[comp.sys.amiga] Monochrome monitor recomendations?

jmpiazza@sunybcs. (Joseph M. Piazza) (10/28/88)

	I'm going to make the a 2000 plunge via 1000 trade-in and buyback.
To save some money I intend to get a nice monochrome monitor.  The features
I am looking for:

	Amber screen
	Greyscale  -- not just ON or OFF (amberscale? :-)
	400 line resolution interlaced
	400 lines non-interlaced (for new custom chips)

	I gather that a monochrome would be graet for text processing and
would be a worthwile investment so while I'd like to spend as little as
possible ($150 or less) I would pay a higher price for better performance.

	Do my expectations bear any resemblance to reality?  Corrections
gladly accepted.

	Please respond via e-mail.  I'll summarize and post.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

fullmer@dover.uucp (Glen Fullmer) (11/01/88)

If I wanted mono-chrome I would buy a NeXT!

--
  _____     _  "First you do it once, then you do it for fun,"
 {____/    //  "next you do it seriously and then you're done." Jerry Rubin

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (11/01/88)

In article <494@dover.uucp> fullmer@dover.uucp (Glen Fullmer) writes:

> If I wanted mono-chrome I would buy a NeXT!
>
>  {____/  </_</_/ / <_  {sun!sunburn | cadillac} !dover!fullmer

:-) :-) :-) Yeah, all that machine is good for is cheap :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) monochrome graphics.  Even the box has no color! :-) :-) :-)

Tom
--
              Tom Limoncelli -- Student Network Supervisor
      Drew University, Box 1060, Madison NJ 07940 -- 201-408-5389

jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza) (11/09/88)

	Here's a preliminary follow-up to my request for recomendations
for a nice monochrome monitor with the following features:

	Amber screen
	Greyscale  -- not just ON or OFF (amberscale? :-)
	400 line resolution interlaced
	400 lines non-interlaced (for new custom chips)
	and cost $150 or less (but willing to spend more if needed)

	I recieved three replies: from Yuan Chang [yuan@uhccux.BITNET],
Neil Weinstock [rutgers!garage.att.com!nsw], and Stuart Pierce
[rutgers!pnet01.cts.com!spierce]).

	Each suggested the NEC MultiSynch GS (Grey Scale).
There was no clear concensus on whether it was available B&W, Amber, or both.
The price should be $200, more or less.

	Stuart also suggested the Princeton Max-15. "The Princeton is a full
15in. and handles up to 1024 x 768, but I don't know the price."

	I was attracted to a Zenith ZMM-149A monitor that is PS/2 compatible.
It has upto 640 x 480 resolution, 60-70 Hz refresh rate (should work so far,
yes?), and 31.49 kHz horizontal scan frequency (is that normal?).  The
university price is $157.  Will this work with current Amigas?  Will it do
interlace?  Will it work with the new chip set?

Thanks,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza) (11/18/88)

	Here's a summary of the features I was looking for a good
monochrome monitor:

	Amber screen
	Greyscale  -- not just ON or OFF (amberscale? :-)
	400 line resolution interlaced
	400 lines non-interlaced (for new custom chips)
	and cost $150 or less (but willing to spend more if needed)

	Just as color multi-synch monitors are the choice for for best
compatibilities for the future, a multi-synch monochrome is also desirable.

	There seems to be only two widely available choices (after a two week
search):  the NEC Multisynch GS (Grey Scale) and the Princeton Max15.

	The NEC is available in white, amber, and green while
the Princeton is only available in white.  The NEC can be had for about $200
and the Princeton can be had from PC Connection for $269.  I chose the NEC
for Amber as well as the lower price (the $69 will by me a desk for me new
2000).

	Thanks to Neil Weinstock [rutgers!garage.att.com!nsw], Stuart Pierce
[rutgers!pnet01.cts.com!spierce], Lionel Hummel [hummel@s.cs.uiuc.edu],
and Dave Haynie [daveh@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com] for their responses.

	In a preliminary follow-up I asked whether a PS/2 compatible
(a Zenith ZMM-149A) will fit my needs.  It won't.   The problem
is its 31.49 kHz horizontal scan frequency.  This will work in some modes of
the new chip set but would be rather useless for current Amigas that want a
NTSC's 15.6 kHz rate.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.