failed
>	Two Blinks	The Keyboard RAM check failed
>	Three Blinks	The Watchdog timer test failed
>	Four Blinks	A short exists between two row lines or
>			one of the seven special control keys.

I do hope you're not referring to the A2000 keyboard here, because every time
I a) switch on my Amy or b) press the magic three buttons my CapsLock LED
flashes one time.
If this DOES mean bad ROM, I've never noticed any problems.
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Here's looking at you, kid!
		-- the Medusa